Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2017, 07:26 AM

14,466 posts, read 20,648,603 times

Advertisements

I got a black screen last week and then only got narrow glimpses of screen and in one of these glimpses was able to see and click the start button but not shutdown. On a later glimpse was able to click shutdown. The system did not turn itself off, the fans gained speed and they were heard they were spinning so fast. After several minutes I turned the system off.

There is a yellow exclamation point beside the Intel graphics in the device manager.

I can not do a system restore it keeps finding some file it can not access.

Youtube Movie Maker won't open and Windows Movie Maker won't open. Other than all of the above the system runs fine.

I need the movie makers and the drivers might be an issue as far as the yellow !
64 bit Windows 7.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2017, 07:41 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,475,528 times
Update your video drivers.

Old 05-09-2017, 09:53 AM

14,466 posts, read 20,648,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
Update your video drivers.
I went to the computer's manufacturer site and they had a tool to locate our model and serial number. Then they gave optional or recommended downloads for various parts. They were listed by date. Near the top was Nvidia. Way down the page dated 2010 were the Intel drivers. We began the download and got a message that we already had more recent drivers than the ones we were downloading. All videos play fine but these two movie makers won't open. VLC media player works fine. As does live horse racing from the Kentucky Derby.

Old 05-10-2017, 07:09 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,475,528 times
It could be a lot of things, you may be pulling your hair out trying to figure it out. What I would do is replace the video card. Decent ones can be had for as low as $35. Try googling in the mean time
you'd be surprised what you can find. What type of system? Is it on board graphics?

Old 05-11-2017, 12:01 PM

3,886 posts, read 3,504,464 times
Try system restore from Safe Mode with no drivers loaded. That's what I have to do.

Driver updates can be done through device manager, where windows searches for the update. Probably a better strategy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers