Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 11:00 PM

2,800 posts, read 10,008,637 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!

I was wondering if anyone can help me out on this.

I just went through orientation (new job) and they had a laptop connected to a big screen tv. They were using PowerPoint for the orientation.

I was wondering how do you do this? What is needed on the laptop to accomplish this and what kind of connection (SVideo or??) is needed?

Thanks for your help....Again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2008, 11:04 PM

1,715 posts, read 6,980,366 times
Some have S-Video and/or VGA outputs. Some might even have DVI ports, but I'm not sure. You'll just need the same input on your tv and corresponding cable to link the two.

Old 01-25-2008, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in TN View Post
Some have S-Video and/or VGA outputs. Some might even have DVI ports, but I'm not sure. You'll just need the same input on your tv and corresponding cable to link the two.
Thanks! I appreciate the info.

So there's no converter or anything needed, just the cable and appropriate connection on the laptop and tv? Almost seems too simple. lol

Old 01-25-2008, 11:15 PM

1,677 posts, read 6,442,570 times
Most laptops use S video to output to the TV, If this is the case for you then the other setting you may have to adjust is multi monitors on your display settings. From the desktop of Windows XP right click the background screen. Select properties, this brings up Display properties, then select settings, Browse the tabs to find you video card and setting for multiple monitors. Normally you can set up you TV out as a second monitor in a Dual monitor mode. You may have a choice to either clone the main monitor or display something else on the second monitor (I have not had much luck doing this mode). Well this gets you in the ball park anyway.

Old 01-25-2008, 11:23 PM

2,218 posts, read 5,395,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcticthaw View Post
Most laptops use S video to output to the TV, If this is the case for you then the other setting you may have to adjust is multi monitors on your display settings. From the desktop of Windows XP right click the background screen. Select properties, this brings up Display properties, then select settings, Browse the tabs to find you video card and setting for multiple monitors. Normally you can set up you TV out as a second monitor in a Dual monitor mode. You may have a choice to either clone the main monitor or display something else on the second monitor (I have not had much luck doing this mode). Well this gets you in the ball park anyway.
Normally you just press function and the corresponding button lol, that's what I do.

Old 01-25-2008, 11:25 PM

1,677 posts, read 6,442,570 times
OH!!! An expert!! I bow to your knowledge!

Old 01-25-2008, 11:33 PM

Thanks, I appreciate the information. I will see what I can figure out with this info. I know enough about the computer to get myself by, but am not very knowledgeable about laptops OR connecting them to anything.

Our church had wanted to purchase an lcd projector, however, I think this would be a much cheaper alternative...if I can figure it out anyway. lol

Old 01-25-2008, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronzou View Post
Normally you just press function and the corresponding button lol, that's what I do.
Ok, I understand about the display settings that Arctic has pointed out (however, I haven't found anything regarding dual/multiple monitors yet), but can you elaborate a bit on pressing "function" and the "corresponding button"?

Sorry to see so naive.

Old 01-25-2008, 11:40 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,179,500 times
Most newer LCD and Plasma TV's have a PC port in the back, and some come with a cable for connecting a computer to the TV.

Old 01-25-2008, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Most newer LCD and Plasma TV's have a PC port in the back, and some come with a cable for connecting a computer to the TV.
Unfortunately, the church isn't quite up to date with that new of a tv. But thanks, I will definitely keep that in mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers