Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2018, 05:16 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,536,651 times

Advertisements

I have a computer/tower with Windows 7 Pro.

I have many files and folders on my desktop. Some of them are just folders with "stuff" in them like photos, trip information or grocery lists, etc, but some of them have information that wouldn't be good for someone to find if they were able to log onto my computer. (which is password protected but I leave it on almost all the time)

I've done a search to see if I can lock the folders with a password, but so far I haven't found anything. You'd think that these days with hackers, there should be a very simple way of securing files and folders with a password on a desktop.

What do YOU do to secure folders and files on your computer? Do you use an online service? IF so, what do you use, or do you have any other recommendations as to how I can secure my files and folders?

I'd rather not use an online service because THEY can be hacked or the web service just shuts down for whatever reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2018, 05:37 PM

2,805 posts, read 3,252,147 times
Have you considered moving them to an external thumb drive and storing it in a hidden place or safe.

Old 04-16-2018, 07:10 PM

6,623 posts, read 7,333,260 times
You can encrypt the whole disk.
Some programs will let you save a file and attach a password. See what saved options you have.

Old 04-16-2018, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Lee View Post
Have you considered moving them to an external thumb drive and storing it in a hidden place or safe.
Thanks for the reply Mr Lee: I could do that but it would be a PIA hauling it out every time I need to look up a password I've got on my "password" file which is every few days.

Old 04-16-2018, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
You can encrypt the whole disk.
Some programs will let you save a file and attach a password. See what saved options you have.
I'm sorry but I'm lacking in anything but basic computer jargon or skills. I have no idea how to encrypt a disk and I know you'll think that this is a really dumb question, but what disk?

How do I know what saved options I have?

Old 04-17-2018, 09:50 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,461,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
I have a computer/tower with Windows 7 Pro.

I have many files and folders on my desktop. Some of them are just folders with "stuff" in them like photos, trip information or grocery lists, etc, but some of them have information that wouldn't be good for someone to find if they were able to log onto my computer. (which is password protected but I leave it on almost all the time)

I've done a search to see if I can lock the folders with a password, but so far I haven't found anything. You'd think that these days with hackers, there should be a very simple way of securing files and folders with a password on a desktop.

What do YOU do to secure folders and files on your computer? Do you use an online service? IF so, what do you use, or do you have any other recommendations as to how I can secure my files and folders?

I'd rather not use an online service because THEY can be hacked or the web service just shuts down for whatever reason.
For passwords, I use KeePass. If you have super secret docs that you don't feel comfortable having on your system, might I suggest one of two things. One thing, burn them to a CD (which you may not know how to do) and keep the CD in a safe or the lock box at your bank. Or, print the docs out and keep those at your bank or a safe.

The latter is probably the easiest thing for you to do.

Old 04-17-2018, 10:02 AM

3,565 posts, read 2,113,738 times
I use lastpass, to store nearly all of my logins and passwords, but you need a hugely strong master-password to make sure it is reasonably secure. (I would say "totally secure", but no password manager, can genuinely offer that)

Since you don't have BitLocker on your Win 7 pro, machine, you could opt to dump all your information on a spreadsheet, and then hide it by using a white font colour, and then adding a password to lock the spreadsheet. But then again, you're going to have remember the password; and possibly do a backup of the spreadsheet to an external device or into the Cloud (One Drive, or Google Drive). This is just in case your PC should die on you and you've lost your original spreadsheet.

Old 04-17-2018, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
For passwords, I use KeePass. If you have super secret docs that you don't feel comfortable having on your system, might I suggest one of two things. One thing, burn them to a CD (which you may not know how to do) and keep the CD in a safe or the lock box at your bank. Or, print the docs out and keep those at your bank or a safe.

The latter is probably the easiest thing for you to do.
Thanks skinsguy. I'll have to check on that KeePass. No, I don't have any super secret docs. Just stuff I don't think is safe to just leave on my desktop in plain sight.

Old 04-17-2018, 10:46 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,672,347 times
Encrypting folders in Windows 7

Quote:
If you want to encrypt a file or folder, this can be done by following these steps:
  • Select the file or folder you want to encrypt.
  • Right-click the file or folder and select Properties.
  • On the General tab, click the Advanced button.
  • Check the box for the "Encrypt contents to secure data" option.
  • Click Apply and then OK.

How do I password protect my files and folders in Windows?

https://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000705.htm

Old 04-17-2018, 10:49 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,156,553 times
Put them into a folder, and then zip and password protect that folder. You can then readily access the files whenever you want - with a password, and they are no longer at risk to casual viewers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers