Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2017, 07:39 PM

1,458 posts, read 1,168,878 times

Advertisements

I have a scanning question. We recently upgraded to W10 computer from XP (what a change!) and I need help learning how to scan. With the old XP I printed out our contracts from our Word template and scanned back into the computer, saved to my hard drive in documents, and printed out a copy; attached to our email and off it went. I scanned in as a picture, as that seemed to be the only function on our brother 3-in-1 that worked, and saved to My Documents using a microsoft program (sorry don't remember the name of that).

If I attached directly from the document itself or a save-as copy, it attached the whole template and could be changed by the recipient.

Now I don't seem to have that microsoft program here and if I scan in to the computer, I can find it but can't open it. Obviously I need to do something else. I understand W10 has taken the scanning App out and I could install it for free, but haven't tried that yet. My Brother 3-in-1 only has 4 options for scanning: scan to e-mail which never worked on the xp, scan to image which is the one I used, or scan to ocr (didn't work?) or scan to file. I tried this last one here and really nothing seemed to work correctly.

I'm sure this is rather a basic question for most of you, but not for me. Help? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2017, 10:10 PM

2,336 posts, read 2,563,161 times
Not sure that I followed your process correctly, but it seems like you're making it unnecessarily complicated. Rather than using pictures, a better email attachment format for documents is .pdf. This can be done in one step by saving your document directly to pdf, no hard copy and scanning required.

All you need is a pdf app or program like PDF Creator or Foxit Reader (both free, but pay attention to the sneaky add-ons during installation). Once installed, they will show up automatically on your list of available printers. Simply print your document, selecting the PDF app as your printer. Choose Save, give it a name and a location to save to, and you're done.
Attached Thumbnails
need help scanning-ca5pture.jpg  

Old 12-10-2017, 11:13 PM

21,835 posts, read 25,102,289 times
Windows 10 has a PDF printer built in. Just print something and change the printer to save as PDF.

Printing a paper copy and then scanning it would really only be something you'd need to do if you had so sign something. Then just scan to file (saves as a PDF). I'm not sure what your problem is though. Sounds like it scans and you can't open it, no? If you install the full Brother utilities and run Control Center to scan you have more options but I don't really know why that would be necessary. Scan to image should scan to some sort of standard jpg, tif, bmp type extension that will open in Windows without and third-party programs. Right click on something you've scanned in and at the bottom there's properties. Click that and it will tell you what type of file it is.

Old 12-11-2017, 06:24 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,672,308 times
As OP is referring to contracts, I have to assume he/she is printing them and then filling them in.

The new program for W10 is called Windows Fax and Scan. If you click the search and or Cortana button and type SCAN it should find this for you.

Old 12-11-2017, 08:14 PM

21,835 posts, read 25,102,289 times
Doesn't sound like it. Sounds like he's filling out contracts in Word. He doesn't want to send the word document as then they could be changed by the recipient. It's exactly what we do as well. Most of the agencies I work for use write protected PDFs. You fill it out and then can't save any of the changes. Instead you have to either print them (or print as PDF/XPS). It's a precaution to prevent someone from accidentally sending a filled out contract template with editable fields. They go nuts when someone does something complete stupid and sends the template for the client to fill out which does happen I assume since periodically we get reminder emails not to do that.

Old 12-12-2017, 07:47 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,672,308 times
So then you PRINT DIRECTLY TO PDF. You don't print and then scan.
Yea, I just reread her post.

"I printed out our contracts from our Word template and scanned back into the computer, saved to my hard drive in documents, and printed out a copy; attached to our email and off it went."

I print out our contracts...
Scan it....
Save it...
Print it... again?!?!
What the?!?!?

PRINT. TO. PDF.

Old 12-13-2017, 06:49 PM

I thank you for your replies. I will look at each one and try some things to see what I can do. I have adobe on this computer, but maybe it's just a read program?

What I don't get is the print to pdf. I don't have any commands like that. When I tell my printer to print, even with the Brother command center software installed, I don't see any pdf options.

My contract template is a word document. I type in all the information on that. I can save as so I can go back to change things once DH has proofread it; but if I attach it at that point to an email, the whole template goes and recipient can change it. Not good. Malloric had that part just right.

If I ever figured out how to save it as a pdf, would the whole template be saved or just the typed document as I typed it?

On the window on the brother which lets me choose a file type, there is no pdf there. That would make it so much easier.

Sorry I sound so dense. It's because I am. At least about this.

Old 12-13-2017, 07:08 PM

Well that was something. I typed a page in word then messed around with the print commands and found some place (must start writing everything down because I don't know how I did that) where I could put into pdf. What came up was asking me if I wanted to publish it then there was other stuff but it wasn't really saved.

When I asked it to save, it offered me places like Onedrive but nowhere I could just save it to my documents so then I could just attach it to an email. Plus I started with just a single line on a page and don't know what this would do with a template.

Ok obviously there's an easier way.

I'll go look for windows fax and scan. My book told me windows 10 took the scan program out and I'd have to put it back in if I wanted to use it. I'll see if this is wrong.

Last edited by Pat Answers; 12-13-2017 at 07:27 PM..

Old 12-13-2017, 07:20 PM

Windows fax and scan is there. Under the scan tab it says custom office templates, fax, feedback hub, mypaperport documents, scanned documents. Types are jpeg(, jpg, jpeg, jfif. Under the new scan tab it gives these options: tif, bmp, jpg, png.

Whatever I do, it appears I'll have to print out a copy of my word text on the template and scan it back in to some sort of file in documents, and attach that to an email. Correct? I can't be sending the whole changeable template to people.

I'm sure I'm making this way more complicated than it needs to be. I'm just stumped.

Old 12-13-2017, 11:33 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,492,577 times
https://support.office.com/en-us/art...16,_2013,_2010

Directions to save as a PDF from Word.

Quote:
Portable Document Format (PDF) preserves document formatting and enables file sharing. When the PDF format file is viewed online or printed, it retains the format that you intended. The PDF format is also useful for documents that will be reproduced using commercial printing methods. PDF is accepted as a valid format by many agencies and organizations, and viewers are available on a wider variety of platforms than XPS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers