Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2016, 10:18 AM

8,342 posts, read 6,426,948 times

Advertisements

I have had a Chromebook for a year and a half now. 99.9% of computer nonsense is over with for me. At this time I'll never buy anything but a Chromebook. The only thing I don't like about it is it requires WiFi and I have to go through a unplug, wait, and plug in again ritual regularly with the WiFi.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2016, 10:19 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,585,099 times
I have a Windows 10 all-in-one at my new house and a Windows 7 desktop at my winter house. In almost 30 years of owning computers I have never had one crash or needed any work done on them, so I consider a service plan to be a waste of money. For traveling, I have an iPad Air 2.

Old 08-08-2016, 10:49 AM

99,552 posts, read 4,490,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
LOVE Windows 8.1 and was told to NOT upgrade to 10, so I won't.

This laptop will probably be my last.
We use the tablets for just about everything now!
I have no problems at all with Windows 8.1 on my desktop computer and have used it for nearly 2 years now. Therefore, I saw no reason to upgrade to 10.

Old 08-08-2016, 11:03 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,721,722 times
Windows 10 has been a disaster for me, so I upgraded a MacBook Pro to the latest Osx. The learning curve was not as steep, and Apple doesn't screw with you after you upgrade. With Windows 10, each new update over-rides some defaults I previously set, or uninstalls software it no longer supports and sets their software as a substitute default. Because W-10 is so different than W-XP and WP-7 that i had a hell of a time even getting started.

Don't buy an HP, either. It's HP software is useless and while W-10 recognizes some of it, it shuts much of the rest down in favor of Microsoft aps.

I'm done with PCs. I am going to by a new Mac and the peripherals Apple has dropped in its latest configurations - larger hard drive, CD-DVD/X R-R, etc.

Old 08-08-2016, 11:28 AM

8,238 posts, read 6,579,235 times
After having tons of trouble with crashing PC's and malfunctioning Windows and horrible service from Lenovo maintenance contractors, I bought an Apple Macbook 2 years ago, love it, and will NEVER go back to having a PC and Windows due to the great workability and great functioning and functionality of the Macbook.

Old 08-08-2016, 11:34 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,269,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
I have a Windows 10 all-in-one at my new house and a Windows 7 desktop at my winter house. In almost 30 years of owning computers I have never had one crash or needed any work done on them, so I consider a service plan to be a waste of money. For traveling, I have an iPad Air 2.
I've had to have one "cleaned up", but that wasn't much 60 dollars or so. I do buy a subscription to Norton.

Old 08-08-2016, 12:10 PM

371 posts, read 537,346 times
I spent 18 years supporting software applications on various platforms, before moving on to working as a test engineer. Hands down, Linux is the way to go (and free) but for the average, tech-fearful user I would always recommend a Mac over Windows any day.

Old 08-08-2016, 12:27 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,957,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
I got fed up with the Windows world about ten years ago for various reasons. Decided Mr. Gates has enough of my money and went to Linux on all my computers, (a I have a lot of them, being a technogeek in the space industry). Since then, I was 'pulled, kicking and screaming' by my work associates into the Mac world and today, wonder why I resisted for so long. Their hardware is more expensive, but easy to operate once you get used to the new paradigm and fairly secure against viruses and other undesirables.
Plus...underneath it's UNIX. If you know Linux, you know what I mean.

7 desktop Macs, 2 MacBooks, 4 iPads. And we use them all.

(I almost forgot: 1 lonely Dell running Windows 7.)

Old 08-08-2016, 12:31 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,957,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
I'm done with PCs. I am going to by a new Mac and the peripherals Apple has dropped in its latest configurations - larger hard drive, CD-DVD/X R-R, etc.
I do miss the CD-DVD drive that didn't come with my iMac 5k Retina.

Old 08-08-2016, 12:57 PM

6,356 posts, read 7,764,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I do miss the CD-DVD drive that didn't come with my iMac 5k Retina.
1 Washington short of four Jacksons

Apple USB SuperDrive - Apple

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers