Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 08:03 AM

1,913 posts, read 8,908,132 times

Advertisements

I have had my new computer with Windows Vista since June/July 07' and I have had it in for service on numerous occassions.
It was running very slow, screen always looked funky, shutting down on it's own in the middle of work then the hard drive went.
Thankfully, it was still under the one year warranty.

I got it back and it runs just as slow and I'm having problems again with it. ...
I just did some more research on Windows Vista.

Apparently there is a Windows Experience Index
So I click on it and get some info...this is what it stated:

What is the Windows Experience Index?

The Windows Experience Index measures the capability of your computer's hardware and software configuration and expresses this measurement as a number called a base score. A higher base score generally means that your computer will perform better and faster than a computer with a lower base score, especially when performing more advanced and resource-intensive tasks.

Each hardware component receives an individual subscore. Your computer's base score is determined by the lowest subscore. For example, if the lowest subscore of an individual hardware component is 2.6, then the base score is 2.6. The base score is not an average of the combined subscores.

You can use the base score to confidently buy programs and other software that are matched to your computer's base score. For example, if your computer has a base score of 3.3, then you can confidently purchase any software designed for this version of Windows that requires a computer with a base score of 3 or lower.

To view your computer's base score
Click to open Performance Information and Tools.

If you don't see subscores and a base score, click Score this computer.

About your computer's base score
The base score represents the overall performance of your system as a whole, based on the capabilities of different parts of your computer, including random access memory (RAM), central processing unit (CPU), hard disk, general graphics performance on the desktop, and 3‑D graphics capability.

Here are general descriptions of the kind of experience you can expect from a computer that receives the following base scores:

A computer with a base score of 1 or 2 usually has sufficient performance to do most general computing tasks, such as run office productivity applications and search the Internet. However, a computer with this base score is generally not powerful enough to run Windows Aero, or the advanced multimedia experiences that are available with Windows Vista.

A computer with a base score of 3 is able to run Windows Aero and many new features of Windows Vista at a basic level. Some of the new Windows Vista advanced features might not have all of their functionality available. For example, a machine with a base score of 3 can display the Windows Vista theme at a resolution of 1280 × 1024, but might struggle to run the theme on multiple monitors. Or, it can play digital TV content but might struggle to play High Definition Television (HDTV) content.

A computer with a base score of 4 or 5 is able to run all new features of Windows Vista with full functionality, and it is able to support high-end, graphics-intensive experiences, such as multiplayer and 3‑D gaming and recording and playback of HDTV content. Computers with a base score of 5 were the highest performing computers available when Windows Vista was released.

The Windows Experience Index is designed to accommodate advances in computer technology. As hardware speed and performance improves, higher base scores will be introduced. However, the standards for each level of the index stay the same. For example, a computer scored as a 2.8 should remain a 2.8 unless you decide to upgrade the computer's hardware.

If a particular program or Windows Vista experience requires a higher score than your base score, you can upgrade your hardware to meet the necessary base score. If you install new hardware and want to see if you score has changed, click Update my score. To view details about the hardware on your computer, click View and print details.

About your computer's subscore
The subscores are the result of tests run on the RAM, CPU, hard disk, general desktop graphics, and 3‑D gaming graphics hardware components of your computer. If your base score is not sufficient for a program or Windows Vista experience, you can use the subscores to help you figure out which components you need to upgrade.

The base score is a good indicator of how your computer will perform generally. The subscores can help you understand your computer's level of performance for specific experiences:

Office productivity. If you use your computer almost exclusively for office productivity experiences, such as word processing, spreadsheets, e‑mail, and web browsing, then high subscores in the CPU and memory categories are important. Subscores of 2.0 or higher are usually sufficient in the hard disk, desktop graphics, and 3‑D graphics categories.

Gaming and graphic-intensive programs. If you use your computer for games or programs that are graphic-intensive, such as digital video editing applications or realistic first-person games, then high subscores in the RAM, desktop graphics, and 3‑D gaming graphics categories are important. Subscores of 3.0 or higher are usually sufficient in the CPU and hard disk categories.

Media Center experience. If you use your computer as a media center for advanced multimedia experiences such as recording HDTV programming, then high subscores in the CPU, hard disk, and desktop graphics categories are important. Subscores of 3.0 or higher are usually sufficient in the memory and 3‑D graphics categories.

*This is all news to me*...btw, my computer has a base score of 3.
Which more than likely explains why I have problems with it.
It would be nice if this was all explained upfront when I purchased the computer. ...maybe it would go something like this...
"Oh, btw...your computer has a score of 3 which means you are not going to be able to run all new features of Windows Vista with full functionality"!!!

Anyone else have info on this? And/or are you aware of this rating system?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2008, 04:14 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,669,863 times
I think your problem has more to do with either your processor, memory, and video capability, or a combination of these. Some computer manufacturers are loading Vista onto computers that have low end hardware. IMO, to run Vista features you need to have a processor speed of 2 GHz minimum, 2 Gigs of memory, AND a separate video card (min of 128 Meg memory). Now, this doesn't mean you will not have any problems with Vista bugs.

BTW: My score is 4.2 (lowest score on video with a 256 Meg video card).

Old 01-05-2008, 05:32 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,779,163 times
Hmmmm....I have two laptops with Vista; one has a 3.0 and the other has a 2.8. None of them run badly however.

Personally, I think it's a stupid scoring system. But I guess it's geared at people who can't read the system requirements on different software and peripheral items.

Old 01-05-2008, 06:34 PM

534 posts, read 2,408,376 times
Welcome to vista. Slowness is a feature not a bug.

Old 01-05-2008, 08:43 PM

Question Be honest...are these #'s any good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Man View Post
I think your problem has more to do with either your processor, memory, and video capability, or a combination of these. Some computer manufacturers are loading Vista onto computers that have low end hardware. IMO, to run Vista features you need to have a processor speed of 2 GHz minimum, 2 Gigs of memory, AND a separate video card (min of 128 Meg memory). Now, this doesn't mean you will not have any problems with Vista bugs.

BTW: My score is 4.2 (lowest score on video with a 256 Meg video card).
^^^If that's the case...my computer basically..... sucks....
Processor speed: 4300 @ 1.80GHz ......if it needs a minimum of 2 why didn't they tell me that???

Memory: 1014 MB...I have a feeling that number sucks too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbugmiami View Post
Welcome to vista. Slowness is a feature not a bug.
Nice...lol

Old 01-06-2008, 07:28 AM

534 posts, read 2,408,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citybythebay View Post
Processor speed: 4300 @ 1.80GHz ......if it needs a minimum of 2 why didn't they tell me that???
Memory: 1014 MB...I have a feeling that number sucks too...
He's saing in his opinion, thats what vista needs. By m$ definition, it only needs 1 gig. I agree with his opinion, you want 2. What processor do you have? OEM's are selling machines that will run vista, barely, but people are having to upgrade them or deal with it. Adding another gig of ram may help you out. You are probably stuck with the processor, so if its bugging you, id get the ram, its easy.

Old 01-06-2008, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbugmiami View Post
He's saing in his opinion, thats what vista needs. By m$ definition, it only needs 1 gig. I agree with his opinion, you want 2. What processor do you have? OEM's are selling machines that will run vista, barely, but people are having to upgrade them or deal with it. Adding another gig of ram may help you out. You are probably stuck with the processor, so if its bugging you, id get the ram, its easy.

Intel Core 2 Duo Processor is what I have.

Old 01-06-2008, 12:24 PM

6,590 posts, read 11,288,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citybythebay View Post

.....Each hardware component receives an individual subscore. Your computer's base score is determined by the lowest subscore. For example, if the lowest subscore of an individual hardware component is 2.6, then the base score is 2.6. The base score is not an average of the combined subscores.
That's the main point there. You can have a kicking CPU, with 4GB of ram (max supported on a 32-bit system).. and a crappy video card... your score will still be crap.

Now, as an example, if your running a memory intensive program what is pretty much command line based, that base score pretty much means zilch.

Bottom line, that rating system is pretty much worthless - just my opinion of course.

Old 01-06-2008, 06:44 PM

1,677 posts, read 6,442,889 times
Anyone seen a download for this test. That way we can test a system prior to Downgrading to Vista?

Seems they finially got Xp working well.

Old 01-06-2008, 06:52 PM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,356,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcticthaw View Post
Anyone seen a download for this test. That way we can test a system prior to Downgrading to Vista?
You can find a download link at Windows Vista: Upgrade Advisor. The program basically gives an overall score based on the lowest single test.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers