Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2017, 09:11 PM

21,876 posts, read 25,146,349 times

Advertisements

Dell Inspiron 15". You can always chuck the 1TB drive and toss a 5TB in and still be under $600.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2017, 09:14 PM

2,323 posts, read 2,178,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
I have been using a laptop as a HTPC for about seven years now. If all you want to do is playing/streaming a movie from the laptop and watch it on a big screen, you don't need fancy laptop for that. If you plan on converting, say recorded TV shows, into MP4 files, then you need a really fast CPU. A large internal hard drive is also helpful because movie files take up a lot of space.
I am not looking for fancy laptop, but I do prefer to have touch screen, which makes my parents easy.

I said "no more than $1000, that means $1000 is almost maximum I am willing to pay, but it is better to have much less than $1000.

I only need WiFI access, HDMI output, touch screen, those are three main factors.

Old 12-29-2017, 07:40 AM

6,033 posts, read 6,148,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlebeH View Post
True. For older people(my parents), who don't really know how to use laptop keyboard/mouse, but they are fine with iPad, since touch-screen is easy to use.
I might suggest just about any Microsoft Surface product. Granted, many of them are over $1,000. Some however are not. All are touch screen.

Older people notwithstanding, Windows 10 is not easily navigable in tablet mode in my opinion. I think Microsoft is working to improve that experience overall, and it is an option easily switchable from settings.

I use a surface 3 Pro from 2015 as my primary work machine, and I'm quite satisfied. I put it in tablet mode when I'm on the go and wish to capture notes in OneNote by hand using the stylus, for example. It has HDMI out, and in a pinch as others have said could easily connect to my TV and act as a media center. I don't think it would even breathe hard doing that, but at some point only 8 GB of RAM may or may not bite me. I have it on a 34 inch monitor at current, and when I open too many items it does start to breathe hard suggesting that the processors working overtime.

Putting arbitrary budgets on things like this is a little dodgy by the way. Essentially there are a couple ways to do things, the cheap way and the right way. Sometimes they are one in the same. In this case, I think it's a toss-up. My brand new $3,700 custom build MSI laptop is specifically for video, photo editing and games. Theoretically that is the right tool to use for All the Above. something at about $1,000, could also accomplish the mission albeit with more difficulty.

Old 12-29-2017, 08:14 AM

2,323 posts, read 2,178,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
Windows 10 is not easily navigable in tablet mode in my opinion. .
That is correct, but at least touch screen is easier than a keyboard. I am thinking to make desktop short cut icon BIGGER. I can downloaded some movie/video app into computer, something like Youtube app, so users can navigate inside the app. I am not expecting my parents to use any web browsers (IE, Chromes, etc).

Old 12-31-2017, 08:27 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,183,750 times
To me it would be a lot easier to have a receiver and a good set of surround speakers, or a least sound bar set. But maybe I am missing something?

Old 01-04-2018, 08:28 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,698,509 times
Yea, I think you need to abandon this idea.
Your parents... can't use a mouse and keyboard? (I think you aren't giving them enough credit here).
But they can use an iPad. So you want to get them a TOUCH Windows 10 computer?
A touch Windows 10 computer is still a windows 10 computer and quite a bit more advanced then an iPad.
I think you'd be better server with an Apple TV that can send content from their iPad.
It's got a simple remote. They can talk to it. Use the iPad with it.

Old 01-04-2018, 11:47 AM

3,285 posts, read 2,663,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
The problem with touch screen laptops is the sub $1,000 ones generally have smaller SSD drives. Great for speed but not great for storing a lot of media like a HTPC would.
If you're at all into HTPC and want to keep a selection of movies around, you really should be looking at a home NAS. A DIY person could use FreeNAS, or you can get some fairly inexpensive but full-featured home NAS products like QNAP, Synology, probably lots of others.

Old 01-04-2018, 12:50 PM

4,451 posts, read 6,800,191 times
This came up in a facebook ad. Apparently you can turn your TV into touch screen in more ways than one, but here is one that is tied into Android.

https://www.touchjet.com/wave/

What apps do you intend to use with this hometheater appliance for non tech savvy end users?

I didn't know there was a youtube app for the computer.

For under $200 you can get an Apple TV, Roku or Firestick. For Under $600 you can get a new 55 inch smart TV. No need to recreate the wheel for touch screen.

Last edited by thelopez2; 01-04-2018 at 01:07 PM..

Old 01-05-2018, 07:52 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,698,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr View Post
If you're at all into HTPC and want to keep a selection of movies around, you really should be looking at a home NAS. A DIY person could use FreeNAS, or you can get some fairly inexpensive but full-featured home NAS products like QNAP, Synology, probably lots of others.
Definitely. But this is not what OP is looking for. He needs to figure something else out. A touch screen Win10 Laptop is not the right play here.

Old 01-05-2018, 10:05 AM

2,266 posts, read 3,715,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlebeH View Post
That is correct, but at least touch screen is easier than a keyboard. I am thinking to make desktop short cut icon BIGGER. I can downloaded some movie/video app into computer, something like Youtube app, so users can navigate inside the app. I am not expecting my parents to use any web browsers (IE, Chromes, etc).
Not the right idea. Most windows apps (to me) suck using the touch interface, the web browser is even worse. Unless you're buying a Surface Pro (and...still use windows apps!), you're going to have a full size laptop sitting around on your entertainment center. And you still need to use a keyboard to search for...anything. The onscreen keyboard also sucks. If you're going to use a laptop, you might as well use the build in keyboard, or a bluetooth one. I'm a fan of Windows, but it sucks as a tablet OS.

I agree with others. An Apple TV or Roku with a bluetooth keyboard is a much better option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers