Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2015, 08:26 AM

2,761 posts, read 3,432,402 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Windows 10 hardware requirements are actually pretty light

Processor: 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster processor or SoC
RAM: 1 gigabyte (GB) for 32-bit or 2 GB for 64-bit
Hard disk space: 16 GB for 32-bit OS 20 GB for 64-bit OS
Graphics card: DirectX 9 or later with WDDM 1.0 driver
Display: 800x600

If you're within your 30 day grace period I would suggest rolling back to Windows 7

How to uninstall Windows 10 and go back to Windows 7 or 8 | PCWorld

I have installed Win 10 on both of my computers, Both of them are I7 with 8 gigs or ram (both are older then 6 years). In both cases I am annoyed with Win 10. 64 bit...

I had Win 10 for longer then 30 days, so rolling back might be complicated. Win 10 upgrade is not really a free and awesome upgrade.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2015, 07:42 AM

718 posts, read 1,151,101 times
Maybe Win 10 sucks for people who are upgrading from Win7/8.1? It seems to work pretty good/great on laptops designed for and pre-installed with Win 10.

My son needed a laptop last September. After seeing all the complaints when upgrading from Win 7 or 8.1 to Win 10. So rather than buy a laptop with Win 7 or 8.1, then wait for Win 10 upgrade to become stable later this year, we decided to buy a Dell laptop with Win 10 already installed. Dell 5000 series budget model only, $599, with i5 cpu, 12 GB ram, 1 TB HD, backlit kb, with DVD RW drive.

So far, Win 10 has been working great on that laptop. He uses it for whatever he needs to get done. He's gotten used to Edge. Streams movies and TV shows. Watches DVD movies on it. Even games on it a bit.

The Dell Win10 laptop is definitely smoother and faster than my wife's office HP Envy laptop with Win 8.1 (Classic Shell, similar hardware configuration) that was bought in 2014. We've been pretty happy with this HP Envy laptop and were looking for another one, but went with the Dell because it had a better trackpad and was aesthetically nicer than the HP Envy.

We also have an old, throwaway, Dell Vostro that was given to me and on which I installed PCLinuxOS and Win 7 Ultimate that's still working great too.

IMO, forget about upgrading to Win 10. If you have Win 7 or 8.1 and have no problems, just stay with it and install security upgrades only. Don't even reserve Win 10.

As an aside, my MacBook, circa 2012, which I bought as a refurb, is still is the best laptop around the house. It just works. Open, work/surf/play, close. Can't remember the last time it was rebooted.

Old 11-09-2015, 11:58 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,870,992 times
Going back to the original question if Win10 really sucks badly, there are definitively two camps.
One that likes it, ad the other one hates it.

The ones that like it, seem to have no problems with the functioning of Win 10.

The other camp either has problems with the functioning, plus many of them do not like the way MS collects data, whatever data !!

So if you have Win 10 and like it, then so be it, and you probably do not care about the *data mining* of what you do.
You *can* reduce the data mining but you can NOT stop it completely !!

The other camp, ... well, until Win 7 stops for sure all the way, then hopefully Win 10 has its problems ironed out.

For those that do not like it and are beyond the 30 day roll back time, doing a clean install is really not difficult, but cumbersome.
You must have ALL the original disk(s) that came with your computer, and then just do a clean install.
Assuming you have made a back up of all your sensitive files.
Then you let the bugger update ALL the updates which takes a really long time and umpteen restarts.

Then you download the batch file to eliminate all the updates which are *bad*, and after you disconnect from the internet, do an un-install of those updates.
//www.city-data.com/forum/41827542-post22.html
(all the updates listed in that batch file are those which *prepare* your PC for Win 10
or install telemetry functions in Win 7)

Finally you set your updates to *manual only* and always check the list against the batch file, so you will not install all those bad updates again, and connect to the internet again.

Two days ago, I did a check on available updates on Win 7 and 90% were the ones I eliminated before.
The rest, I read up on, and then made the decision to install them or not.
I just hope that the descriptions of the updates is correct ... since they are from Microsoft.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers