Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2018, 10:31 PM

2 posts, read 1,204 times

Advertisements

Today @t approximately 3pm my internet went down. It came back in about 3 minutes, but when it did many web sites were unreachable. My banks, Hulu, WebStorage, and other forum's. Netflix works as does other major sites but can't shake feeling of waking in an 1985 nightmare. This is still going on at 11:30pm. I have been a Systems Analyst for 40 years. Selective Address Failures are just a little to much to believe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2018, 10:58 AM

2,743 posts, read 4,826,963 times
Other than the tin-foil hat inferences, this problem may be one that can be solved here:

I hate to fall back to the ultimate-dumb suggestion .. but did you try rebooting your router?
It's possible that your ISP or router got their settings for you scrambled from the outage.

Both the ISPs and your router may have the capability to so limited filtering, (IE: so you could set it so your kids cant' connect to forbidden websites). Or,

The Internet address your ISP assigned you may have changed without their equipment recognizing it, and now it's limiting your access, ... or your router had something similar happen internally.

Either way, it cost you nothing but one minute to do a cold-restart (IE: let it sit off for at least 30 seconds).
If that doesn't help, then call your ISPs tech support (NOT customer/billing support, but tech).
Have them do an external reset of your connection.

Old 01-03-2018, 11:03 AM

23,597 posts, read 70,402,242 times
*shrug* --it happens. When I had Hughesnet, they somehow figured out how to PO Google enough that Google was unavailable for a few days. Satellite depends on the NOC and compression, which means you can't use alternative address resolution. It'll let you think you are, but it just re-routes to the NOC and stuff there.

If you aren't on satellite, try 8.8.8.8
I wonder if you somehow got malwared to one of the Alt DNS servers. Even SAs have bad days.

Old 01-03-2018, 11:55 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,108,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
If you aren't on satellite, try 8.8.8.8
I wonder if you somehow got malwared to one of the Alt DNS servers. Even SAs have bad days.
I'm no OP, but I'm betting you're correct.

Old 01-03-2018, 09:05 PM

6,948 posts, read 6,872,488 times
Try traceroute or ping perhaps? Sometimes I get routes to final destinations clogged up in some foreign country for whatever reason. That is in addition to the government restrictions I have to currently work with. You are lucky you can get Google at all - I cannot. Yes, try the obvious things like malware, and DNS changes, etc or boot up using a Debian live CD and try that.

Old 01-07-2018, 08:16 PM

4,451 posts, read 6,799,364 times
I helped someone where only Facebook worked on their computer network. I was stumped. This was shortly after Frontier bought out Version Fios in my area. I called the ISP Frontier and they said they cut service due to non payment, but I said facebook works, they said yea, other people tell us the same thing, some sites work some don't.

Old 01-07-2018, 09:40 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,694,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
I'm no OP, but I'm betting you're correct.
What a beautiful card....

Old 01-11-2018, 07:13 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,594,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelopez2 View Post
I helped someone where only Facebook worked on their computer network. I was stumped. This was shortly after Frontier bought out Version Fios in my area. I called the ISP Frontier and they said they cut service due to non payment, but I said facebook works, they said yea, other people tell us the same thing, some sites work some don't.
We had something similar happen years ago. When I was married we had high speed internet and cable bundled thru the cable tv provider, we switched and went with direct tv at one point, but found the high speed internet was still up and running from the other company, the only thing we couldnt use or access was the email service, everything else worked fine, this went on for almost a full year!

I also had cell phone service from this same company for a time, eventually switched to another provider, but the cell service continued to work for about 3-4 months after the cut off date.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers