Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2016, 08:46 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,939,398 times

Advertisements

So about a week ago I got my new Dell Inspiron 5567 laptop and so far I really like it, but I'm having trouble figuring out how to configure my screen resolution/scaling. My former laptop was a 14" with 1366 x 768 resolution and I thought it looked alright, although a bit pixelated and things were kind of too big. Now, I have a 15.6" laptop screen with a native resolution of 1920 x 1080 running Windows 10. The screen is very, very nice, but I can't help but be disappointed about the display settings.

By default, the "recommended" display setting is for things to be 125% for the size of text, apps and other items. However, things tend to appear blurry or distorted. Images tend to look blurred, because of the scaling, and text often looks blurred or bolded more than it should be. The device manager looks AWFUL and blurry. Even in Excel, the text in the tab labels are enlarged to the point where they are nearly touching the sheet itself and I know it isn't supposed to look that way. In Outlook, some check boxes are literally distorted looking. The list goes on. WHY did Microsoft design Windows 10 this way?! Don't they know that 1920 x 1080 is rapidly becoming the new standard in screen resolutions on PC's?!

Anyway, when I change the scaling setting to 100%, everything looks super crisp and clear and the way it should be. However, everything looks a bit too small. Web pages appear very narrow with tons of empty space on the sides. In Word, the page looks kind of small, with a lot of empty gray space on the sides, too. And in Excel, everything is just small.

So, what should I do in this situation?! For the past week I've been toggling back and forth between 125% and 100% scaling, but can't decide which is best. Would I get used to the 100% even though it's tiny?! Would I get used to the 125% even though it's blurry?

Help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2016, 05:31 AM

15,427 posts, read 25,799,414 times
Learn the CTRL and plus key combo to increase page and text size in browsers. CTRL and minus to make them smaller. CTRL and 0 to make them the original size.k

In Word, change the view or zoom to page width.

Other programs have different ways. Leave the scaling set to 100%

Old 11-15-2016, 05:54 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,550,121 times
I have 61 year old eyes and with reading glasses I am adapted to the higher resolution even on a little 11" laptop I use for portability. For all day work I go with a bigger monitor and use my laptop as a CPU in that regard. My work laptop (I telecommute) has a big full size monitor and wireless keyboard.

Old 11-15-2016, 05:58 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,662,165 times
This isn't a MS issue, it's a LCD issue.

The panel has 1920 x 1080 pixels. It will always be super crisp when you use the native display size (100%), and will always be less than ideal when scaled.

I personally chose to run at native resolution years ago, and just get used to the size, but I haven't had a monitor under 20" in many years (other than a 17" laptop).

Old 11-15-2016, 08:52 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,469,216 times
As stated above hold down the CRTL key and use the wheel on the mouse or press the '+' and '-' keys. This works in many apps like Word and Excel as well as web browsers. Fitting a native 1080 on a 15" screen is naturally going to be small. Also take a look at this, it may help

Turn off or on Clear Type Text in Windows 10

Old 11-15-2016, 08:59 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,676,557 times
It's all about the zoom. I preach about zoom all the time. Many modern laptops will even let you pinch to zoom on the touchpad.
Don't fight it. Zoom.

My one buddy just refuses to zoom. "I shouldn't have to..."
Fine... you look at tiny webages then you old curmudgeon! I'll enjoy my full screen zoomed in pages...

Not to even mention modern browsers remember how you like certain pages zoomed. So you only ever have to zoom once per page you visit.

Old 11-15-2016, 01:01 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,712,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
So about a week ago I got my new Dell Inspiron 5567 laptop and so far I really like it, but I'm having trouble figuring out how to configure my screen resolution/scaling. My former laptop was a 14" with 1366 x 768 resolution and I thought it looked alright, although a bit pixelated and things were kind of too big. Now, I have a 15.6" laptop screen with a native resolution of 1920 x 1080 running Windows 10. The screen is very, very nice, but I can't help but be disappointed about the display settings.

By default, the "recommended" display setting is for things to be 125% for the size of text, apps and other items. However, things tend to appear blurry or distorted. Images tend to look blurred, because of the scaling, and text often looks blurred or bolded more than it should be. The device manager looks AWFUL and blurry. Even in Excel, the text in the tab labels are enlarged to the point where they are nearly touching the sheet itself and I know it isn't supposed to look that way. In Outlook, some check boxes are literally distorted looking. The list goes on. WHY did Microsoft design Windows 10 this way?! Don't they know that 1920 x 1080 is rapidly becoming the new standard in screen resolutions on PC's?!

Anyway, when I change the scaling setting to 100%, everything looks super crisp and clear and the way it should be. However, everything looks a bit too small. Web pages appear very narrow with tons of empty space on the sides. In Word, the page looks kind of small, with a lot of empty gray space on the sides, too. And in Excel, everything is just small.

So, what should I do in this situation?! For the past week I've been toggling back and forth between 125% and 100% scaling, but can't decide which is best. Would I get used to the 100% even though it's tiny?! Would I get used to the 125% even though it's blurry?

Help!
Try some other (than 125%) scaling option settings. You can pull that setting up or down the ruler and, if you experiment, chances are you'll find one that looks better to you overall - a better combo of size and sharpness.

Mine looks good at 125% using my external 22" monitor, but with the built-in display I use something in the 145-150% range.

Old 11-15-2016, 04:03 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,939,398 times
You guys simply don't get it.

Using the Ctrl key and mouse, etc., to zoom in and out does NOT solve the problem. ANYTHING zoomed in or out from the native 100% setting at 1920 x 1080 is going to look blurry.

I believe there is no solution to this problem whatsoever.

Old 11-15-2016, 04:33 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,120,439 times
Okkkkk ... well have you tried other resolutions to see which ones are acceptable to you since Full HD apparently is not?
1400x900?

Old 11-15-2016, 04:35 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,679,616 times
It should not look blurry. I use the ctrl key/mouse all the time with no blurring at all.
There's something else at play.

Have you gone through the ClearType screens?

Last edited by Tek_Freek; 11-15-2016 at 04:49 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers