Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2017, 07:38 PM

4,607 posts, read 3,301,434 times

Advertisements

I just got a notice on my Windows 10 computer that there's an upcoming update with new apps and what sounds like just razz-a-ma-tax, and doesn't really give the option not to do it, just wanted to know when I wanted to do it. Sounds like a big one, too, since they said it would take awhile.

Is there any way not to get this thing? (I hit the "snooze" choice which was the only one that didn't say either "get it now" or "tell me when you want it.")
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2017, 05:12 AM

43,284 posts, read 77,115,925 times
While there is added functionality, Security features are definitely included.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/wind...tures#security

Old 11-17-2017, 11:27 AM

4,607 posts, read 3,301,434 times
I notice it says, "Windows 10 Fall Creators update extends your creativity and productivity with immersive new realities, 3D storytelling, closer people connections, and cross device experiences."

None of that sounds like security to me. I'd rather not have all that stuff, but they continue to fill up our computers with "stuff." Or maybe there are security updates in there that they haven't mentioned? You'd think they would say so.

Old 11-17-2017, 12:27 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,720,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
I notice it says, "Windows 10 Fall Creators update extends your creativity and productivity with immersive new realities, 3D storytelling, closer people connections, and cross device experiences."

None of that sounds like security to me. I'd rather not have all that stuff, but they continue to fill up our computers with "stuff." Or maybe there are security updates in there that they haven't mentioned? You'd think they would say so.
And you're right. Few, if any, of these "updates" are of any benefit the consumer/user. They have but one purpose and that is to sell you more stuff.

If you are tired of it and want to put a stop to it, here's how.....

https://mspoweruser.com/turn-off-win...te-windows-10/

Old 11-17-2017, 01:01 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
And you're right. Few, if any, of these "updates" are of any benefit the consumer/user. They have but one purpose and that is to sell you more stuff.

If you are tired of it and want to put a stop to it, here's how.....

https://mspoweruser.com/turn-off-win...te-windows-10/
Why yes, choosing not to get security updates is a brilliant idea!

There's better VR support, which doesn't matter unless you're interested in virtual reality.

There's better 3D support. For example, you can now put 3D objects into PowerPoint presentations.

Edge gets some improvements like being able to mark up ebooks.

Windows Defender Exploit Guard is now built in, which makes it harder to exploit software bugs.

There's a new controlled folder access feature. Basically, access can be restricted to certain applications, making it harder for ransomware to encrypt your files.

So, new features, better security, and as a bonus, no one tried to sell me anything when I updated.

Old 11-17-2017, 01:18 PM

43,284 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Why yes, choosing not to get security updates is a brilliant idea!

There's better VR support, which doesn't matter unless you're interested in virtual reality.

There's better 3D support. For example, you can now put 3D objects into PowerPoint presentations.

Edge gets some improvements like being able to mark up ebooks.

Windows Defender Exploit Guard is now built in, which makes it harder to exploit software bugs.

There's a new controlled folder access feature. Basically, access can be restricted to certain applications, making it harder for ransomware to encrypt your files.

So, new features, better security, and as a bonus, no one tried to sell me anything when I updated.
"Ransomware?"
How is that a problem?
Why do I need security from that there "Ransomware?"

Sheesh....

Old 11-17-2017, 01:32 PM

3,549 posts, read 6,664,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
They have but one purpose and that is to sell you more stuff.
I've never once had anything in Windows try to "sell me stuff".

Old 11-17-2017, 01:37 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
"Ransomware?"
How is that a problem?
Why do I need security from that there "Ransomware?"

Sheesh....
Are you serious?

Ransomware is a huge problem. Look at the havoc WannaCry caused:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WannaC...somware_attack

CryptoWall and CryptoLocker managed to extort over $20 million from people.

But yes, by all means casually dismiss it. It's not like it's been a huge problem for years or anything.

Old 11-17-2017, 02:47 PM

2,336 posts, read 2,568,656 times
I'll take all the free stuff MS wants to give me for Win10. Whether I use it or not is my choice. Security enhancements? Hell yeah! VR and 3D functionality...not necessary, but having it doesn't bother me.

Old 11-17-2017, 03:08 PM

282 posts, read 232,982 times
I don't use anything from Microsoft Office, so ALL updates to any of that stuff is wasted. I have an old monitor and no virtual reality stuff, and I'm not into video games at all.

MS forced this update on me a few weeks ago and I've been having trouble ever since. Plus, it took over 2 hours of continual automatic (forced) reboots, during which time I wasn't able to use my computer at all.

Now, I have lots of features I have no use for, and a brand new computer that has desktop icon overlay problems, a non-existent scan error for my wifi printer (it DOES scan to computer just fine, but I keep getting a notification that it is disabled), and my security suite keeps trying to do a database update that gets stuck at 87%, and slows down my whole computer until I turn the suite OFF - and then turn it back on again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers