U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2015, 03:26 AM

1,078 posts, read 995,120 times

Advertisements

I've updated my Tablet (Lenovo Thinkpad 8) and my Custom Built Desktop. Way better than Windows 8.1 for the Desktop and Tablet.

Compared to Windows 7, some of the text can be a bit small. But other than that, I'm noticing a huge improvement in speed. They even improved the stock (explorer browser) now known as MS Edge.

For my tablet, the on-screen keyboard is 100x better. I'm no longer accidentally hitting the "M or apostrophe" key instead of the spacebar. The keyboard layout is spaced out more. You can also witch from tablet mode to desktop mode. I prefer tablet mode for my tablet, the desktop mode for my desktop. Go figure!

The Log-in screen is a nice touch. We're greeted with a beautiful landscape photo.

The start menu with the added tiles / apps is a very nice touch. I spent a few minutes adding what I needed, removing what I don't and arranging them based on my usage.

My PC and Tablet feels like a brand new device with Windows 10. I think M$ finally got it right. Vista and Windows 8 was a huge disappointment.

And for some reason, my PC feels a lot faster!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2015, 03:51 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
30,832 posts, read 51,113,855 times
I can hardly wait to see how FORCED updates works on Dial-up... (Only in America... for 25 yrs, I have had better internet in the remote parts of the undeveloped world, than I do in America!) (especially my home! 16 miles away from 800k metro area, and I am stuck on 'Pay-per-byte' dialup. (56k))

Win 10 will be a nightmare (probably take all night to update unless it bombs (likely every-night) Not possible to go to library and use wireless (1 hr / week maximum allowed) .

Old 07-30-2015, 04:07 AM

1,078 posts, read 995,120 times
the update is not forced. it's an option. u don't have to download it if you don't want it. I reserved my copy by manually entering my email and agreeing to the terms.

It even ask you a second time when the download is ready.

it only took me maybe 30 minutes to download and install.

Old 07-30-2015, 04:12 AM

5,856 posts, read 12,966,423 times
Hmmm ..., I guess, you are a lucky one !!

Did one computer, and it took forever to get it finally end up with the opening screen.
But nothing else worked.
No key board, no mouse/touchpad
Just the old screen I used to have withe WIN 7 ULT.

Then when you kill the PC by holding down the OFF button for a while,
the machine shuts down, and then again,
after a long time, it comes on again.
This time with a rock on a coastal scene !!
And ... , the mouse/touchpad works ...

BTW, if you happen to run a laptop, with a separate monitor,
remove the monitor, use the laptop on its own.
The Monitor becomes a blank screen , and then you think nothing is happening.

Then be prepared to *relax*, Microsnot asks you to, for a very long time.
In my case, almost half the day ...

So finally after I have no idea any more how many times,
the computer shuts down, and then turns on again, and so on ...
the only thing that may tell you *something* is happening,
is the Drive Monitor Light blinking (once and a while)
So do not do anything.

I am only doing this on one PC, and will wait how this turns out.

Turning the PC on takes a long time, for me at least !
Funny is that when you go to the *control* panel,
and click on *back and restore*, you will apparently get WIN 7 back ...

Old 07-30-2015, 04:57 AM

2,828 posts, read 4,119,691 times
I like it so far too. There will be some things that they will have to straighten out, but for me that doesn't detract from what I am getting out of it. It's been working fine, better than my Windows 7. Today I'll be creating my installation DVD after I go out and buy some DVD's.

Old 07-30-2015, 05:43 AM

13,251 posts, read 41,272,956 times
I updated my Toshiba tablet last night. I'm using that as the guinea pig because I have win7 on my desktop and I'm fine with it. The Toshiba was a win8 machine and I regretted buying it but my regret came after the 14 day return policy at the store so I was stuck with it.

I only played around with it long enough after the install (I did -not- do a "clean" install, I bypassed the reservation wait queue and downloaded it from their site) to see the start menu.

Gizmodo (dot) com has some tips and tricks already, for setting up your windows 10 machine and options that you might not find on your own (there's a video controller option that's actually hidden by windows 10, but apparently it's a great feature and once you find it you can enable it).

Old 07-30-2015, 06:25 AM

7,150 posts, read 11,405,929 times
I didn't have any luck with windows 10. The best thing I can say about it is rolling back to windows 7 was really easy.

It would boot up fine although a lot slower than windows 7. I was getting constant lock ups and programs not responding (even PDF files). I would get on the internet and that would lock up.

I might try it again in six months and see if they have got the bugs worked out.

Old 07-30-2015, 08:45 AM

13,251 posts, read 41,272,956 times
Cortana now calls me Masterchief. Question though - how do you get Cortana to respond automatically following the command "hey Cortana?" Right now if I want her to listen, I have to go to the Cortana thing and press the little microphone icon in the corner of it. And, when I say something like: "Turn off my computer" she just brings me to a bing search result on the words "turn off my computer." I want her to actually follow direction, not merely spit out a search engine result.

Old 07-30-2015, 10:55 AM

40,887 posts, read 70,955,524 times
I just updated my primary computer at the office, and it went smooth as can be. Took about 30 minutes.

I will need to find some settings. Browser font is smaller than I like.

Quibble, and about as small as I can imagine. Email notifications pop up in the lower right corner of my primary screen. Using dual monitors, I tend to favor the left side of the screen, and I haven't figured out how to move that notification box.

Old 07-30-2015, 11:35 AM

3,584 posts, read 5,232,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
I didn't have any luck with windows 10. The best thing I can say about it is rolling back to windows 7 was really easy.

It would boot up fine although a lot slower than windows 7. I was getting constant lock ups and programs not responding (even PDF files). I would get on the internet and that would lock up.

I might try it again in six months and see if they have got the bugs worked out.
I have Win7 and decided to wait to upgrade as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers