Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2017, 01:14 PM

1,333 posts, read 879,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Actually everyone but Alec is on the same page
Honestly, browsing the internet with less than an FX 9590, 3-way crossfire Fury X's, 64GB of ram (@2133MHz) and a custom watercooling loop is an exercise in futility.

That should be the bare minimum layout. To be honest; you're getting off cheap (and you'll still crush the Intel peasants.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2017, 03:11 PM

4,692 posts, read 1,154,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyl3r View Post
Eats memory, sure. Not CPU and GPU.
What about web scripring like a client side java scripts? What about browser plugins with own scripts? Its operate to CPU not memory.

Old 02-07-2017, 04:03 PM

10,924 posts, read 21,934,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alec Solano View Post
What about web scripring like a client side java scripts? What about browser plugins with own scripts? Its operate to CPU not memory.
If you think you need a gaming computer and high end graphics card to run site scripts and browser add-ons it might be a good idea, for the sake of people that come here asking for help, to stop offering advice on computers.

Old 02-07-2017, 04:09 PM

1,333 posts, read 879,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alec Solano View Post
Of course it operates on the cpu. Now just what in god's name are you doing in JavaScript that you need a gaming computer to run? Because I can tell you right now, you're doing it wrong.

Old 02-07-2017, 05:42 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,906,278 times
If your just going to browse the web and low gaming, than desktop will be just find. Only recommand a unit with 8 gig or better. Most desktops you see on the shelf at walmart or best buy are 4gig or less. They will do the job you want. The only thing i would suggest is stay away from Emachines period. Compaq are the worst cheap systems that will fail on you with in 3 months. For support go with Dell, if your a self DIY person than other brands will work. Dell has great warranty and come with 2 years for parts and labor on most if not all models now. I stop reading others topics after the first page. Simple question is answer..
Simple basic web stuff and limited gaming, than choose a off the shelf desktops you see at your electronic stores. Personaly look at the ones in mom-pop PC places as they can build you one pretty cheap that will do the job. If you want to game on it later and need to upgrade, than stick with intell 1151 socket systems. But i have a socket 1150 i7 4790K editon that is on par with the i7 1151 with out over clocking it.

Old 02-08-2017, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Of course it operates on the cpu. Now just what in god's name are you doing in JavaScript that you need a gaming computer to run? Because I can tell you right now, you're doing it wrong.
Is it gaming computer?
Quote:
I recommend something like this:
Intel Pentium G4560 Kaby Lake (3500MHz, LGA1151, L3 3072Kb) Socket LGA1151 80 $
Any good and functional motherboard with Socket LGA1151 100 $
SSD 250 Gb - 100 $
memory DDR4 16 Gb - 130 $
other (rack\power supply\pereferials) 200 $

Old 02-08-2017, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
If you think you need a gaming computer and high end graphics card to run site scripts and browser add-ons it might be a good idea, for the sake of people that come here asking for help, to stop offering advice on computers.
In my config GPU builded on CPU. No videocard!

Old 02-08-2017, 02:31 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,906,278 times
Quote:
Honestly, browsing the internet with less than an FX 9590, 3-way crossfire Fury X's, 64GB of ram (@2133MHz) and a custom watercooling loop is an exercise in futility.

That should be the bare minimum layout. To be honest; you're getting off cheap (and you'll still crush the Intel peasants.)
na i laugh at your amd..

One card that can do laps around your crossfire.. 1080 gtx.

however i7 4690k air OC can get it to 4.3 with no heat issues..

Love amd back in the day, but lost them when they started to change the CPU schemes.

Old 02-08-2017, 06:30 PM

21,723 posts, read 24,957,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobisinthehouse View Post
I am looking to buy a new Desktop, I will only be using it for the internet. I want the best performance desktop. I am going to buy one with a Dedicated graphics card.

what is overall better Home or Gaming?

Also are HP and Dell top of the line? or is there a better brand?
Build your own. HP and Dell don't sell particularly high end systems. Dell owns Alienware which sells higher-end but still you can do much better (regardless of cost on your own). Since you want the best performance I'd go with the most expensive Core i7 you can afford, GTX TItan X, 128 GB of RAM, and 2x 1TB high qualities SSDs in Raid 1. You'll probably either need to build it yourself or go to a custom builder (Falcon North West or similar). Just priced a quick one on FNW and came out with over $7,000. That's not even using a multiple CPU Xeon setup, SLI, larger SSDs, or any peripherals. Which is why I'd build my own. Save a couple grand.

Old 02-09-2017, 05:43 AM

3,886 posts, read 3,482,451 times
Build your own = do your own tech support.

Funny how people here push folks to have the "best" at a big price, when most any mid-range system would do. Unless you are a competitive gamer (and you know if you are - lan parties and all), it is sooo easy to over-buy. And, unlike over-buying in a car, where everyone knows you've spent a ton of money, with computers no one knows. The few you tell probably don't care and certainly won't be impressed at all the money you've wasted.

One brand better than another? Interesting, since none of the brands make their own machines. Everyone uses the same set of commercially available components. Yes, there are different suppliers of memory, to use one example, but they vary mostly with regard to performance and compatibility, not reliability. Same is true of all the other components. And there's no "more reliable" way to put components together. Either it works or it doesn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers