Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2018, 10:09 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,269,751 times

Advertisements

Ok, I ordered a video card from Amazon. The box arrived today - unsealed. And it was in the original product box - no packing box. They just slapped a tracking sticker on it and away it went. The thing that gets me the most is the unsealed box because it easily opens along the length of the package and not one of the top or bottom sides. I can easily envision the unsealed box being wedged open while jostling in a sea of letters and rigid cardboard packages.

I realize that I am getting up there in the years, and I am behind on a lot of things, but is this how business is conducted these days? Am I wrong for immediately searching the Amazon website for their return policy? My first instinct is to return it with a complaint, but I am wondering if this is how things are done now days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2018, 07:03 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,698,509 times
No this is not normal.

However, I certainly wouldn't return something that I ordered over that. That seems extreme.

Old 03-08-2018, 10:18 AM

Thanks for the comment. I was immediately incensed when I found my package on the porch, but after a few minutes I wondered if I over reacted. I needed to hear others opinion.

Old 03-08-2018, 11:05 AM

7,519 posts, read 13,624,634 times
Not everything listed on Amazon is shipped by Amazon.

Some stuff is shipped directly from an Amazon affiliate that uses Amazon only for advertising, ordering, and billing.

Old 03-08-2018, 08:26 PM

21,882 posts, read 25,146,349 times
Depends if I bought a new one or used/open box. New I'd return it. Sorry, but if I'm paying nearly double for a new video card from I third-party seller I expect it to, you know, be new... not something that's been used in a mining rig for the past 6-18 months at full load 24/7 and possibly inadequately cooled.

Old 03-09-2018, 08:49 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,698,509 times
But why would you assume it's used, Malloric? It's pretty easy to tell if its used. New eectronics have a very specific odor, which I love BTW. Way better then new car smell.
I assumed it got a bit damaged in transit.

Old 03-09-2018, 10:15 AM

2,743 posts, read 4,827,742 times
Your selling website, (and the manufactureres) should have a "What's in the box" listing you can check to make sure all is contained.

Then look at the actual motherboard connections. You should be able to tell by light scratch marks if it's ever been inserted.
If anything is missing or show signs of prior use, then it might have been a "factory reconditioned" box (IE: someone bought it, returned it, the factory made it workable, and set it to be resold). If so, you paid new prices for what should have been discounted.

Old 03-09-2018, 10:23 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,477,098 times
Ditto on not everything is sold by Amazon. They have a large network of 3rd party resellers. From the sounds of it, they sent you a card with OEM packaging, meaning not much packaging at all. This is used for system builders. It does not necessarily mean that it was opened by anybody.

The alternative would be retail packaging which would make sense if it was direct from Amazon. Retail packaging would also be seen at retail stores such as Best Buy and Walmart.

Can you provide a link for the item on Amazon?

Old 03-09-2018, 11:59 PM

This is the link to the card from my delivered-orders page:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is the card in case the link doesn't work:
MSI GAMING GeForce GT 710 2GB GDDR5 64-bit DirectX 12 Low Profile Graphic Card (GT 710 2GD5 LP)

On my delivered-orders list, it says "Sold by: Amazon.com Services, Inc." but it looks like that changes to "J-Electronics" when I click on that link above.

Also I paid $49.99, but the price is higher when I click on that link.

I noticed the manual has some very subtle wrinkling. Since it's not an expensive card, I will chalk it up to lesson learned. I think I will buy electronics in person from Fry's from now on. I'll still use Amazon for books though. I love used books.

Old 03-10-2018, 08:17 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,477,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielWayne View Post
This is the link to the card from my delivered-orders page:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is the card in case the link doesn't work:
MSI GAMING GeForce GT 710 2GB GDDR5 64-bit DirectX 12 Low Profile Graphic Card (GT 710 2GD5 LP)

On my delivered-orders list, it says "Sold by: Amazon.com Services, Inc." but it looks like that changes to "J-Electronics" when I click on that link above.

Also I paid $49.99, but the price is higher when I click on that link.

I noticed the manual has some very subtle wrinkling. Since it's not an expensive card, I will chalk it up to lesson learned. I think I will buy electronics in person from Fry's from now on. I'll still use Amazon for books though. I love used books.
I didn't see anything about the packaging on the page so it was not obvious. If you wish, you could message the vendor and ask to see if you were missing any parts. OEM packaging is usually cheaper but come to think of it I have not ever received anything packaged that way when buying from Amazon even if from a 3rd party. Don't be turned off by this one purchase. Amazon is the world's #1 retailer for a reason and sell EVERYTHING. Sure they started out with books many years ago but now...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers