U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2015, 01:16 PM

100 posts, read 87,647 times

Advertisements

Makes sense for Micro$oft to do this because no one is buying OSes anymore.
Apple OSX and open source OSes (i.e Android, Ubuntu, Chrome, etc.) have put an end to that.

Microsoft to stop producing Windows versions - BBC News
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2015, 03:12 PM

658 posts, read 1,100,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulSonicForce View Post
Apple OSX and open source OSes (i.e Android, Ubuntu, Chrome, etc.) have put an end to that.

how does OSX prove nobody wants to pay for OS?

Old 08-15-2015, 10:12 PM

2,760 posts, read 3,221,649 times
I have spent a life time working with MS software products. Lol. It bears the sign "Made in the US of A" though

I tell you what, now the year is 2015, before 2021 we will see windows 11

But seriously, MSFT that's good all American know how

Old 08-15-2015, 10:27 PM

41,816 posts, read 48,058,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulSonicForce View Post

They aren't stopping development or production of Windows instead of versioning they be just constantly updating it. Windows 10 of today will not be the same Windows 10 of 2020.

What I suspect is they are going to a subscription based purchase to increase revenue, this will eliminate the people that keep the OS for a decade.

Old 08-15-2015, 10:29 PM

24,497 posts, read 39,397,600 times
OSX is developed in the USA as well.

I personally thing that Microsoft has a great OS. They've done some excellent stuff. XP was a disaster, along with a few others. Where Microsoft went wrong was with their .net BS ecosystem. But they have publicly acknowledged the disaster that .Net is and are making strides to fix it.

Evergreen OS's make more sense as the old software licensing scheme goes away. The software licensing scheme that Microsoft pioneered and everyone else leveraged, no longer applies going forward. You no longer pay $400 for a software license that you need to upgrade in a few years. Instead, you pay $20/month or whatever and get upgrades for free (this applies to content as well). So you need an OS to support such an ecosystem. Naturally, that OS should be affordable so that the barrier to entry into the ecosystem is minimal.

As of this writing, Windows 10 is listed as the 22nd most purchased piece of software on Amazon.com. 18 of the top 100 softwares purchased at Amazon.com are operating systems (including Windows and OSX).

Old 08-16-2015, 11:42 AM

XP and .net is a disaster lol. Right...

The need for new OS comes from new chip were. If Intel is not planning on releasing anything significant in the next 5 years. Since you update the OS, there is really no need to keep making new versions.

Thus far you get MS Windows free when you buy new electronics. MS Windows market share keeps MS in some serious business I don't think they will give up their market share by charging a subscription fee for their product like that.

I don't think that Win 10 is the last OS MS will make.

Old 08-16-2015, 11:57 AM

11,930 posts, read 8,578,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
They aren't stopping development or production of Windows instead of versioning they be just constantly updating it. Windows 10 of today will not be the same Windows 10 of 2020.

What I suspect is they are going to a subscription based purchase to increase revenue, this will eliminate the people that keep the OS for a decade.
The only thing it will eliminate that group from is Windows 10. We'll still keep our OS for a decade....or a lifetime, if it suits us.

Old 08-16-2015, 01:15 PM

15,921 posts, read 19,297,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPolo View Post
I have spent a life time working with MS software products. Lol. It bears the sign "Made in the US of A" though
As we have seen over the past few years Made in America for the most part = shoddy...

Old 08-16-2015, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
As we have seen over the past few years Made in America for the most part = shoddy...

I still remember being able to buy products with sticker "Made in America", it had a different life expectancy then the cheap "shoddy" from China.

Of course when we talk Microsoft "Made in America" has a different meaning. They hire engineers from all over the world, in US, I think they make the most Guest Worker visas. But now they build offices all over the world.

Old 08-16-2015, 11:00 PM

24,497 posts, read 39,397,600 times
Quote:
XP and .net is a disaster lol. Right...
Exactly. Look how much traction Microsoft lost while being short-sighted and parading XP and .Net. This is why these and related technologies (IE6 for example) are a joke in the web world.
Quote:

The need for new OS comes from new chip were. If Intel is not planning on releasing anything significant in the next 5 years. Since you update the OS, there is really no need to keep making new versions.

Thus far you get MS Windows free when you buy new electronics. MS Windows market share keeps MS in some serious business I don't think they will give up their market share by charging a subscription fee for their product like that.

I don't think that Win 10 is the last OS MS will make.
Windows 10 may not be the last OS MS will make, but it will likely be the version that is around for the next 10 years with minor and patch changes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers