Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2014, 10:37 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,745,361 times

Advertisements

Well, we were talking about vulnerable Windows making AV necessary in the first place. If MS made a better, safer OS, we would not need all that additional software.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2014, 05:55 PM

6,590 posts, read 11,288,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Well, we were talking about vulnerable Windows making AV necessary in the first place. If MS made a better, safer OS, we would not need all that additional software.
And that is where you're wrong. Based on your logic, had Windows not been invented (or if we could somehow remove their products), there would be no need for AV. Which is obviously not correct. You do know the first 'virus' (I believe it was actually a worm) wasn't even on a Personal Computer.

Does Windows have vulnerabilities? Absolutely. And their security architecture can certainly be better. But show me an OS that doesn't have vulnerabilities. Every piece of major software written has vulnerabilities. And as they become more complicated, more vulnerabilities will likely exist. And yes you'll still need security software regardless of what OS you run. In fact, A/V software as we know it is pretty much on its last leg.

Old 11-15-2014, 06:31 AM

But all OS's are not equal. Others are simply safer. OSX has protection built into it which is why there is not much commercial AV software for Apple. Which brings me back to the original post, where I said that if MS did a better job at making their Windows safer and better, we would not have to worry about such problems and spend money on third-party software in the first place. I mean, the AV industry has become a big business, based on the fears of computer users.

Old 11-17-2014, 07:37 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,698,509 times
Spybot recently released full blown virus scan software. Everyone trusts Spybot and get this: It's $14/PER YEAR.

If I was going to pay for one, it would be that one.
Try the free version first. It IS quality.

http://www.safer-networking.org/dl/

Old 11-17-2014, 09:55 AM

3,718 posts, read 5,696,809 times
I apologize if I sound like I am hijacking this thread, but my question is similar to the OP's.

I have a HP Pavilion with Win 8. The Norton that came pre-installed on the laptop has expired. Should I renew it? Or should should I go for a better/more affordable alternative? If that latter, what would you suggest?

Thank you.

Old 11-17-2014, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Spybot recently released full blown virus scan software. Everyone trusts Spybot and get this: It's $14/PER YEAR.

If I was going to pay for one, it would be that one.
Try the free version first. It IS quality.

Download | Spybot ©
Has any organization or magazine ever tested and evaluated it thoroughly?
I remember the old Spybot from years ago, I am actually surprised they are still around...

Old 11-17-2014, 02:54 PM

16,548 posts, read 19,698,509 times
Spybot - Search & Destroy +AV 2.3 Review & Rating | PCMag.com

Erg... I retract my recommendation.

Old 11-17-2014, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post

Yeah, better stick with Rusky Kaspersky or something like that.
I am still testing the Qihoo thingy, I like it
I am wondering though how they pay their employees since it is free

Old 11-21-2014, 07:54 PM

749 posts, read 920,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Norton 360.

No one anti virus software is the best.

I also use multiple malware/trojan Removal tools from several different companies as well as Norton Power eraser that comes with 360.

Think layers when you think security.

Also make sure your operating software is constantly being updated to ensure its patched when a new one comes out. As well as spend some time understanding your firewall and how programs communicate thru it.

Your second paragraph: "I also use multiple malware/Trojan Removal Tools......."

Do you use them in conjunction with Norton 360? I have been under the impression that only one can be
used at a time.

Old 11-21-2014, 08:20 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hittheroadjack View Post
Your second paragraph: "I also use multiple malware/Trojan Removal Tools......."

Do you use them in conjunction with Norton 360? I have been under the impression that only one can be
used at a time.
You should only use one real-time protection antivirus utility at a time. However, additional malware scanning software, such as malware-bytes is okay to run in the foreground.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers