Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2022, 01:58 PM

1,119 posts, read 664,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0ldsm0bile View Post
it looks like Asus has a page with downloadable drivers specific to my laptop. is there any way at this point that i can rectify this by utilizing that page?
Like I said it's anybody's guess. If you install them, the worst thing you can lose is time if it doesn't work and you end up doing a factory reset anyways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2022, 02:19 PM

8,357 posts, read 13,508,346 times
Quote:
it looks like Asus has a page with downloadable drivers specific to my laptop. is there any way at this point that i can rectify this by utilizing that page?
Device drivers do not typically install like a regular application, by that, I mean, they wouldn't show up on the installed Programs list (Programs and Features fka Add-Remove Programs) unless they were installed along a software package like it typically happens when you install the full software package for a printer or scanner.

WinKey + R then type APPWIZ.CPL then OK <- Good old Microsoft naming convention which is short for Application Wizard. CPL extension is used in Windows for Control Panel applets)

This is one of the one I use regularly on other systems along with; SYSDM.CPL (System Properties), NCPA.CPL (Network Adapters), POWERCFG.CPL (Power Management), MAIN.CPL (Mouse), MMSYS.CPL (Audio)

If known file extensions are NOT hidden, you can list browse to the C:\Windows\System32 directory and change view to "Details" and sort the list by TYPE to view all the ones applicable to your system (see attached screenshot if interested). Same goes for MSC files.

If that is the case then check the "Programs and Features" list to see if you spot anything on the list related to the vendor or device in question. If not, then simply remove the device and its drivers from the Device Manager:

WinKey + R then type: DEVMGMT.MSC then OK <- Short for Device Management and MSC extension is used for all core system components that has a UI and short for Microsoft System Console (if I remember correctly)

See attached screenshot for what you need to do for the device in question (I used my Network Card as an example).
Attached Thumbnails
Where can I get a Windows 7 disc with product key?-windows-11-device-manager-removal-plus   Where can I get a Windows 7 disc with product key?-system32-cpl-list.jpg  

Last edited by TurcoLoco; 02-04-2022 at 02:39 PM..

Old 02-07-2022, 04:35 PM

8,357 posts, read 13,508,346 times
Quote:
i just found a win7 drivers install/reintall/recovery disc and a win7 "automatic driver installation" DVD. is there an easier way for me to correct this with those discs?
Two options:

1- Go to OEM's Support site and either using your computer's Service Tag, Serial number or last resort, model and look for the latest available drivers.

OR

2- Download the free app Snappy Driver Installer Origin, and use it download and install missing, latest and/or more optimized device drivers.

Typically, you need to allow it to pass thru your firewall. Then click on the top bar and from that opening window, select "This PC only" option followed by OK.
Then check the ones you needed or were missing (would typically be listed in Orange color.
Newer drivers are not always better but if you see one that has a newer driver that is also more optimized, then it is up to you to update it.
I normally do not install older ones even if it shows "more optimized" but if the problem device actually has one listed, it might be worth a try!

I typically ONLY install the ones that were missing.

Make sure the "Create a Restore Point" option is check. If you do select "Install All" option, it automatically selects the "Create Restore Point" option.

Using SDIO is really practical and effective, especially for older machines or odd brands.
Attached Thumbnails
Where can I get a Windows 7 disc with product key?-sdio-01.jpg   Where can I get a Windows 7 disc with product key?-sdio-02.jpg   Where can I get a Windows 7 disc with product key?-sdio-04.jpg   Where can I get a Windows 7 disc with product key?-sdio-05.jpg   Where can I get a Windows 7 disc with product key?-sdio-06.jpg  

Last edited by TurcoLoco; 02-07-2022 at 04:56 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers