Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2014, 06:03 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,110,249 times

Advertisements

It's a way to make money without being employed by someone. Something you can easily get into nowadays.

But it is sure hard to program a nice complicated program like Music Creator 6, Photoshop, or Sonar X3.

Or it would be nice to make a video game. There are video game making programs out there, many have free editions for you to try them out or learn on for free. See this thread: //www.city-data.com/forum/video...ideo-game.html

I'm thinking about making Android, Windows, and IOS programs too. Do you know of a Programming system that would program application for multiple OSs? Something like Visual Studio but easier or better, and well documented?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2014, 06:16 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,036,057 times
Yes. And I never made any money on the market.

Created a game but I couldn't figure out how to sell it on the market. Eventually sold it to IBM. They never did anything with the game, but used the AI in their statistics software.

Created a Photoshop filter. Sold it to Adobe. They made it 100x faster and built it into Photoshop.

Created a bunch of mobile apps. None made any real money on the market. Sold it; have non-disclosure.

Look into Cordova. You can have one code base work for web, iphone, android, windows mobile, etc. Here's the platforms it supports: http://cordova.apache.org/docs/en/4....form%20Support

Last edited by NJBest; 12-27-2014 at 07:10 AM..

Old 12-27-2014, 09:39 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,642,022 times
I write a very large LOB suite as a contractor (for my former employer), and write my own plug-ins to that system that I sell directly to the client's dealers.

So I make money every month from my own programs. I'm also in the process of writing an additional web app that will be subscription based and marketed to those same clients (of my client).

I've also written two Android apps that make a small amount of money each month (a nice dinner or two each month).

Cordova / Phone Gap is one option for writing multi platform apps (but non native apps), and there are options for using it via Visual Studio (not sure of anything free, or anything that can use the express versions of VS).

Xamarin is another option. It uses C# and Visual Studio to build native apps for multiple platforms. It's free to get started with, but you don't get VS support in the lower end versions (and may need a non express version of VS).

Old 12-29-2014, 04:39 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,110,249 times
Thank You for your replies!

I guess that's why you guys hate piracy, you program programs and would hate to see them pirated.

Hey NJ - what specific Photoshop filter did you invent? I probably don't have the know how to program such stuff. It's depressing you didn't make much making mobile apps, I guess because so many on the market are free.

S.W. -- what's an LOB?

Uh... Programming actually is not my career, but it is a strong side interest. I'm discouraged to be an actual programmer because of H1B abuse in the IT industry, and that it's hard to get hired as a programmer unless you're really good.

So what the best multi platofrm development platform out there?

Maybe I'd go with Xmarin so far.

Old 12-29-2014, 07:29 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,642,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTE1969 View Post
Thank You for your replies!

I guess that's why you guys hate piracy, you program programs and would hate to see them pirated.

Hey NJ - what specific Photoshop filter did you invent? I probably don't have the know how to program such stuff. It's depressing you didn't make much making mobile apps, I guess because so many on the market are free.

S.W. -- what's an LOB?

Uh... Programming actually is not my career, but it is a strong side interest. I'm discouraged to be an actual programmer because of H1B abuse in the IT industry, and that it's hard to get hired as a programmer unless you're really good.

So what the best multi platofrm development platform out there?

Maybe I'd go with Xmarin so far.

LOB stands for Line of Business, and generally refers to systems that are designed for a specific industry or that are critical to running a business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers