Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2014, 10:41 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,694,717 times

Advertisements

We were more concerned that you were okay. I can see where being a mod would take a lot of time.

I agree with Mensaguy. Temp files and allotted storage can cause problems.

Ccleaner does help. I use it regularly, sometimes more than once a day. I have Firefox set to delete all history when I exit.

My Ccleaner settings for cleanup. Not the default settings. Ignore the double up for utilities at the bottom there are three pics here.

And to show you that it is not necessary to have a lot of programs running at startup here is my list of start up programs. I have disabled all of them by double clicking them on this screen. Every once in a while Ccleaner will add it's program again and I turn it off. I think there's a way to stop this by removing a check mark in the program, but I've not had time to mess with it when I remember I should look.

Old 12-08-2014, 03:49 PM

44,353 posts, read 20,059,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
You might want to use the Registry Repair within Glary Utilities. Like one of the previous respondents, I use both CCleaner and Glary Utilities regularly to clean up the internet residue and help maintain my privacy and security. You might also want to regularly defragment your hard drive after you've deleted files with CCleaner and Glary Utilities. The above actions will speed things up.

Don't also just rely on your resident antivirus. I would use an online scanner like f-secure or bitdefender every now and then.
Noted. Thanks!

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 12-08-2014, 03:52 PM

The graphic is very helpful, Tek. Muchas gracias!

I'll try to work on this, come Saturday. I'll let everyone know how it goes. Fingers crossed!

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 12-08-2014, 06:54 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,838,779 times
Good Luck Pam

Old 12-13-2014, 10:28 PM

Okay, I was only home for about an hour today (Sat), but finally had a chance to look at this again. I have good news to report!

I unplugged both my router and my modem for about 10 minutes and then started them back up. I sent some test emails and attached images and documents, and they transmitted quickly. Yay! I was also able to format (not sure that's the correct term) images via my usual TinyPic.com and send them to a C-D member via DM. I also have been on C-D for about half an hour now and have not lost my connection.

I'm surprised that unplugging the router and modem made such a difference, as I tried that before, more than once, to no avail. I'm not certain the problem is corrected; will have to spend some more time here on Sunday afternoon (my next opportunity) and test it some more. But so far, there's a marked improvement on speed and ability to remain connected to C-D, TinyPic and my emails are going through quickly. Woo-hoo!

Thank you all so much for your advice. Although, I must admit that the conflicting advice is pretty confusing. E.g, someone would recommend a certain program or action, and someone else would DM me and say, "Don't do that. It's crap." It's pretty hard to tell which bits of advice are the best. I know everyone's intentions are good, and I appreciate that very much!

I'll report back again after I've tested my PC some more.

Old 12-14-2014, 03:02 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,838,779 times
Yes unplugging cable modem usually has a very good effect (I think if they are left online TOO LONG,they can lose sync,etc)

Im glad things are better for ya!!

Old 12-14-2014, 06:37 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,718,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Exactly. The clowns that do nothing but suggest to people on here to wipe and reload all the time do it because they have no clue how to actually solve a problem.
You're not seeing the big picture. Because once the problem is isolated to the computer and the ISP/router is ruled out, reformatting and re-installing DOES, in fact, solve the problem. And can make more sense than a long, drawn-out trial and error exercise, sometimes in futility.

No one should do this without fully understanding the process, and few do. For those who understand the need for back-up storage of all driver files and to back up all other files they wish to keep - and skilled users do that anyway - there is simply no need to opt for a continued dart board throw, with a sure bet at their fingertips.

The try "anything and everything else" first advice is akin to telling a person not to shower, but rather to wash one body part at a time until they smell better.

No need to call others "clowns" for having a different point of view.

Old 12-14-2014, 08:30 AM

16,672 posts, read 15,668,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
You're not seeing the big picture. Because once the problem is isolated to the computer and the ISP/router is ruled out, reformatting and re-installing DOES, in fact, solve the problem. And can make more sense than a long, drawn-out trial and error exercise, sometimes in futility.

No one should do this without fully understanding the process, and few do. For those who understand the need for back-up storage of all driver files and to back up all other files they wish to keep - and skilled users do that anyway - there is simply no need to opt for a continued dart board throw, with a sure bet at their fingertips.

The try "anything and everything else" first advice is akin to telling a person not to shower, but rather to wash one body part at a time until they smell better.

No need to call others "clowns" for having a different point of view.
Your comment does not take into account the fact that most of the people who come to this forum seeking advice are not qualified to do a format/reinstall on their computer. Like you said, "No one should do this without fully understanding the process, and few do." Most who come and ask us for help do not understand the process, so we offer them advice hey can use and follow.

I would guess that most people capable of doing a format/reinstall don't even come her and ask us to help solve their problems.

Old 12-14-2014, 11:14 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,994,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
there is simply no need to opt for a continued dart board throw, with a sure bet at their fingertips.

That's the difference between you and those of us that know what we're doing. We don't do "dart board throws", we make educated suggestions based on the information supplied. Telling everyone to format and reload is of no use at all to anyone and just makes any answers you post suspect.

Old 12-14-2014, 02:30 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,718,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Your comment does not take into account the fact that most of the people who come to this forum seeking advice are not qualified to do a format/reinstall on their computer. Like you said, "No one should do this without fully understanding the process, and few do." Most who come and ask us for help do not understand the process, so we offer them advice hey can use and follow.

I would guess that most people capable of doing a format/reinstall don't even come her and ask us to help solve their problems.
Point well taken.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers