Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2017, 07:09 AM

2,805 posts, read 3,255,171 times

Advertisements

I had MS Money Sunset on Windows 7 and never should have downgraded to Quicken, I too feel MS Money was one of the best programs out there and I will stay with 7 as long as I possibly can.

As far as can it be done, there are a few ways already shown but IMO why bother, stay with 7 as long as you can and worry about upgrading only when you are forced to. I curse Quicken just about every time I use it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2017, 11:18 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,703,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
If you like MS Money I'd strongly suggest that you turn off the Windows Updates. I've had several of the MS programs disappear due to "updates", one of which was Media center.
Those are built in apps. MS would not remove an installed from CD's.

Old 12-19-2017, 12:01 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,722,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anitak1982 View Post
Sunset
Well, sorry, Sunset I can't help you with. Had nothing but trouble with it when I downloaded it years ago and tried to run it on XP, as the specs say it should be able to.

I have been running Money 98 since....yep....1998 and love it. I have looked at other versions since then (but not each and every one) and found no advantage in any of them. Most I didn't like even as well. So I've stuck with 98 and it runs fine on Windows 10, but for a minor glitch where you lose the mouse pointer at times on the transaction entry screen 'til you tab a couple of times. Not a problem at all once you get used to it.

I'd be lost without MS Money, too. If your Sunset works fine with 7, I'd stay with it.

Old 12-19-2017, 12:10 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,150,000 times
Quote:
If you like MS Money I'd strongly suggest that you turn off the Windows Updates. I've had several of the MS programs disappear due to "updates", one of which was Media center. We send a lot of vids back and forth and it all works on our network using Media Center. When one of the updates came thru, it eliminated Media Center. We had to go back and do a restore to get it back with files, and then they told us which update was the culprit and not let it download. Most of us on the network have now eliminated all updates. As long as you have a good anti-virus and aren't frequenting troublesome sites, you don't need anything they have for Windows 7. Most of the hacking and problems of today are being written for Windows 10, not 7. You don't need anymore support from MS.
LOL, bolded quote.

Fortunately, too, your IT folks are behind the 8-Ball and not too clever on compelling updates, which often contain security patches as well as replacing obsolete garbage like Media Center. They definitely scoured it off of Windows 10, possibly Windows 8.1 as-well.

Failing to complete those updates leaves security holes, which is how WannaCry infected thousands of systems worldwide in early 2017. You'd be laughed at very hard indeed as a company if due to "turning off" updates something like that swept through and disabled half the company. I'd have your Director of Infrastructure terminated the next day, if I were C-level in such a situation, for not compelling pushed upgrades on the domain.

And to this day, December 2017, I have a couple clients that are on Window 8.1 clients. They have their reasons. But all that is controlled and well-patched by the Domain, they're merely holding on to the past as part of their own IT roadmaps based on budget and (mostly) upgrade path for line of business apps, scripts, etc. Huge difference.

I follow the saga of most major Microsoft programs, it's clear enough their intentions watching how things change and morph year over year. For example, they want to be the BI leader so SQL editions focus more and more on analytics...which is a great thing.

Excel is all-powerful, I watched it grow in a quantum jump from Excel 2003 to 2007. Then again several iterations to current. It rivals Access in some ways. Access is probably still around to support actuaries; this is my theory, as a "desktop database" solution using a peculiar language but really cool for certain types of apps. Maybe that won't be sunset anytime soon, though I bet Microsoft would like to.

The Media Center thing, hadn't seen that. Read Wikipedia, it all make sense: deprecate that which does not fit the extensibility needs of new and upcoming platforms on the strategic road map. They're always thinking two years or so ahead on all this, btw.

No Windows 10 for you, I guess

Old 12-19-2017, 09:02 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,786,454 times
Quote:
If you like MS Money I'd strongly suggest that you turn off the Windows Updates. I've had several of the MS programs disappear due to "updates", one of which was Media center. We send a lot of vids back and forth and it all works on our network using Media Center. When one of the updates came thru, it eliminated Media Center. We had to go back and do a restore to get it back with files, and then they told us which update was the culprit and not let it download. Most of us on the network have now eliminated all updates. As long as you have a good anti-virus and aren't frequenting troublesome sites, you don't need anything they have for Windows 7. Most of the hacking and problems of today are being written for Windows 10, not 7. You don't need anymore support from MS.
I am surprised the updates wiped out your WMC.

Window Media Center is one of the best things Windows OS offers. I use it to record TV shows. If Microsoft had developed and marketed it properly, people might be using it for streaming instead Netflix. They could have cornered the streaming market too.

Initially I refused to upgrade to Win 10 because they dropped Window Media Center. Now I refuse to upgrade because it sucks.

Old 12-20-2017, 11:09 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,722,262 times
Quote:
Truth, for wise and disciplined users.

MS "support" has been vastly overrated for 20 years. And, at times, has done more harm than good. Particularly with Windows 10.

Old 12-20-2017, 09:04 PM

16,548 posts, read 19,703,819 times
Sadly, not many people used WMC. This is why it was dropped.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers