Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2018, 10:29 PM

5,110 posts, read 3,070,995 times

Advertisements

Oh okay thanks. yep I have malwarebytes. I think I have an anti-virus program but if not I can download one. However, when reading on this logon program, I read that this problem is causes by the computer itself, and it's not caused by a virus or malware, or at least that it didn't list those as causes.

When I make a new account and copy everything into there though, does that mean the computer's hard drive will take up a lot more space in copying everything?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2018, 12:25 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,705,555 times
Run Malwarebytes anyway. Download and run Ccleaner.

Yes, but once the files are copied to the new profile - and make sure everything is in the new profile - then delete the files in the original profile. Since you back everything up to external drives it's okay to have it one location on the internal drive.

Ccleaner removes all the temp junk programs put on your computer. That helps with things running faster. That website (Filehippo) is safe. The only thing to be aware of is that you should only click the big green download button - nothing else - and wait for it to start.

A post explaining Ccleaner usage.

//www.city-data.com/forum/20778157-post21.html

Last edited by Tek_Freek; 04-08-2018 at 12:41 PM..

Old 04-08-2018, 06:51 PM

Okay thanks, but I have a problem now. I tried copying and pasting everything to another hard drive in case not everything is backed up.

The copying and pasting froze. The computer works fine when it comes to the internet and things like that, but the copying and pasting is frozen.

The only thing I can do to unfreeze it is to reboot the computer I think. But if I do that, then I am back to square on and cannot logon. What should I do?

Old 04-08-2018, 08:10 PM

Have you tried ctrl/alt/delete? It's a very long shot, but it might open up a dialog box.

Out of curiosity did you run Malwarebytes and Ccleaner before you started the copy? If not do so if you get back to wanting to copy. You want the system as clean as possible before you start the copy process.

If ctrl/alt/del doesn't do anything you're stuck with a reboot.

Old 04-08-2018, 10:33 PM

Okay thanks, that helps and back to nowhere again. Malwarebytes didn't find anything significant but I will try the cleaner next. I thought the problem was caused by not enough space, according to one user before, or could it be malware as well?

Old 04-09-2018, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
Okay thanks, that helps and back to nowhere again. Malwarebytes didn't find anything significant but I will try the cleaner next. I thought the problem was caused by not enough space, according to one user before, or could it be malware as well?
Not enough space was me. You need to be careful when reading these posts. I said it can be a cause, not the only cause. Your comment regarding your computer not having enough space on the drive is what I was referring to.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony
Okay thanks. How do I copy and paste everything from the old account to a new account though, since when I log into a new account, the computer has forgotten everything that I copied while in the old account.

Or where is this c:/users specifically?

Also when checking a hard drive for corruption, what kind of corruption would I be looking for since, I am not sure how to do a general search for corruption.

But when it comes to copying and pasting everything into a new account, my computer hard drive would not have enough space on to double on everything though.
Quote:
This condition has been known to cause the problem you are having. Might be time for a lager drive, or an external for keeping documents, etc.

Old 04-09-2018, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
Have you run the program that checks for corruption? If it was malware Malwarebytes would find it and fix the problem. Ccleaner won't fix the problem, but it will help your computer run better.

Quote:
First check for corruption. If none is found that answers the question.

Windows 7

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...s-in-windows-7
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers