Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2014, 05:33 PM

15,432 posts, read 25,814,526 times

Advertisements

The last time I had an issue with FF was probably 5 years or more ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2014, 06:14 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Yep. Fine with that. I don't dislike Yahoo.
What they do with a new install is their business but changing user defaults on an existing install is whole other issue.

Old 12-10-2014, 07:42 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,698,509 times
How much did you pay for Firefox, Coalman?

How long does it take to switch your Search Provider back to Google?

Don't fall Mozilla for doing whatever they need to do to make a buck. And something as innocuous as changing who the default search engine that the Mozilla home page uses??? Come on...
If your "Start" page was set to something else, you wouldn't even notice this change.

Old 12-10-2014, 09:44 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
How much did you pay for Firefox, Coalman?

That's besides the point, randomly switching a users defaults is just a poor practice across the board no matter who is doing it. For me it's really irrelevant however for someone like my parents whom I've told to call me if for example their search page looks different it's an issue. As you know the search is commonly hijacked by malware.

Old 12-11-2014, 12:28 AM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times
Join the club, IE11, Chrome.......HTML5 threw a wrench in the whole works. Aren't these programmers supposed to be ultra-smart?????????????

Old 12-11-2014, 08:27 PM

43,292 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
That's besides the point, randomly switching a users defaults is just a poor practice across the board no matter who is doing it. For me it's really irrelevant however for someone like my parents whom I've told to call me if for example their search page looks different it's an issue. As you know the search is commonly hijacked by malware.
Yep.
"Making a buck" is hardly a defense a decent company would use for slamming something on a user.
Kinda like Java slamming Ask or Adobe slamming GOOG on updaters.

Business may be business, but ignorant business behavior is still bad behavior.

Old 12-16-2014, 01:12 AM

3,477 posts, read 6,511,864 times
Finally had my first crash after months of browsing. Was trying to scroll down the page in Woot.com and it locked up. One time in six months? I can live with that.

Old 12-17-2014, 07:42 AM

3,279 posts, read 5,318,749 times
Yes, Firefox crashes with me ALL the time. The main thing it loves and I mean just LOVES to do is give you that "a script on this page may be busy" and it then gives you the options of "continue" or "stop script." I get this ALL the time with Firefox on every machine except the older (32, I think) version that used to be on my older Windows XP laptop. (And no, XP has nothing to do with it, because I also used to get that same error message on my my wife's previous XP desktop.)

If there is a fix for that, I'd be open to do it, but it needs to be EASY, as in un-check one box and that's it, and it shouldn't compromise any features or mandate any "workarounds" in doing so.

My other complaints--yes, it updates too much, twice a year is all it should require, and don't do it automatically, wait until I TELL YOU to update--and yes, I still expect no viruses. The other, more recent thing--I'm not sure what version it is, but they ruined the search box, which is one feature that had me hanging onto Firefox, because they were the only ones that had the separate search box, a design I strongly prefer. (To me, combining the search box and URL box is an awful design.) The different options used to be in "list" view, which made it easy--tab over, press F4, arrow-down to the one you want, press ENTER, then type in what you're searching for. Now that listing is in "grid" view, and it's not anywhere near as intuitive or quick with the keyboard.

They used to be my favorite browser, but anymore they're just awful. I just Opera or Chrome anymore. Opera has been prompting me for the past 5-7 months to update, I press NO and get on with my life, and I've had no problems. I will update it at some point, but it's when I freaking feel like it and not a moment sooner--and yes, there should still be no viruses anyway.

Old 12-17-2014, 11:40 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,720,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
Yes, Firefox crashes with me ALL the time. The main thing it loves and I mean just LOVES to do is give you that "a script on this page may be busy" and it then gives you the options of "continue" or "stop script." I get this ALL the time with Firefox on every machine except the older (32, I think) version that used to be on my older Windows XP laptop. (And no, XP has nothing to do with it, because I also used to get that same error message on my my wife's previous XP desktop.)

If there is a fix for that, I'd be open to do it, but it needs to be EASY, as in un-check one box and that's it, and it shouldn't compromise any features or mandate any "workarounds" in doing so.

My other complaints--yes, it updates too much, twice a year is all it should require, and don't do it automatically, wait until I TELL YOU to update--and yes, I still expect no viruses. The other, more recent thing--I'm not sure what version it is, but they ruined the search box, which is one feature that had me hanging onto Firefox, because they were the only ones that had the separate search box, a design I strongly prefer. (To me, combining the search box and URL box is an awful design.) The different options used to be in "list" view, which made it easy--tab over, press F4, arrow-down to the one you want, press ENTER, then type in what you're searching for. Now that listing is in "grid" view, and it's not anywhere near as intuitive or quick with the keyboard.

They used to be my favorite browser, but anymore they're just awful. I just Opera or Chrome anymore. Opera has been prompting me for the past 5-7 months to update, I press NO and get on with my life, and I've had no problems. I will update it at some point, but it's when I freaking feel like it and not a moment sooner--and yes, there should still be no viruses anyway.
Indeed they are....since at least as far back as version 27 - maybe a little further.

So why not use a version that wasn't awful? I use version 13 and it is fast and smooth, though occasionally I do get the busy script messages you mention. And it has a separate search box - didn't know that had been dropped.

Old 12-17-2014, 12:07 PM

15,432 posts, read 25,814,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post

Are you using NoScript or other add on to block scripts? I've only ever seen what you describe when using those addons. Check the settings. I'll bet that all it takes is a simple checkbox.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers