Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2016, 02:10 PM

227 posts, read 248,180 times

Advertisements

I just bought the Lenovo - Yoga 710 15 2-in-1 15.6" Touch-Screen Laptop from Best Buy and, of course, I was asked if I wanted BBs 1, 2, or 3-year warranty that also included Geek Squad. Total price for 3 years? $300. I couldn't talk myself into paying that, so I told the associate I would think about it, as I have 15 days to purchase the warranty.

Thoughts on this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2016, 03:07 PM

3,886 posts, read 3,516,845 times
Be a nice person and help that sales person get a big bonus. And BB to get big profits.

Some credit cards give extended warranties for free. That might tell you how much they're really worth.

Old 11-12-2016, 03:24 PM

227 posts, read 248,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
Be a nice person and help that sales person get a big bonus. And BB to get big profits.

Some credit cards give extended warranties for free. That might tell you how much they're really worth.
Oh I know they are doing it for commission purposes. I'm more scared of the laptop dying on me in like a year. The last time I've owned a laptop was when I went to college in 2006 and it was a Toshiba. That thing lasted 3 years and then I bought a desktop and that just died on me. I just feel laptops aren't meant to last long.

Old 11-12-2016, 04:15 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,742,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post

I like the way you put that. This is good advice, OP. Save your money for something useful.

I'll add this....Best Buy, from my recent experience with two purchases, is much improved in this area over what they were years ago. Back in the day, they hounded me about extended warranties to the point of my walking out on a couple of occasions. Even after I warned them that I would walk if they kept it up. I didn't return for a long time.

But I just bought 2 laptops and a monitor earlier this year with no warranty hassle. They asked me if I wanted it, I said no, and that was that. They also exchanged the first laptop I bought after their 15 day stated return window and were great about it. Left me feeling good about shopping there again.

Old 11-12-2016, 05:47 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,749,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fernweh View Post
I just bought the Lenovo - Yoga 710 15 2-in-1 15.6" Touch-Screen Laptop from Best Buy and, of course, I was asked if I wanted BBs 1, 2, or 3-year warranty that also included Geek Squad. Total price for 3 years? $300. I couldn't talk myself into paying that, so I told the associate I would think about it, as I have 15 days to purchase the warranty.

Thoughts on this?
Think about what you just paid for the laptop, then think about how much it might cost in three years. Odds are you might be buying a new one for the same money.

Old 11-13-2016, 05:48 AM

23,175 posts, read 26,238,355 times
Keep in mind that many(most?) credit cards offer to double a warranty (up to a year).

Old 11-13-2016, 11:53 AM

2,336 posts, read 2,581,476 times
Extended warranties on electronics are a huge waste of money. Check with Lenovo, I believe they include a 1 year warranty for their laptops. They also offer extended warranties after the original period that are likely cheaper than BB, if you're still inclined.

Old 11-13-2016, 08:34 PM

16,559 posts, read 19,748,805 times
I'll be the lone dissenter. I generally recommend against these warranties, but the one on laptops is decent because it covers accidental damage, I believe. Drop your laptop down a flight of stairs and it gets destroyed? They will replace it. So occasionally I do recommend the warranty on pricier laptops for people who travel with them a lot.

Old 11-14-2016, 12:00 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,122,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fernweh View Post

Thoughts on this?
They call it a warranty, I call it legalized gambling. The house always wins when you gamble. They sell those plans because they make a lot of money on them, very few people end up collecting on them and those that do might be in for a surprise because they didn't read the fine print.

Whether it's a TV, washer or a laptop they are designed to work well beyond the warranty. If something is going to break because of a manufacturing defect that will typically occur almost immediately or shortly after purchase.

Save your money and put it towards a new purchase 3 years from now.

Old 11-14-2016, 12:02 PM

61,903 posts, read 87,406,262 times
No extra warranty. Buy with credit card and you're covered. What doesn't break in a year, will not likely break after 2 or 3.
https://goo.gl/96wFKU <<< didn't see even one positive review
BTW: that laptop has OK reviews, but people have issues with the keyboard layout. (the right shift key)

Last edited by elnina; 11-14-2016 at 12:21 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers