Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 10:21 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,694,717 times

Advertisements

Overview of the WPA wireless security update in Windows XP

AES support

WPA defines the use of Advanced Encryption Standard (AES) as an additional replacement for WEP encryption. Because you may not be able to add AES support through a firmware update to existing wireless equipment, support for AES is optional and is dependant (sic) on vendor driver support.

Just thought I'd keep the confusion going.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2008, 01:10 PM

1,368 posts, read 6,504,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Overview of the WPA wireless security update in Windows XP

AES support

WPA defines the use of Advanced Encryption Standard (AES) as an additional replacement for WEP encryption. Because you may not be able to add AES support through a firmware update to existing wireless equipment, support for AES is optional and is dependant (sic) on vendor driver support.

Just thought I'd keep the confusion going.
Thanks. I'll get clarification on this topic tonight, but my understanding is that while your connection is encrypted. that is, someone cannot easily access your connection itself..

The packets you send, is not. I'll try to illustrate what Im referring to:

WEP:
{START}{BIT 1}{BIT 2}{BIT 3}{BIT N}{END}

WPA:
{[(START)]}BIT 1 BIT 2 BIT 3 BIT N{[(END)]}

Thats my understanding of the differences, where WPA is harder to crack, but if you're sitting there watching the stream of data go by, you can pick numbers out of the air. Where as, with WEP, you must break the encryption before you can do that.

Again, I'll try to get clarification on this topic tonight. I too thought it was encrypted fully, but was informed otherwise by my friends.

Old 02-23-2008, 05:13 PM

8,893 posts, read 4,543,266 times
okay, i'm confused on this wireless stuff. I got a new laptop and went wireless (newbie at this). I'm paranoid that I am not secure, when I look at my connection it says connected. At one point to day it said security enabled. How do I know for sure it is secure?

Old 02-23-2008, 08:33 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,761,129 times
I don't secure my home connection. If you are close to me, you can use it. I don't care.

Old 02-24-2008, 11:14 PM

783 posts, read 2,587,403 times
Has any one thought about MAC address Filtration. That is the most secure try that and prove me wrong.

Old 02-25-2008, 06:41 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,286,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by npumcrisz View Post
Has any one thought about MAC address Filtration. That is the most secure try that and prove me wrong.
you want layered security. MAC addressing by itself can still be defeated by sniffing the packets and finding out your mac address... and then change mine to match yours; send a session reset to your AP to knock everyone off, and then attaching to it. Is this practical for most home based network? Not really.... but there are some bored people out there.

Hence, you want all the measures indicated previously - SSID off, WPA2 on, AND Mac filtering. You can also set DHCP to reserve IP addresses, and decrease your subnet to only allow a limited amount of connections (this will not always match as it works in exponents of 2).

Is it flawless? No, nothing is completely secure, but these steps (not including the subnetting and DHCP reservations) are simple to implement and require no additional resources... so why not?

Oh - and WPA2 does encrypt the data. Not only that, it also encrypts the authentication mechanism (MIC). It is much more secure than WEP. Had TJX done the simple task of upgrading their AP's from WEP to WPA2... you would most likely not be reading about them.....

Old 02-25-2008, 07:21 AM

783 posts, read 2,587,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
you want layered security. MAC addressing by itself can still be defeated by sniffing the packets and finding out your mac address... and then change mine to match yours; send a session reset to your AP to knock everyone off, and then attaching to it. Is this practical for most home based network? Not really.... but there are some bored people out there.

Hence, you want all the measures indicated previously - SSID off, WPA2 on, AND Mac filtering. You can also set DHCP to reserve IP addresses, and decrease your subnet to only allow a limited amount of connections (this will not always match as it works in exponents of 2).

Is it flawless? No, nothing is completely secure, but these steps (not including the subnetting and DHCP reservations) are simple to implement and require no additional resources... so why not?

Oh - and WPA2 does encrypt the data. Not only that, it also encrypts the authentication mechanism (MIC). It is much more secure than WEP. Had TJX done the simple task of upgrading their AP's from WEP to WPA2... you would most likely not be reading about them.....
I didn't know that. Thanks for informing me.

Old 07-23-2010, 07:36 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,694,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
I don't secure my home connection. If you are close to me, you can use it. I don't care.
I'm with you. I knew a college kid who went around wardriving neighborhoods with a friend. No I don't really get why. He wasn't trying to hack anyone.
(Wardriving = driving around with a pringle can antenna to find wifi networks and hack into them).
His thing was: if you network was open, you were cool. Letting other use yours. So he would got to the next one. Security enabled? Then he would try to connect.
Of course if you are running a business I might want to secure it.
A combo of Mac Filtering (which is absolutey not 'unbeatable') and either WEP or WPA would be your best bet.

He is now a network engineer at the Cleveland Clinic. lol

Last edited by Peregrine; 07-23-2010 at 07:45 AM..

Old 07-23-2010, 07:52 AM

43,282 posts, read 77,104,102 times
I went wired.

It can be hacked, I suppose. But the hacker will be "smarter than the average bear."

Old 07-23-2010, 08:00 AM

16,672 posts, read 15,668,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I went wired.

It can be hacked, I suppose. But the hacker will be "smarter than the average bear."
I've got network connections all over my house. My first router did not have wireless, so I just added a drop whenever we moved the furniture around.

Besides, I always heard that "network security" was an oxymoron.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers