Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2016, 06:57 AM

73 posts, read 68,511 times

Advertisements

Please excuse this question if previously asked. I searched but didn't see anything.

I have an HP laptop I bought in ~2013.

Computer works fine except with the latest update.

I CANNOT get my computer to connect to the WiFi. It is not my internet. It works fine for XBOX live, iPhone, etc. My computer will display my WiFi connection but it will not connect as it says at the bottom right corner of the screen unidentified network, no internet access.

I have tried reinstalling/removing/refreshing the LAN card under network adapters for the device manager. (I watched some YouTube video showing the steps and followed them.)

I have also removed AVG (what we had before the update) and reinstalled another antivirus program.

Nothing I do seems to work.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2016, 06:59 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,303,910 times
Tried rebooting the modem?

Disconnect the power supply.

Wait one minute or more.

Reconnect the power supply.

Wait until the lights return to their usual state.

Check your connection again.

Old 08-30-2016, 10:16 AM

7,057 posts, read 9,079,887 times
OP said the connection was working for the other devices. It's not the wi-fi/modem.

Event occurred after update- probably driver/settings borked.

OP- go into control panel and *tell* it to connect to the network, input password again if needed.

Old 08-30-2016, 01:09 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,694,717 times
No OS version mentioned.

Go to Network and Sharing Center and click on Troubleshoot Problems. You should have a number of choices. Run them one at a time then test the connection after each one.

Old 08-30-2016, 02:00 PM

6,627 posts, read 7,342,677 times
Do a restore.
Go to your search box and input create a restore point (only way I can find restore point)
Should have menu box called System Properties.
Click on system restore (first prompt).
Read carefully before you click.
click next just text to read on this screen
You will have several dates. Pick the latest date that your system worked. Note the box at the bottom if you need more dates.
Follow the prompts carefully.
You might want to do some reading on the internet if you have not done this before.

Old 08-30-2016, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
OP said the connection was working for the other devices. It's not the wi-fi/modem.
My modem intermittently stopped doing wifi but kept lan cable access going. AT&T replaced it free.

Old 08-30-2016, 03:28 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,128,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
Do a restore.
Go to your search box and input create a restore point (only way I can find restore point)
Should have menu box called System Properties.
Click on system restore (first prompt).
Read carefully before you click.
click next just text to read on this screen
You will have several dates. Pick the latest date that your system worked. Note the box at the bottom if you need more dates.
Follow the prompts carefully.
You might want to do some reading on the internet if you have not done this before.
Kind of drastic before doing any rudimentary investigations/fixes, don't you think?

I'd delete the existing network connection and start the network set up again. If that doesn't work then go to device manager and check whether the network adapter is functioning correctly and update the driver, if necessary.

Old 08-30-2016, 03:30 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,128,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpanaPointer View Post
My modem intermittently stopped doing wifi but kept lan cable access going. AT&T replaced it free.
Ok but OP said "I CANNOT get my computer to connect to the WiFi. It is not my internet. It works fine for XBOX live, iPhone, etc."

Old 08-30-2016, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
Ok but OP said "I CANNOT get my computer to connect to the WiFi. It is not my internet. It works fine for XBOX live, iPhone, etc."
And I said that everything BUT wifi worked on my modem.

Old 08-30-2016, 03:45 PM

3,886 posts, read 3,504,464 times
Sometimes the fix is as simple as turning the wifi adapter off then on. A good place to start is to go to device manager and see if the adapter is working properly according to Win10.

At worst you could either (1) do a direct connection to the router to see if you can get an updated driver. Several ways to get the driver or (2) buy a cheap usb adapter.

I would not do a restore at this point, and note that restores often fail, unless you're in safe mode.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers