Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2016, 09:52 PM

7,639 posts, read 8,713,437 times

Advertisements

If you get great price/discount any point to own two PCs that are very much the same (in addition to laptop)? Small form/compact so don't take space. I can see owning two computers is important in case one is in trouble.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2016, 12:45 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,137,817 times
Personally, anything beyond a laptop + a desktop for a single user is overkill.

Old 08-26-2016, 08:00 AM

4,451 posts, read 6,802,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmountains View Post
If you get great price/discount any point to own two PCs that are very much the same (in addition to laptop)? Small form/compact so don't take space. I can see owning two computers is important in case one is in trouble.
Wouldn't you need to buy two or 3 copies of every software package you use?

Why not just buy two similar laptops or if you wanted to use 2 small desktop in different rooms, I can see that as good justification.

I'll buy my own Windows license and pick up old corporate line desktops off cragslist, I'll buy two just for spare parts even though I'll can get old consumer ones for free.

Old 08-26-2016, 08:02 AM

23,601 posts, read 70,436,018 times
I only access my financials from one computer, which never is used for general browsing and never has anything like facebook or gmail or other inquisitive software. That computer stays off most of the time, obviously not accessible from the net during those periods. Even if the main web connected computer is hacked or compromised, my important stuff isn't affected.

Old 08-26-2016, 09:08 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,149,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmountains View Post
I don't think I would buy a second computer just for the heck of it. Assuming you already have a working computer, and you go out and buy a new one, couldn't you just use the old computer as a backup if you really needed it? In my 25 years of owning computers I have never had a situation where my primary computer crapped out, and even if it did, I always have at least 1 or 2 older models lying around anyway.

Old 08-26-2016, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelopez2 View Post
Wouldn't you need to buy two or 3 copies of every software package you use?
When I buy a new PC I don't want any software that may be included. I just install my very old Office CD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
I only access my financials from one computer, which never is used for general browsing and never has anything like facebook or gmail or other inquisitive software. That computer stays off most of the time, obviously not accessible from the net during those periods. Even if the main web connected computer is hacked or compromised, my important stuff isn't affected.
This is a good idea! Keep one PC off the Internet for important personal stuffs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
I don't think I would buy a second computer just for the heck of it. Assuming you already have a working computer, and you go out and buy a new one, couldn't you just use the old computer as a backup if you really needed it? In my 25 years of owning computers I have never had a situation where my primary computer crapped out, and even if it did, I always have at least 1 or 2 older models lying around anyway.
In the past I sell my computer when it's approaching the warranty expiration. I'm not a geek so not comfortable to keep a computer that has no warranty, but I have kept my laptop as they don't make similar good ones any more, and it hasn't had any major problem.

Anyway I'm changing mind because the compact small PC I bought has no fan and runs very hot. I'm thinking of replacing it with a larger one with fan. (Not sure how the fanless works but it's really hot, much hotter than the laptop. I wonder why they can't use a fan like in laptops.)

Old 08-26-2016, 11:59 AM

16,551 posts, read 19,708,993 times
You sell your computer when the warranty expires? Warranties are normally 12 months. So you buy a new computer every year?

Old 08-26-2016, 12:21 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,149,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
You sell your computer when the warranty expires? Warranties are normally 12 months. So you buy a new computer every year?
I was wondering the same. And in my experience, computers in general are pretty reliable. You're probably much more likely to have an issue before the warranty expires rather than after. I have a computer that's 10 years old, and aside from being a little slow, it still functions just fine.

Old 08-26-2016, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I always have at least 3 years of warranty. If I don't sell, I purchase post warranty for 1-2 years. Maximum warranty is 5 years total because (I was told) after 5 years problems will be expected (I guess the manufacturer wants you to buy new ones).

Old 08-27-2016, 01:12 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,577,787 times
years ago, i bought 2 acer revo's for 2 tv's to run kodi on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers