U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2015, 07:26 PM

4,366 posts, read 4,201,505 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Okay, I know I'm not an expert programmer; I only know a little HTML and CSS as well as have working knowledge of some plug-and-play programs. Be that as it may, though, I'm a hands-on learner and would like to design about five new technology projects for my next teaching job interview. Does anyone have any ideas? I would like to be able to solve a problem I frequently encounter as a teacher / interim teacher with these projects.

Some ideas include:
A program that keeps track of students when they walk through the door. Roll is taken care of.
A program that helps students study for tests
An educational game that covers most of the common core standards for certain subjects in certain grade levels.
An old-school maze game that helps children review their history / literature facts.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2015, 08:21 PM

6,372 posts, read 3,755,390 times
I think python scripts running on a raspberry-pi can help solve the above.

Old 02-21-2015, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
I think python scripts running on a raspberry-pi can help solve the above.
I've heard about raspberry-pi. Can you give me more information?

Old 02-21-2015, 10:37 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,735,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
That's a pretty broad question, buy an rPi and start tinkering

Old 02-22-2015, 12:54 AM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Seems like you already have some ideas.

Pick a target (web? desktop? phone/tablet? any particular operating system?), pick a language, and get to work.

Old 02-22-2015, 07:06 AM

Is there a way to make Python feel less like a really complicated calculator? I just started learning, but how can I cut to the fun stuff?

Old 02-22-2015, 07:37 AM

Quote:
i was in a hackathon some time ago. (we used pifm to broadcast a message of the latest area visted by an id badge.)

there is a still of the radio x-ceiver we worked on (around :20 seconds -- bottom rite):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vf0Z_zPN1c

pi is just a small credit-card sized computer that runs a linux distro. it was meant to get school children involved in computing but many hobbyist use them for small hardware and programming projects because they are tiny, cheap and not very powerful.

Old 02-22-2015, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Is there a way to make Python feel less like a really complicated calculator? I just started learning, but how can I cut to the fun stuff?
I am more of a c programmer. I experimented with a few xbmc addons which are written in python. if python ain't your flavor then perhaps bash scripting would be more ideal. boot up a linux live-usb. open a command-line terminal and start with hello-world. then discover how to prompt the user for input and store a variable. then figure out reading in a file and writing out to a file...

Old 02-22-2015, 10:22 AM

7,285 posts, read 15,515,089 times
Quote:
Hi,

Okay, I know I'm not an expert programmer; I only know a little HTML and CSS as well as have working knowledge of some plug-and-play programs. Be that as it may, though, I'm a hands-on learner and would like to design about five new technology projects for my next teaching job interview. Does anyone have any ideas? I would like to be able to solve a problem I frequently encounter as a teacher / interim teacher with these projects.

Some ideas include:
A program that keeps track of students when they walk through the door. Roll is taken care of.
A program that helps students study for tests
An educational game that covers most of the common core standards for certain subjects in certain grade levels.
An old-school maze game that helps children review their history / literature facts.
I'd do something web related and practical, so probably something that helps students study with practice questions, or some sort of educational thing. Maybe you could randomize the questions. It would be really nice if you could store and depict the scores across all the students anonymously, since that would help you gauge where to focus on any final test prep. So it would help teacher and students. Just an idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers