Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2018, 01:52 PM

68,349 posts, read 54,490,349 times

Advertisements

I was always under the impression that most electronics either worked or they didn't. I once mentioned that I thought my service was getting slower at a local office of my ISP and they said it was probably my aging router.

Fact? Or just an attempt at covering themselves?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2018, 02:26 PM

3,565 posts, read 2,121,365 times
You're right in that all electrical equipment will eventually start to fail at some unspecified point.

That said, most routers can get a boost by various firmware updates the manufacturers ping out from time to time. But once they stop supporting your particular model then there's a greater chance your router will slow.

In any case most ISPs should offer you a more updated router when they retire older versions - you may have to pay a discounted fee, or they could give you one for free.

Ask them and see.

Old 05-11-2018, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Zola View Post
You're right in that all electrical equipment will eventually start to fail at some unspecified point.

That said, most routers can get a boost by various firmware updates the manufacturers ping out from time to time. But once they stop supporting your particular model then there's a greater chance your router will slow.

In any case most ISPs should offer you a more updated router when they retire older versions - you may have to pay a discounted fee, or they could give you one for free.

Ask them and see

It's actually my own, seemed like a much better deal than paying a monthly fee, guess it may be time to buy new.

Thanks for the reply!

Old 05-12-2018, 08:22 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,587,396 times
internet traffic is more demanding than 7 years ago (internet streaming -- more devices: cellys, tabs, i-watches, fire/roku/chrome/... sticks, fitness trackers, ...).

a 1920 model-t will still have a max speed of 30mph in 2020.

Old 05-12-2018, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
internet traffic is more demanding than 7 years ago (internet streaming -- more devices: cellys, tabs, i-watches, fire/roku/chrome/... sticks, fitness trackers, ...).

a 1920 model-t will still have a max speed of 30mph in 2020.

I guess I'm a semi-Luddite , really haven't added any new devices/demands other than ChromeCast whose operation confounds me. There are videos that work in fits and starts on my laptop yet stream perfectly when cast, doesn't seem to me it's the router creating that issue.

Old 05-12-2018, 02:11 PM

6,594 posts, read 11,311,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I guess I'm a semi-Luddite , really haven't added any new devices/demands other than ChromeCast whose operation confounds me. There are videos that work in fits and starts on my laptop yet stream perfectly when cast, doesn't seem to me it's the router creating that issue.
Unless you're still watching the same video formats from 1995, your demands have increased. Even going to a web site requires more resource today than it did years ago. So the router isn't getting slower, it's still routing traffic based on the same logic. However, the content is likely using a lot more bandwidth today than it was in the past....

Old 05-14-2018, 04:30 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,920,034 times
Its not the age, just the data it can only handle. As we keep growing, your router needs to grow as well. If you have a spare PC laying around, with 2 NIC cards, you can make your own router basically free of charge and no need to worry about bottlenecks. If you need to know more info, let me know.

Software is base on linux and simply a plug and play OS/router software. $50 a year for a key but you get full virus protection and other great features that some normal routers doesnt have. And you can future proof it! I am running 2x2gig nic cards on a i5-4xxx server, 8gig ram and 500g HD. I use 300 of it for data backups on my other PCs. I have a ac1900 for wifi needs that is bridge to it.

2 xbox, 2pc, 4 phones, 2 tabs all watching netflix or playing games with a 500MB connection. Just eats up about 1-2 gig of ram and 0.46 demand on the server. My Asus AC1900 was 50% full in services with the amount of data i was pushing through it. So now the PC does all the heavy lifting.

Old 05-15-2018, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post
Its not the age, just the data it can only handle. As we keep growing, your router needs to grow as well. If you have a spare PC laying around, with 2 NIC cards, you can make your own router basically free of charge and no need to worry about bottlenecks. If you need to know more info, let me know.

Software is base on linux and simply a plug and play OS/router software. $50 a year for a key but you get full virus protection and other great features that some normal routers doesnt have. And you can future proof it! I am running 2x2gig nic cards on a i5-4xxx server, 8gig ram and 500g HD. I use 300 of it for data backups on my other PCs. I have a ac1900 for wifi needs that is bridge to it.

2 xbox, 2pc, 4 phones, 2 tabs all watching netflix or playing games with a 500MB connection. Just eats up about 1-2 gig of ram and 0.46 demand on the server. My Asus AC1900 was 50% full in services with the amount of data i was pushing through it. So now the PC does all the heavy lifting.

Thanks for the offer! I don't happen to have a spare PC laying around though. My computer use is very basic, other than this forum pretty much just Email and searches when I need/want to know something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers