Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2017, 08:59 AM

844 posts, read 1,442,865 times

Advertisements

Don't really understand why many citydata-ers love the laptop so much. The small screen, the annoying finger mouse, you either have to lean over and hurt your back to use it, or sit it in your lap (medically dangerous).

Please make me understand the laptop craze besides being able to carry it around?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2017, 09:06 AM

8,918 posts, read 4,649,221 times
Most of them have their own, internal, UPS (uninterruptible power supply).
They are generally smaller.
They can be set aside easily, allowing desc space to be used for other things.
You can place (mine, at least) into sleep mode, just by closing it.
They (generally) use less electricity.

As for it being a craze, they have been around for at least 25 years.

Old 11-07-2017, 09:21 AM

1,119 posts, read 1,464,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
Most of them have their own, internal, UPS (uninterruptible power supply).
They are generally smaller.
They can be set aside easily, allowing desc space to be used for other things.
You can place (mine, at least) into sleep mode, just by closing it.
They (generally) use less electricity.

As for it being a craze, they have been around for at least 25 years.
Yes, it's a lifestyle now, way past the "craze" phase.
Another plus - most have built-in mics and cameras (think Skype and similar), and all of them can use USB mice if you don't like the touchpad (really, who does like the t'pad??)

Old 11-07-2017, 09:21 AM

4,686 posts, read 6,138,296 times
I love 17in laptops, so atleast i can have a big screen and be able to move it from room to room.

Old 11-07-2017, 09:25 AM

23,597 posts, read 70,402,242 times
The consume much less power.
Some can be used in bed, resting on your stomach. (You adjust the height by eating more or less)
They work when the power goes out, not just for the five minutes a UPS gives you, but for hours.
I plug the HDMI port on mine onto my projector. Some of the European concert videos on youtube are great when seen on a big screen with proper sound.
If I'm going to work on one, I put it on the dining table. I dislike the keyboards, so most work gets done on a full size computer.

I think I have about five laptops of various ages around, some networked, some not.

Old 11-07-2017, 11:08 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,503,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankInPhilly View Post
Yes, it's a lifestyle now, way past the "craze" phase.
Another plus - most have built-in mics and cameras (think Skype and similar), and all of them can use USB mice if you don't like the touchpad (really, who does like the t'pad??)
Or better yet, a cordless bluetooth mouse that keeps those ports free.

I like my laptop because I can use it in front of the television or take it with me, obviously. It also was a less expensive way to get a Windows environment, while my desktop computer is my preferred Mac OS. If a laptop was going to be my only computer, I would get a nice big monitor to plug it into when I was running it in the office.

Old 11-07-2017, 11:40 AM

6,627 posts, read 7,342,677 times
Use it in various locations.

Old 11-07-2017, 12:34 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,557,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZORAC View Post
Don't really understand why many citydata-ers love the laptop so much. The small screen, the annoying finger mouse, you either have to lean over and hurt your back to use it, or sit it in your lap (medically dangerous).

Please make me understand the laptop craze besides being able to carry it around?
http://c783319.r19.cf2.rackcdn.com/i...7687Image6.jpg

Some desktop computers are so small that they can be attached to the back of a television on the four standard screws.

This cleans up your desk, but allows you to use a larger screen. Also you can replace the computer or the monitor unlike an "all in one" desktop.

Old 11-07-2017, 02:24 PM

16,548 posts, read 19,694,332 times
My god, not THIS thread again?!?!

How can anyone NOT understand the benefits of a laptop?
How is putting a laptop on your lap "medically dangerous"? Are you kidding?
The "finger mouse" you loathe so much is actually pretty great on newer laptops. You can zoom in and out with it. You can click with it. Double click. Swipe webpages back or forward. All kinds of cool things.
And being MOBILE with a computer is a pretty awesome thing. You can't just discount the best part of a laptop.
Need a recipe? Me? Take my laptop in the kitchen. You? Print it out. Dark ages, man.
And then...if I want...I can put it ON a desk and use it JUST like you use yours.
And backlit keyboards? Revolutionary man.
Maybe... you need to try one.

Old 11-07-2017, 02:40 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZORAC View Post
the annoying finger mouse,
A laptop can do anything a PC can do including haviing a keyboard, mouse and large monitor.

Some Logitech mouses and I would presume some of the keyboards are multi device. I have the MXMaster, there is little button on the button. You can switch it to at least 3 devices as long as you have receiver for each device. Just so it's clear it won't be operating both devices at once.

Of course you can also move the receiver from device to device or completely power each device off if you have a receiver for each one but that is PITA.

As far as the monitor goes you only need to plug a HDMI cable into each, or even a TV. Set the laptop so it only displays on external device when plugged in.

That said I prefer the PC but only because you get a whole lot more horsepower per $. I only have a cheaper laptop for portability. For example I spent a week in Philly last Spring with a relative at a hospital, certainly wasn't going to be dragging a PC there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers