Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2016, 05:01 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,672,347 times

Advertisements

Congratulations!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2016, 05:17 PM

7,632 posts, read 8,698,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Congratulations!
Thanks! Even though it turned out so simple, without the comments here I wouldn't have thought of doing it or even bought the crossover cable. Thank you all.

One thing to confirm: by turning on the file sharing, only the computers plugged to my router could access the files, correct? (just to make sure it excludes other Internet users)

Old 08-24-2016, 06:11 PM

2,336 posts, read 2,561,088 times
Congratulation! It's a great feeling when you conquer a technology problem.

Make sure to change the default password on the router. These are easily available online to anyone who wants them. You can do that through the router's setup routine.

Old 08-24-2016, 07:53 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,672,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonahWicky View Post

Make sure to change the default password on the router. These are easily available online to anyone who wants them. You can do that through the router's setup routine.
And the user name.

A common usage out of the box is

admin
admin

I kid you not.

Old 08-24-2016, 09:33 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
And the user name.

A common usage out of the box is

admin
admin

I kid you not.
Thanks. Aren't the username and password only for Wifi? I'm using Ethernet only now.

I'm having another question about resetting username and password: If I use my router between the cable modem and computer, the router itself also has username and password, so I'm confused, what's the relationship between these and the usernames and password of the cable modem? Which would a hacker need to know to invade my computer? There seem to be two different websites for changing username/password for the Cable Modem and for the Router, respectively. I couldn't login the Cable modem gateway website with either admin or user of the the user name/password printed on th modem. I could login the Router's gateway website but didn't dare to change any settings for fear of messing things up.

Last edited by snowmountains; 08-24-2016 at 10:37 PM..

Old 08-24-2016, 11:30 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,019,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmountains View Post
Thanks. Aren't the username and password only for Wifi? I'm using Ethernet only now.
There is typically two passwords for the router, the first and most important one is for the wi-fi. If the router was supplied by your ISP there is probably going to be sticker on it with unique router name and password that is sufficient for protecting it.

If you purchased the router from a store the password for the wifi may not be set up or it's something lame like 1234. You'll want to set it up and/or change it. Additionally if you are not using the wi-fi turn it off.

You can turn it off in the routers configuration which brings us to the second password. Once you are connected to the router either with ethernet or wifi you can get into the configuration with specific IP.

Try this link:

http://192.168.1.1

That's the most common one and if it's not that one you'll have to look it up for your model. You may get prompt for username and password and this to is going to be some easy one like the ones already mentioned. Look up what the default is on Google for your model. Unless you are concerned about someone changing the router configuration changing this is not imperative because they first need to be connected to router to do it. It's always better to be safe than sorry.

Once you are in there you can for example change the router password or the wifi password. Something else you may be able to do is give priority to devices or services. Routers have a lot of features, for example if you have kids you can use them to monitor their activities and block web sites/services. Changing the password for the router in this case is something you'll want to do.

If for some reason you forget the password there should be a very small recessed button that will reset the router to factory defaults.

Last edited by thecoalman; 08-24-2016 at 11:44 PM..

Old 08-25-2016, 09:43 AM

Thanks. There is no way I can turn off the Cable Modem's WIFI off. There is a tiny button on the Router "Wifi on/off", though no clear when it's on and when off. Since the Cable Modem's wifi is always on, I suppose it's useless to turn off the Router's wifi?

Also, the Cable Modem has a password and also a WPS PIN, I'm not sure what the PIN is for?
The Router only has one password/PIN printed on the device (which I've changed after logging in to the 192.168.....

Old 08-25-2016, 10:07 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,301,225 times
Dang, I was just about to suggest you get some crystals and realign the chakras.

Old 08-25-2016, 10:59 AM

60 posts, read 43,838 times
Quote:
Definitely use the router. They're not that hard to set up, and provide an extra layer of protection from the internet bad guys. If you connect directly to the modem, your computer's IP address can easily be discovered and potentially hacked. The router masks this information and adds a firewall to block attacks.
When you configure the router, turn off the capability of it to reply to a 'ping' on the internet side. It should be in the setup guide. Makes it a little harder to attack if your router doesn't respond externally.
Later, when you get set up and are comfortable with everything, there are a few scripts that you can have automatically run in background that will release and re-establish a new IP address (it checks if you get the same old one back, will reject it and re-try). I run one that changes my IP address every day.

Old 08-25-2016, 12:15 PM

16,537 posts, read 19,668,514 times
The PIN is just another way to connect a wireless device. Since you aren't wireless you don't need it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers