Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2018, 01:14 PM

3,527 posts, read 6,527,342 times

Advertisements

Most people with tablets/phones will use a mail app, not the browser. Although on my desktop, I just use gmail inside the browser. I see no need to use an app just for the mail.

Why do people tend to use the mail apps and not the browser? One possibility is that the browser email might have ads. Although when I use gmail in the browser there are few ads. There are also differences in formatting, or certain features which are only in the app. Is that the idea?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2018, 02:53 PM

272 posts, read 184,146 times
for me it can be easier because I'm on my phone more and I get notifications as soon as I receive an email. And if it is an important email that time saved is very important! I will agree for a lot of apps on the phone, I'd rather use the desktop site.

Old 01-15-2018, 03:35 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
App: tap and done
Browser: tap, type in url, log in, finally get mail but in a clunkier interface that's missing features like push notifications

Old 01-15-2018, 05:02 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,572,023 times
i always use a pop3 client on the p.c. its just simpler.

Old 01-15-2018, 05:13 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,417,068 times
for mail, I always use an app (thunderbird, on PC ~ don't have or want a phone), and all my mail is setup for IMAP so I can check from anywhere. Was more handy when I had multiple computers, not so much now that I'm retired and only have 1 computing device.. other than I never need to worry about losing stuff in a computer crash.

Webmail has always been clunky, something I ditched about 2 decades ago when I setup my first domain and mail server.

Old 01-15-2018, 05:23 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,579,235 times
For twitter, I highly prefer the original desktop browser version. I cannot understand nor follow properly nor get good readouts using a twitter app.

Old 01-16-2018, 07:52 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,689,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
Most people with tablets/phones will use a mail app, not the browser. Although on my desktop, I just use gmail inside the browser. I see no need to use an app just for the mail.

Why do people tend to use the mail apps and not the browser? One possibility is that the browser email might have ads. Although when I use gmail in the browser there are few ads. There are also differences in formatting, or certain features which are only in the app. Is that the idea?
Or maybe because it works the way email should? People use apps on PC's to read email, too. Maybe you've heard of Outlook? Windows mail works great too on Win10. The browser is a last resort for some people.

Old 01-16-2018, 11:48 AM

3,527 posts, read 6,527,342 times
When I use gmail through my browser, if I get a new email, a "(1)" will appear in that tab right away. So notifications are good enough for me on the browser.

To BrianM: what do you mean when you say all your mail is imap so you can check from anywhere? If you use browsers, you can also check from anywhere.

Is there something specific about mail apps that make the browser seem clunky by comparison?

Old 01-16-2018, 02:28 PM

16,548 posts, read 19,689,232 times
Yea, but you have to be logged in to your browser to get those notices. You don't if you use a mail client.

Old 01-17-2018, 06:38 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post

For one thing I have multiple email accounts and they can all be managed from that single interface. You can do that with Gmail but you would have to forward all the email to Gmail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers