Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2018, 06:39 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,672,347 times

Advertisements

I was uninstalling some software on my laptop that I no longer need. When I got rid of Garmin Express (I hate that company and their crappy products, btw) my mouse stopped working. And I discovered the mouse and track pad had no drivers installed, and the touch screen feature stopped working. During extensive searching and asking for help from the mouse supplier and Dell I downloaded missing drivers, etc from both Intel and Dell. Even did a BIOS update.

No help.

My wife wife asked if I had restored to an earlier time and I hadn't. It's one of those things I'm just not a big fan of.

So I went back to before the uninstall process. No change. So I asked to see more restore points and went back farther. Windows wouldn't start. Big blue screen with messages and stop code 0xc000021a. Restarted a couple of times and got to a new blue screen for Automatic Repair. Opted for Advanced options which let me undo the previous restore.

Went through this with a couple of other restore points before I realized the touch screen was working during the repair process. What? That told me the problem must be in Windows. I should be so lucky.

Anyway I futzed through these restore points. Going through the same process over and over until one of the restore points I tried worked!

I have no idea why that particular one worked and I don't care. It's fixed.

I did find that it is a fairly common problem that, according to the posters I read, was a major fix requiring compiling code for Linux, tweaking code in Windows, taking the laptop apart and checking all connections to the screen, replacing the screen, etc.

I like my solution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers