Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2016, 02:10 PM

44 posts, read 33,381 times

Advertisements

Important Specs
Dual Intel Xeon E5472 Quad Core 3.0GHz Processors - 8 Cores Total

8GB DDR2 RAM (4x2GB)

nVidia GT120 512MB Graphics - DVI + MiniDP

________
the "who cares" stuff

500GB SATA Hard Drive - All Drive Sleds Included with Screws

1 DVD-RW SuperDrive

OSX El Capitan Install

Dual Gigabit Ethernet, Bluetooth, USB
__________________________________________________ ____

Main purpose will be video editing however lots of multitasking

what other options should I possibly look at?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2016, 05:07 AM

6,593 posts, read 11,304,131 times
I have a similar machine as my home workstation (mine is early 2009). It's a great workstation. Albeit (assuming our specs are interchangeable) you'll likely want to max out the memory to 32, upgrade the video card, and get a SSD for better performance. I guess it depends on what price point you're looking at. It is a ~8 year old machine. So that's something you'll need to factor in as you're essentially looking at upgrading everything. And supposedly, you can actually upgrade the memory past the Apple stated max.

I don't do any video work (actually run it as a virtual host with 4 virtual machines), but that thing is still a beast for me. Zero issues HW wise. Even the Superdrive still works (seems like those things often go bad). The chassis design is phenomenal IMO. Upgrades are so easy to do.

Old 09-02-2016, 06:42 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,152,280 times
What's your budget?
For video editing work, I'd presume you'd need a powerful processor, lots of RAM, fast graphics card, and lots of storage (preferably fast ... thunderbolt ports help), and a good monitor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers