Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2016, 03:20 PM

2,104 posts, read 1,933,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
For laptops, I strongly recommend getting one with solid state drive.

2gb of memory is quite inadequate. Media rich internet surfing requires a lot of memory. I'd think 4gb is the minimum, preferably 8gb memory

32gb storage is also very limited and don't allow much room for loading programs let alone storing pictures, videos etc. I'd suggest at least 80gb and use SD card to store files (64gb SD cards cost about $30).

I stick with my recommendation to get Lenovo laptops for reliability. I got a refurbished T430 last year with Intel i5 2.60GHz processor, 8gb memory and 160gb solid state drive for something like $350 (it was on sale) with a free extended 1 year warranty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2016, 03:23 PM

15,252 posts, read 12,964,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
1 Washington short of four Jacksons

Apple USB SuperDrive - Apple

Wow, that's cheap!

It's amazing how the price of Apple peripherals has come down. I think I paid $250 the last time I had to buy one.

So cheap even retired people can afford them. :-)

Last edited by fluffythewondercat; 08-08-2016 at 03:25 PM.. Reason: had to make it about retirement

Old 08-08-2016, 03:28 PM

2,364 posts, read 4,872,604 times
As a retiree and being over 64, I think things should be a bit easier if they want us to keep up. About 2 years ago I bought a Lenovo laptop with 8.1. My unit automatically upgraded to 10 (without my approval) several months ago and I started having the screen flickering problems with it. I tried a lot of "fixes" but never got it to work right so I downgraded back to 8.1. Things went back to normal. Then about 2 months ago it automatically upgraded again without my approval and AGAIN I started to have the screen flicker problems. Again, I tried fixes, including a different virus program (was reported that Norton caused problems, but their fix also didn't work). I decided to downgrade again and in the process the computer wouldn't reboot at all. I ended up doing a "refresh" which, except for my personal files, ended up removing all programs I had downloaded, all my settings, and all my bookmarks. Spent an entire day just trying to get the basics back. Still trying to get everything back to "normal" and luckily I had a backup from about a year ago so got back some of my bookmarks.

My point being is that I guess I don't understand why someone who isn't a computer guru, and of limited means to hire someone to fix it or buy a new computer, has to put up with all the problems seemingly caused by new, but obviously not so better, upgrades. Surely these can't be better tested with common software already in the market? I know that MS pushes McAfee, but that doesn't mean that anyone using another major virus program (or any other major app) should have to put up with problems. Luckily I did figure out how to stop any upgrades unless specifically approved by me.

Old 08-08-2016, 03:33 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,490,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
I got fed up with the Windows world about ten years ago for various reasons. Decided Mr. Gates has enough of my money and went to Linux on all my computers, (a I have a lot of them, being a technogeek in the space industry). Since then, I was 'pulled, kicking and screaming' by my work associates into the Mac world and today, wonder why I resisted for so long. Their hardware is more expensive, but easy to operate once you get used to the new paradigm and fairly secure against viruses and other undesirables.
The problem I've encountered in terms of switching to an Apple universe is the paucity of sophisticated money management software. For example - I use a market charting program called Metastock. Some people have reported success in terms of running it on an Apple device - but the company doesn't support it there (which means you're on your own if you encounter problems). Ditto when it comes to something as basic as Fidelity Active Trader software (which is available as a download on your own computer in the Windows environment but only reachable "in the cloud" if you're working on an Apple device). I've had similar problems with other important financial software that I still use (although - to be honest - 2 programs I still use won't run under Windows 10 64 bit and I'm running them on an older Windows XP 32 bit notebook now).

Money management is important to a lot of retired people/seniors. And I have always observed that Apple is usually a day late and a dollar short when it comes to sophisticated money management apps. My brother lives in the Apple universe. And - every once in a while when he visits here - he has to run some of his old Windows money management stuff through my computer (his new Apple stuff is definitely sub-standard IMO).

There are even issues when it comes to the Apple platform and programs that tons of people use - like Turbotax.

Forbes Welcome

Robyn

Old 08-08-2016, 04:56 PM

95 posts, read 189,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonahWicky View Post
Anyone still using XP needs to stop immediately! Microsoft stopped supporting it over 2 years ago. It was a superb OS, but it's very vulnerable to hacks now. If you haven't upgraded to Windows 10 already, you missed the free upgrade period that ended July 31st.

After a short learning curve, 10 is very much better than anything before it.
OH BS! if you don't know how to protect your computer using any OS, perhaps you shouldn't be online.
I have a high end computer that I built myself, using some of the latest hardware, running close to 5GHZ on air, BUT it still uses XP! Why? simple,--- I have 2 joysticks, one a micro$oft, neither will work on 7, or 10. I have a nice gaming steering wheel, and foot pedals, it will not work with 7, or 10. I have 4 other gaming, or control devices, they will not work with 7, or 10. I spent a lot of money to buy the *FULL* version of micro$oft office a few years ago, it will not work with 7, or 10. I have a printer that I have total control over, and can refill ink at a fraction of new cartridges cost, it and 3 others will not work on 7, or 10. I have an old full sized scanner that can convert old negatives to color photos, as well as 2 portables, and a wand, they will not work on 7, or 10. I have spent hundreds of dollars on games over the years, some of which I still like to pull out, and play again, I can not on 7, or 10. I have tons of software, and aps that I have acquired, or paid for over the years that are still useful, and viable today, yet they will not work with 7, or 10. True, I have other desktops, and laptops with windows 7 that I *PAID* for, but when I want to have fun, or be productive, I firer up my state of the art XP machine.
So tell me, how is 10, sooo-- "very much better than anything before it."
Face it, Bill Gates cast a line, and many of you *bought* it, hook, line, and sinker.

Old 08-08-2016, 05:15 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post

That is basically the Microsoft response to the Chromebook. It has most of the same specifications as the Chromebook. However, if you buy that system, you are hooked into buying the Office package and virus protection.

If I was looking for a cheap laptop bundle, Office Depot was offering this with 1 year of McAfee and the MS Office for $399:

HP Laptop 15.6 Screen Intel Pentium Quad Core 6GB Memory 500GB Hard Drive Windows 10 by Office Depot & OfficeMax

Old 08-08-2016, 05:22 PM

37,617 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
I'm not exactly a Luddite - but I have been happily using Windows XP for a long time. This year - I learned that some software I use - like Turbotax - won't be supported in Windows XP next year. So I was dragged - reluctantly - into the 21st century. Didn't make any sense to try to upgrade my 5+ year old Windows XP system - so I bought a whole new Windows 10 system.

The set-up has been vexing at times. Especially when it comes to things like finding the right drivers for things like my Bluetooth speaker. But I'm about 80% done now. I had heard good things about Windows 10 - and I really like it. It is very intuitive and easy to use for anyone who has ever worked with Windows operating systems. And - unlike some other Windows operating systems - I think Windows 10 - like Windows XP - is a "keeper" that will be around for a long time. So I might not have to learn another new completely different operating system 5 years down the road (the older I get - the harder this stuff becomes).

Also - I kind of went "back to the future" and bought a desktop system with a nice big monitor. That is perhaps the most fun - the big monitor. Not having to look at the very small in comparison monitor on my old laptop. The big monitor makes it very easy for these older eyes to read things.

The one big disadvantage of a desktop is - of course - that it's not portable. But many of us have so many "portables" these days that I don't think portability is a big factor in terms of a purchasing decision. Unless someone travels a ton - is a snowbird - etc. We still travel - but not a huge amount now. And one or more of my "portables" (cell phone - tablet - Chromebook - etc.) will work/synch with things like my email account when I'm out of town.

Now one thing that's very important to me - especially as a small not especially strong older woman - is ease of service/maintenance. I insist on having an in-home maintenance contract (and have for quite a few years - even when it came to laptops). I have only found one company that seems to offer this kind of service contract on most/all of its computers. Lenovo. Perhaps there are others out there. But a service contract like this is worth its weight in gold IMO. And is well worth hunting for. My service contract also has next business day delivery of parts. Which is really nice too. If I recall correctly - Apple also offers in-home service contracts on desktops. So - if you're an an Apple fan - that is worth looking into (although I don't know where Apple is today in terms of its product cycles).

Another nice thing about Lenovo is that its phone support - based in Atlanta - is still excellent (it's the old IBM support team that Lenovo inherited when it bought IBM's computer division).

Bottom line is this is a good time to upgrade in terms of the Windows product cycle. It's also a good time to buy because this is "back to school sales" time. It's also a good time to upgrade if you're like me - late 60's or so - and keeping on top of new technology seems to get harder every year. Robyn
I've had both a desktop and a laptop, for years. This is my 2nd laptop (first one was 7 years old before I replaced it) and my 4th, maybe 5th, desktop. I love having my desktop with a nice wide monitor, in my kitchen at the built-in desk. Printer is there too. My laptop goes with me when I travel, although if it's a short trip I just take my tablet. Both of my current ones have Windows 7, which was just starting to be hard to find when I bought them - everything was Windows 8, which was getting horrible reviews. So I was pretty restricted in the available machines, but I found what I wanted eventually. Windows 7 is incredibly stable, it's been great. I despise Win8, but W10 is a different story. I'll be moving to it when I replace these current machines, but they both still have a couple of years left in them, I expect.

I did get my son a Surface Book for Christmas, for college, and he loves it. It is W10, and it's an amazing machine. Lenovo is a fantastic company, and I love the Yoga 900s. Very tempted to get one and sell my current laptop!

Old 08-08-2016, 06:13 PM

6,357 posts, read 7,768,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
The problem I've encountered in terms of switching to an Apple universe is the paucity of sophisticated money management software...
I can believe that! Macs have always been more graphics oriented as opposed to the IBM/PC business/financial world. There are a couple of ol' Windows programs that I'm not willing to give up, and thankfully, they run under VirtualBox on the Mac, (an Autocad sketch program, an satellite image processing program . . . and oh, that retirement planning software ). Have my favorite flavor of Linux running under VirtualBox too.

I did my tax return last year on a Mac with Turbotax. No problems. Then again, my tax situation is pretty basic. 1.) How much did you make last year. 2.) Subtract 10% for food, clothing, and shelter. 3.) Send us the rest.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 08-08-2016, 06:27 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,884,676 times
FYI if anyone has a slow pc or laptop (startup time, program load times), get your hard drive upgraded to a solid state drive (SSD). It gives new life to a slow machine for less than $100 ($40 gets you 120GB SSD) and you can clone your old drive so you don't lose anything. I did this for my mom and it saved her from feeling like needing a new $400+ machine altogether.

As for the OS, WIN7 or WIN10 are fine.

Old 08-08-2016, 10:53 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,585,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonahWicky View Post
Anyone still using XP needs to stop immediately! Microsoft stopped supporting it over 2 years ago. It was a superb OS, but it's very vulnerable to hacks now. If you haven't upgraded to Windows 10 already, you missed the free upgrade period that ended July 31st.

After a short learning curve, 10 is very much better than anything before it.
I do NOT like W10. One of the main things is...it automatically updates. The user no longer can select the timing and what to update and what not to. Example: I had an old computer once that couldn't handle some new windows program, which was unnecessary. If I had not been able to choose not to download and install it, it would have crashed my system. NOW, with W10, I'd have no choice, even if it's a program I don't need or want. (There's a way around it updating without your knowledge, but most people won't know that.) But the user can no longer choose not to download and install one of MS's pet programs. That's intrusive on a user's choice of what programs to have on his computer, to put it mildly.

To find what programs were installed is no longer easy, either. And there is no list that lists them ALL, that I know of. You can figure it out, but most users won't know that. Microsoft's mission accomplished.

It also has tentacles all over the place that grabs your private information for its own use. You can stop that, but most people won't know that, or will miss some of the places to do that.

Windows 10 is the peak so far of Microsoft controlling people like Big Brother and taking your information without your knowleldge. It also insists on have Microsoft Edge as a browser, even if you don't want it and won't use it. Not sure you can uninstall it. I use Chrome but have to use another browser for Java and some other things...and I choose Explorer because Edge is just plain weird. It's MS's attempt to be like Chrome, I think. It's a fail.

Windows XP was the best.
Windows 7 was next to the best.
Windows 8 was pathetic.
Windows 10 should be illegal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers