Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2014, 02:59 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Go look at the vast array of video tools available for Windows compared to MAC. I used to be part of video forum years ago and I'd wander into the MAC forum occasionally. It used to amaze me how much they would struggle with many things where there was simple tool available for Win. I can remeber one particular thread where someone was trying to convert between type-1 and type-2 DV. The only difference between these two is how the audio is stored and there was numerous tools to do it under Win.
Aren't type-1 and type-2 DV just variations of how audio is carried in DV AVI files?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2014, 03:46 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Aren't type-1 and type-2 DV just variations of how audio is carried in DV AVI files?
Correct but "back in the day" some editors would only accept one or the other. If I recall correctly most of the Mac software expected type 2 and most of the Windows software defaulted to type 1. If you transferred using a Win machine and sent it off to your buddy who had a Mac machine now you have an issue.

If you're on a win machine.... Canopus DV File Converter 1.02 If you were on Mac machine back then the advice was find a Win machine. LOL

You shouldn't need a tool like that now no matter what editor.

Old 11-21-2014, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Correct but "back in the day" some editors would only accept one or the other. If I recall correctly most of the Mac software expected type 2 and most of the Windows software defaulted to type 1. If you transferred using a Win machine and sent it off to your buddy who had a Mac machine now you have an issue.

If you're on a win machine.... Canopus DV File Converter 1.02 If you were on Mac machine back then the advice was find a Win machine. LOL

You shouldn't need a tool like that now no matter what editor.
Macs don't support DV-AVI natively because it's a Windows Proprietary format. Similar to how Windows machines don't natively support Mac *.DV files natively. You're not going to find free open source software for something that requires a license from Microsoft (Windows includes the license).

Either way, a few video editing tools don't really compete with the massive Linux and Unix open source libraries out there.

Old 11-21-2014, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Macs don't support DV-AVI natively because it's a Windows Proprietary format. Similar to how Windows machines don't natively support Mac *.DV files natively. You're not going to find free open source software for something that requires a license from Microsoft (Windows includes the license).

Either way, a few video editing tools don't really compete with the massive Linux and Unix open source libraries out there.
"AVI" is just a container file like .MOV, it's not a format. Doing a quick refresh I had it backwards, type 1 would be the raw DV stream or .DV in the Mac world. It was type 2 they had trouble with. There was plenty of support on the windows side for DV-AVI(type1 or type 2), .DV or .DV in a .MOV container.

Old 11-21-2014, 07:45 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,698,509 times
Quote:
"AVI" is just a container file like .MOV, it's not a format.
You seriously don't need to get THAT technical about it. FOr this discussion it certainly could be called a format. To suggest it is a CONTAINER file would imply that you can open it up like a zip file and get a different file out of it. Yes, technically, it certainly is a Container but have you ever had an AVI that WASN'T audio or video? I bet not.

Old 11-21-2014, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
You seriously don't need to get THAT technical about it. FOr this discussion it certainly could be called a format. To suggest it is a CONTAINER file would imply that you can open it up like a zip file and get a different file out of it. Yes, technically, it certainly is a Container but have you ever had an AVI that WASN'T audio or video? I bet not.
Thanks. Is going to reply, but didn't want to focus on it. Obviously a container is a format. It's a file format that can contain various video formats.

Old 11-21-2014, 07:51 AM

Quote:
"AVI" is just a container file like .MOV, it's not a format. Doing a quick refresh I had it backwards, type 1 would be the raw DV stream or .DV in the Mac world. It was type 2 they had trouble with. There was plenty of support on the windows side for DV-AVI(type1 or type 2), .DV or .DV in a .MOV container.
I'm sure anyone here can name various extreme cases where open source software is easily available on Unix and not on windows. I don't see how or why you think the open source community on windows is larger than on Unix.

Old 11-21-2014, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Yes, technically, it certainly is a Container but have you ever had an AVI that WASN'T audio or video? I bet not.
That's the common term because the video and audio in an AVI file can be practically any type of video; DV, Huffy, Divx, .MPG........

Old 11-21-2014, 04:41 PM

Quote:
I don't see how or why you think the open source community on windows is larger than on Unix.
I don't see how or why you drew that conclusion since the only comparisons I have made is what was available under the Win and Mac platforms.

Old 11-21-2014, 06:29 PM

Quote:
I don't see how or why you drew that conclusion since the only comparisons I have made is what was available under the Win and Mac platforms.
Simple. Mac runs OSX, which is based on Unix. Most popular Unix software is available for macs. Those which aren't, simply need to be recompiled with new BSD libraries.

There's a reason why technologists use macs. Because it can run the same software as Unix workstations and servers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers