Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2016, 07:06 PM

23,446 posts, read 13,685,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
My wife just looks up recipes on her smartphone which is obviously connected to the internet. It seems silly to waste valuable kitchen space with an old, clunky laptop. I doubt you'll get much use out of it if it's not connected to the internet.
Actually, I may get more use out of it, if indirectly, since I won't be drawn back to the Net to waste time as I so ends up doing. As a computer dedicated to one use, I won't have my time drawn away to be endlessly posting on this site or that. As a computer dedicated to one use, I can go to it, use it for what I need, and not fear that I will be distracted or drawn in by its pretty lights and displays of attention.

No slash to your wife but this is one of the reasons why I don't get a smartphone because I don't want to become a zombie.

Back to the kitchen........so I guess no one has cooked from recipes other than from the Net? Has anyone DSLR'd recipes from clippings and then stored that, sending the clippings then to recycling?

I like the suggestion about using an E-space device as a timer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2016, 09:36 PM

3,549 posts, read 6,632,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Back to the kitchen........so I guess no one has cooked from recipes other than from the Net? Has anyone DSLR'd recipes from clippings and then stored that, sending the clippings then to recycling?

I like the suggestion about using an E-space device as a timer.
Most of our cookbooks are in Kindle / e-book format now (we don't buy physical books if we don't have to) , so we also use the Kindle app on our tablet.

I don't scan / photograph recipes (not a bad idea thought) as most of our recipes come from the web, or from magazines that have companion web sites (cooking light), so when we see one we want, we just add it to our digital recipe book.

I'm a software developer by trade so I have a custom system that I built for editing / adding recipes (including links to websites) to a desktop application (on both my wife and my computers) that syncs to the tablet.

Old 06-14-2016, 10:17 AM

16,455 posts, read 19,480,024 times
Quote:
No slash to your wife but this is one of the reasons why I don't get a smartphone because I don't want to become a zombie.
Not everyone who has a smartphone or an internet connection becomes a "zombie". Some people actually are still pretty normal people...

Old 06-14-2016, 11:37 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,730,900 times
I have some cookbooks that I still use, but most of my recipes are from the internet. When I try a new recipe, it's nice to read others' reviews of the recipe.

Technology is only useful to me if it saves me time. If I have to scan a recipe or save it on a flash drive to transfer to an obsolete computer that I'm only using so that I can say I have a Kitchen Laptop, that's not going to save me time. It's also not going to save me time to have the laptop sitting somewhere other than my work counter, so that I have to walk over to it to look at ingredients and amounts repeatedly while cooking.

My tablet is in a sturdy case with a screen protector. I can keep it on my work counter while I'm cooking. Besides looking at the recipe, I can use the tablet for multiple timers, each named so I know what it's for (oven, marinade, burner 1, 2, etc). I can play music while I'm working. I can even look at the temperature of the air conditioner and adjust it if necessary, without leaving the kitchen. I can send messages to the kids if I want them to come help me, without going down the hall to their rooms or yelling over their music or tv noise. If I realize I'm out of an ingredient while cooking, I can look up substitutions. It hasn't turned me into a zombie, it's made my cooking time more productive and less frustrating.

Old 06-14-2016, 02:12 PM

3,549 posts, read 6,632,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I have some cookbooks that I still use, but most of my recipes are from the internet. When I try a new recipe, it's nice to read others' reviews of the recipe.

Technology is only useful to me if it saves me time. If I have to scan a recipe or save it on a flash drive to transfer to an obsolete computer that I'm only using so that I can say I have a Kitchen Laptop, that's not going to save me time. It's also not going to save me time to have the laptop sitting somewhere other than my work counter, so that I have to walk over to it to look at ingredients and amounts repeatedly while cooking.

My tablet is in a sturdy case with a screen protector. I can keep it on my work counter while I'm cooking. Besides looking at the recipe, I can use the tablet for multiple timers, each named so I know what it's for (oven, marinade, burner 1, 2, etc). I can play music while I'm working. I can even look at the temperature of the air conditioner and adjust it if necessary, without leaving the kitchen. I can send messages to the kids if I want them to come help me, without going down the hall to their rooms or yelling over their music or tv noise. If I realize I'm out of an ingredient while cooking, I can look up substitutions. It hasn't turned me into a zombie, it's made my cooking time more productive and less frustrating.

Every bit of this ^^

The only major difference is probably the fact that our tablet never leaves the kitchen counter, as it's an older one that wasn't being used anymore (which also means it doesn't have as much everyday use software).

Old 06-14-2016, 04:14 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,005,506 times
Kitchen Computer that's not hooked up to the Internet:

Old 06-14-2016, 06:06 PM

11,334 posts, read 25,979,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
Kitchen Computer that's not hooked up to the Internet:
Wow. I love the tab UI.

Old 06-15-2016, 01:22 AM

23,446 posts, read 13,685,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Not everyone who has a smartphone or an internet connection becomes a "zombie". Some people actually are still pretty normal people...
Perhaps but often everywhere I look, people are staring into their machines endlessly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post

Well, first of all, keep in mind that the laptop in question, "Gabrielle", was bought to be a controller for other sub systems like transferring LPs to digital. While that worked at the time, often taking place in apartment #2 while I went off and did other things in apartment #1 (at that time), it has fallen to the road side since there is no shortage these days of turntables and converting LPs to digital is really a step backwards, audio wise.

So Gabrielle has a new assignment. One of the things about transferring the recipes on a thumb drive is that a lot of those recipes may be downloaded while I am at work. That is a better utilization of my time and further, I am trying to cut down how much time I spend on the Net when I am at home. Computer addiction is a very compelling thing and I've been through it time and time again, ever since 1979 and the time sharing days.

Counter space in the kitchen is always a problem. A lot of mine are taken up by the dry good jars, the open bottles of wine, and the recipe book holder ...... which is currently sitting folded with more container jars on top of it. So if Gabrielle was placed on the worker counter, it would take up more room.....as oppose to sitting on a work table no more than 5 steps away. Gabrielle is closer than the pantry.

Music I play off the CD player, in the living room, which is hooked into a flat screen to use its speakers. By the way, that's where the turn tables reside but not currently in use. I need to find the Kenwood amplifier to see if I can bring them into use. The "kids" are the cats. Substitutions I decide on my own.

As far as scanning, well, there's the recipe book, say
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...4,203,200_.jpg
(bought mine in 1986 or so, it's in better condition). What to do? It's not necessarily on the Net and why go searching for what one already has. So why not grab the camera and take its picture? Further, there is that issue of reducing the excess paper when it involves cutouts from magazines, the recipe cards picked up from the supermarket.

As far as reviews go, I think I am more inspired to read in books what explorers are on their journeys than what someone says about a recipe. After all, it was https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robyn_Davidson 's accounts which turned me on to lentils, a 60's (I think) Nat'l Geographic article on cod fishing where the cook could "with sauces and spices make every meal (cod) be entirely different" that encouraged me to explore on my own.

Otherwise, I guess I would just be doing Moors and Christians with black beans and white rice.

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 06-15-2016 at 02:09 AM..

Old 06-15-2016, 08:35 AM

16,455 posts, read 19,480,024 times
Quote:
Computer addiction is a very compelling thing and I've been through it time and time again, ever since 1979 and the time sharing days.
Ah. That explains a lot. Not everyone is like that. Not everyone stares into their phones and ignores the world around them all the time. One thing cell phones have made people good at: multi-tasking.

Old 06-15-2016, 02:41 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,086,618 times
Quote:
Actually, I may get more use out of it, if indirectly, since I won't be drawn back to the Net to waste time as I so ends up doing. As a computer dedicated to one use, I won't have my time drawn away to be endlessly posting on this site or that. As a computer dedicated to one use, I can go to it, use it for what I need, and not fear that I will be distracted or drawn in by its pretty lights and displays of attention.

So instead, you are going to waste even more time typing or scanning the recipes into this computer rather than just looking them up online.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers