Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2008, 12:21 PM

44 posts, read 166,389 times

Advertisements

I have a Windows Vista Laptop computer and love the computer itself, but hate the Windows Vista Program. What is the best anti-virus program to run on it? I have had Norton in the past on other computers, and do not like it at all. Also, is there any easy way to convert the Windows Vista into, say an XP? The software I have does not run on the Windows Vista and just finding it complicated to work with. If I would have know that Windows Vista was this difficult to work with, I wouldn't have purchased it.

Any ideas???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2008, 01:04 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,438,984 times
You'd have to purchase Windows XP, reformat, load XP, the find XP drivers all the internal components (chipset, video, Ethernet, audio).

What programs aren't working on Vista? I found that most old programs that don't appear to be Vista compatible can be made to run just fine by running them as Administrator, setting compatibility mode for XPSP2 or turning off UAC.

I use AVG Antivirus Free edition 8.0 on XP and Vista machines. Its lots better than Norton.

Old 08-10-2008, 02:34 PM

646 posts, read 1,639,158 times
Norton is one of the worst anti-virus programs out there. It uses a lot of your system memory, and it is virtually impossible to get rid of if you ever chose to do so.

There are so many anti-virus programs out there, and its hard to say which one has the best protection and most updates.

I currently use McAffee anti-virus, and I also use SpySweeper for spyware and adware. This combo has worked for me and I have not had any problems with either of them.

Free vs Paid anti-virus is a legitimate debate. I couldn't say where I officially stand o that. I guess I just assume that because you pay for a product they have an incentive to provide the best virus definitions and updates. I don't know where the incentive to create updates would come from on the free anti-virus. But nonetheless there are plenty of pros and cons to both types.

Other anti-virus software that have great reviews: Nod32 & Kaspersky

Old 08-10-2008, 03:17 PM

3,041 posts, read 7,930,791 times
I will say amen to all,norton loads you down and almost impossible to clean out, avg free has never let me down.

Old 08-10-2008, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkrocker27ka View Post
Free vs Paid anti-virus is a legitimate debate. I couldn't say where I officially stand o that. I guess I just assume that because you pay for a product they have an incentive to provide the best virus definitions and updates. I don't know where the incentive to create updates would come from on the free anti-virus. But nonetheless there are plenty of pros and cons to both types.
In the case of AVG Free, its free for personal use but businesses must pay. Its virtually the same product and the same updates.

Old 08-10-2008, 09:11 PM

4,264 posts, read 9,275,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
You'd have to purchase Windows XP, reformat, load XP, the find XP drivers all the internal components (chipset, video, Ethernet, audio).

What programs aren't working on Vista? I found that most old programs that don't appear to be Vista compatible can be made to run just fine by running them as Administrator, setting compatibility mode for XPSP2 or turning off UAC.

I use AVG Antivirus Free edition 8.0 on XP and Vista machines. Its lots better than Norton.
We are getting a new computer and I didn't order any antivirus on it. Is AVG still offering the free edition? When I got my present computer it had norton but I didn't like it so had it worked on and the person installed AVG free. So that is what i have now but I thought they had stopped offering the free. If it is still offered than that is what I will put on my new one. Does it work well with Windows Vista?

Old 08-10-2008, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzjmsmom View Post
We are getting a new computer and I didn't order any antivirus on it. Is AVG still offering the free edition? When I got my present computer it had norton but I didn't like it so had it worked on and the person installed AVG free. So that is what i have now but I thought they had stopped offering the free. If it is still offered than that is what I will put on my new one. Does it work well with Windows Vista?
Yes, the current version is available at AVG Free - Download antivirus and antispyware software for Windows XP and Vista and works just fine with Vista.

Old 08-10-2008, 10:32 PM

5,660 posts, read 26,993,372 times
Is your laptop used to connect to the Internet?

Review of Internet Security Suites by PC Magazine - http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2704,2231625,00.asp

Last edited by mm34b; 08-10-2008 at 10:49 PM..

Old 08-11-2008, 05:45 PM

44 posts, read 166,389 times
Thanks for the great info! Also, my brother got wireless internet and since I wasn't set up yet, he used his connection (I guess as he put in his info in my computer) then I thought about it if he can do this and if he can access my info from my computer since this is originally his service? Best Buy has a deal where they would connect you with wireless and virus protection so was going to do that. My brother thought he would save me a few bucks but not sure if this is a good thing.
What do you think about this? Pros/Cons?

Old 04-02-2018, 04:48 AM

557 posts, read 605,932 times
Sorry for the necro posting, but figured I would post here vs starting a new thread.

Just made the transition back to PC from Mac, and I probably should put an anti virus program on my new computer. What is the best one these days? I'd prefer a free program, but I'd be OK with paying for something that has advantages over something free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers