U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2017, 03:16 PM

2,710 posts, read 5,180,788 times

Advertisements

I may have to attach a wifi USB adapter to my desktop Windows 7 computer.

I've read that you have to download drivers for this to work. Does it say inside the packaging exactly where to download it?

Are there generally problems with getting this to work?

You know how wifi is called 802.11 followed by a letter - do you generally have to worry about the letter, in terms of compatibility between the wifi router and the device?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2017, 08:53 PM

3,549 posts, read 5,961,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
I may have to attach a wifi USB adapter to my desktop Windows 7 computer.

I've read that you have to download drivers for this to work. Does it say inside the packaging exactly where to download it?

Are there generally problems with getting this to work?

You know how wifi is called 802.11 followed by a letter - do you generally have to worry about the letter, in terms of compatibility between the wifi router and the device?
It will either tell you where to download the driver, or it will include it on a disk.

You usually don't have to worry about the letters matching, but higher letters generally mean a faster speed. What letter is on your router (or what's the model number, and we can figure out what's best to use with it)?

Old 05-26-2017, 11:16 AM

2,537 posts, read 3,875,022 times
Windows 7 is very good about being able to find the required drivers.
If it's not provided on a disk with the USB dongle, then make sure you're PC can connect on-line and find it.

The numbers show which standard is used. The later in the the alphabet, the more flexible, better quality it can do.
BUT: this applies to all devices to which it's connected. IE: If you have an older tablet, then it may still be slow even if you get a fast WiFi adapter.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11

Old 05-26-2017, 02:40 PM

I may move into an apartment with somebody else's router and right now I don't know which letter is on it.

Can you find out which letter it is, by connecting to it with a device or do you have to know the router's model number?

Old 05-26-2017, 11:30 PM

1,749 posts, read 1,288,059 times
The latest (and fastest) standard is 802.11ac. For most purposes, 802.11n will be fine, and it's more likely to be compatible with your devices. All recent wifi adapters are backwards compatible to older, slower standards.

Old 05-27-2017, 12:27 AM

10,685 posts, read 11,545,007 times
802.11g dates from 2003
802.11n was published in October 2009
802.11ac was published in December 2013

If you don't know, it is practical to assume 802.11n and not to assume 802.11ac . There is very little equipment out there that conforms to standards older than 7.5 years .

Old 05-29-2017, 02:04 PM

I went to the store and saw 5-6 wifi adapters. They all come with a CDROM with the drivers.

One of them said on the box you have to push a "push and connect" button on the router. But the guy there said you don't have to use that. Most routers I know, don't have that.

New question: if you're wired to a router, what's the difference between cat-5e and cat-6 wires? I think it's just a diff in speed and quality and would all work.

Old 05-30-2017, 10:26 AM

Quote:
I went to the store and saw 5-6 wifi adapters. They all come with a CDROM with the drivers. One of them said on the box you have to push a "push and connect" button on the router. But the guy there said you don't have to use that. Most routers I know, don't have that.
The Push and Connect is otherwise known as the "WPS pairing" function.
It was a security protocol added by manufacturers to make setting up WiFi systems easier. It let you pair a WiFi adapter to a device without having to enter a long password string on both. Unfortunately the security protocol turned out to have a very public bug, and is therefor easily hack-able. It is strongly recommended that you use some other security protocol such as "WPA2 Encryption"

Quote:
New question: if you're wired to a router, what's the difference between cat-5e and cat-6 wires? I think it's just a diff in speed and quality and would all work.
Larger CAT-numbers represent better quality wire and shielding, yielding faster bandwidth:
Google: what is the difference between cat5e and cat6 ethernet cables

Old 06-10-2017, 03:56 PM

Once you've installed the wifi adapter and the drivers, how to actually connect to it?

(This is Windows 7 by the way.)

Old 06-11-2017, 10:57 AM

Your router/wifif should have come with a QuickStart Guide that will walk you through this 5-min process.
In generic terms:

One time setup when you first connect the router to your Internet cable from the wall:
Router/WiFi Setup:
Change the Router/WiFi's password, from the factory default (found on the Guide), to a password that is VERY complex. This protects only the router and it's settings.

WiFi settings:
Rename the WiFi to something recognizable.
Set the WiFi encryption method. As mentioned above, the WPS is probably still offered, but is also the easiest to hack. You should use WPA2 if offered.
Change the WiFi password. This is the password that any device will need to connect to your WiFi. It should be the MOST complex password you use as this is the most commonly hacked. (Mine is well over 30 alpha/numeric/special characters).

There are other things you should do, The above is the most important, but another 5 minutes will make your network a bit more safe and faster: like choose the channel that has the least neighbor traffic, etc. This will all be on the Guide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers