Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2018, 09:07 PM

10 posts, read 6,006 times

Advertisements

I have been using Windows 7 for 5 years , and i want to update it to Windows 10 , before doing it , I saw some bad reviews on Google.System upgrades are not as easy as we might think.A lot of people fail.
Here I want to seek help from those who have succeeded. do you have any suggestions for Windows update ? by the way , what do i need to do before updating ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2018, 09:28 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,111,983 times
I've done it multiple times. IMO, it would be better to replace a Windows 7 computer than upgrade it to Windows 10.

Old 03-26-2018, 10:15 PM

2,805 posts, read 3,254,506 times
I will second the above, buy new computer with 10 on it if you wish to go that route, many items on older 7 computers may give you issues when you downgrade to 10, some say 10 is great, others hate it, IMO anything that they try to force on people is not something worth having, they tried to force 10 on many of us who have 7, I and many others refused but had to do a work around to refuse since ms put it in an update..

Old 03-27-2018, 07:49 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,698,509 times
I have 40 former Windows 7 computers running Windows 10 that would disagree with both of you.

Old 03-27-2018, 07:56 AM

733 posts, read 760,873 times
I've got a 2010 HP desktop, that I upgraded to Windows 10 years ago. I've had no issues.

Before you upgrade, check these things:
1) Microsoft has a site that will scan your PC and notify you how well it is prepared to run Windows 10. So start there, and make sure it doesn't raise any flags.

2) Next you might want to check any special software you might be running, that will no longer work on Windows 10.

3) Finally, you may have hardware that might not work. I've heard folks having trouble with an old printer or scanner after the upgrade. Some vendors don't provide Windows 10 drivers for older printers.

Once you decide you want to upgrade, your final step is to make sure all your data is backed up somewhere. Should anything go wrong, be prepared that it will only cost you time to reformat, but not cost you any lost data.

It may take hours to upgrade, so just be prepared for the process. But if all the above checks out, I'd say go for it and don't be worried!

Old 03-27-2018, 09:17 AM

3,565 posts, read 2,116,169 times
The OP also needs to consider his/her own technical abilities/confidence when it comes to upgrading. There are a number of steps to consider and action, not least making sure backups to external drives are in place, along with a Plan B if the upgrade goes wrong.

Buying a new or refurbished W10 machine will be the better/safer/quicker option, and perhaps retain the W7 machine for general use, or sell it on.

Old 03-27-2018, 09:26 AM

1,119 posts, read 1,464,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattMN View Post
I've got a 2010 HP desktop, that I upgraded to Windows 10 years ago. I've had no issues.

Before you upgrade, check these things:
1) Microsoft has a site that will scan your PC and notify you how well it is prepared to run Windows 10. So start there, and make sure it doesn't raise any flags.

2) Next you might want to check any special software you might be running, that will no longer work on Windows 10.

3) Finally, you may have hardware that might not work. I've heard folks having trouble with an old printer or scanner after the upgrade. Some vendors don't provide Windows 10 drivers for older printers.

Once you decide you want to upgrade, your final step is to make sure all your data is backed up somewhere. Should anything go wrong, be prepared that it will only cost you time to reformat, but not cost you any lost data.

It may take hours to upgrade, so just be prepared for the process. But if all the above checks out, I'd say go for it and don't be worried!
Just emphasizing here how annoying item 3) can be. I have a Xerox DocuMate 510 scanner. It's a gem, and has given me well over 10 years of service, probably well beyond its expected life span. But ... it plain doesn't work w/ Win 10 (it's been years, so I can't recall the exact problem - I think it was Xerox not making drivers for Win 10 because the hardware was so old?). So until it dies, I have an laptop running XP (very, very old and very compatible w/ the scanner) just so I can scan docs. A PITA, to be sure, but it works.

Old 03-27-2018, 09:55 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankInPhilly View Post
Just emphasizing here how annoying item 3) can be. I have a Xerox DocuMate 510 scanner. It's a gem, and has given me well over 10 years of service, probably well beyond its expected life span. But ... it plain doesn't work w/ Win 10 (it's been years, so I can't recall the exact problem - I think it was Xerox not making drivers for Win 10 because the hardware was so old?). So until it dies, I have an laptop running XP (very, very old and very compatible w/ the scanner) just so I can scan docs. A PITA, to be sure, but it works.
Our HP 1200 series was a PITA to connect, but we finally figured it out. It's not just the printer, but a print server as well because the HP doesn't have a cat5 connector.

It was a pain with Windows 7, too.

Old 03-27-2018, 02:00 PM

5,922 posts, read 6,469,795 times
I have a 2010 Dell Desktop that is running Windows 10 smoothly.

Old 03-27-2018, 02:33 PM

295 posts, read 354,349 times
I strongly recommend you do a clean install instead of an upgrade if you decide to go forward. In either case backup everything you need before starting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers