Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2018, 07:32 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,245,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonahWicky View Post
If you're confused just reading about it, please don't even consider flashing new software on it! You'll be back here asking how to unbrick your router.

As advised, change the default SSID and password. There shouldn't be any further drama associated with setting it up and connecting to your devices.
Also turn off SSID broadcast if you’re not likely to have friends stop over and connect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2018, 07:05 AM

3,886 posts, read 3,504,464 times
Crazy, good point about two points of difficulty, but I note that modem/routers often don't have features, such as 5G band, that could be useful. Of course, I suspect that folks with the ability to use advanced routers already know these things!

Old 03-10-2018, 04:21 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,482,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fictional Chef View Post
[*]I live in a 450 sq ft apartment in a major city with lots of competing wifi signals.
[*]I will be the only user - a basic internet user. The most strenuous thing I do online is stream videos.
[*]After buying, I read reviews on Amazon. Some people have trouble with connections dropping every few minutes, some have great experiences. Someone warned not to use it without DD-WRT. Some advised not to use the default settings. How can I know what the best, most secure, reliable set-up is for me?[/list]
Confused by so much info, I called NetGear but, even though I bought the router and gave them the S/N, they wouldn't answer simple questions about the router unless I registered it and gave them my name, phone number, etc., Forget that. Help ME first. If the product is right for me, I'll register it then!

Any advice, recommendations, help or warnings would be GREATLY appreciated!
Definitely use the 5 Ghz mode on your router. 5 Ghz has a larger band of channels and is less prone to interference from neighbors but unfortunately, also degrades much faster with distance or walls. Also, download a Wifi channel scanner, select the 5 Ghz band, and select a channel with the least # of signals. If possible, put your router in a central location in your apartment and see how the reception and speeds are from the locations furthest from your router than you'll be using the Internet. If you go no/poor reception in those places or if some of your devices can't connect (they might not support 5 Ghz), you'll want to switch to 2.4 Ghz.

And if you go with 2.4 Ghz instead of 5 Ghz, use only channels 1, 6, or 11 no matter how uncroweded the other channels appear since the overlapping channels in between will receive a ton of interference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers