Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2018, 04:44 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,675,571 times

Advertisements

Yes. I stopped it if that's what you're asking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2018, 03:16 PM

1,743 posts, read 991,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Maybe I should do that, too, as a backup now that I know they changed my update service setting without my consent or knowledge.
I hate to say ... "I told you so!" but ... "I told you so".

Months ago, you and I were going back and forth on not being able to stop MS from forcing their updates on us peons.

You said that you had stopped them from ever updating your machine and I said .. just wait, the update 'will' be forced on you whether you are aware of it at the time or not.

I had tried Every trick that others had said worked ... to no avail.

The only ones exempted from the forced updates were the windows 10 enterprise and pros because most of those are business related.

Yea, MS started allowing you to delay the updates for a while but then one day ... Wham .. there it was!

The 1803 update destroyed my display settings and for over 3 months I searched and tried every suggestion and every tool to fix it to no avail.

screenshot of the messed up display ...

It wasn't until someone at bleeping computer suggested that I run tweaking.com that Everything was fixed and all was right in the world ... once again!

That was months ago and it's been smooth sailing ever since!

https://www.tweaking.com/

Old 08-03-2018, 06:28 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,711,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claymoore View Post

Months ago, you and I were going back and forth on not being able to stop MS from forcing their updates on us peons.

You said that you had stopped them from ever updating your machine and I said .. just wait, the update 'will' be forced on you whether you are aware of it at the time or not.

The only ones exempted from the forced updates were the windows 10 enterprise and pros because most of those are business related.

Yea, MS started allowing you to delay the updates for a while but then one day ... Wham .. there it was!

The 1803 update destroyed my display settings and for over 3 months I searched and tried every suggestion and every tool to fix it to no avail.

It wasn't until someone at bleeping computer suggested that I run tweaking.com that Everything was fixed and all was right in the world ... once again!

You didn't tell me anything beyond the statement highlighted in lighter blue, much as I repeatedly asked you for the specifics of the problem you were having. You couldn't or wouldn't and I simply ran out of patience with that.

And the statement is still not true if you remain vigilant and proactive....as I have successfully kept my version 1709 intact. MS made it more difficult with their recent kb4023057 app, but my perseverance paid off with the finding of new solutions to keep them at bay. I outlined those in my post #48. They work....on Windows 10 Home.

Old 08-24-2018, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by claymoore View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
You didn't tell me anything beyond the statement highlighted in lighter blue, much as I repeatedly asked you for the specifics of the problem you were having. You couldn't or wouldn't and I simply ran out of patience with that.

And the statement is still not true if you remain vigilant and proactive....as I have successfully kept my version 1709 intact. MS made it more difficult with their recent kb4023057 app, but my perseverance paid off with the finding of new solutions to keep them at bay. I outlined those in my post #48. They work....on Windows 10 Home.
Yes, they work....for about 3 weeks. This afternoon MS forced 1803 down my throat, having changed my settings in services, and there was nothing I could do about it.

claymoore, in the end you were right, though it didn't use to be that way. It is now. I was able to keep MS's destructive, meddling paws off my computer for most of 2 years. The only reason I had 1709 was that I made a decision at the time (I don't remember why) to upgrade and enabled Windows Update for that purpose. Disabled it after that and was unperturbed until July 27th. It was then that they took control of my machine and obviously there was more to it than kb4023057, because I uninstalled that. But they have updated something that now allows them to take control of and override user settings in the control panel. Without your knowledge, of course.

So now I have 1803, which rendered my MS Money installation unusable. Fortunately, I was able to uninstall and reinstall it and so far it seems ok. But this just happened, so who knows what other havoc I will encounter in the next few days. Most other aps I haven't tried to run yet.

20 years ago, I was one of MS's biggest fans. They took a big bite out of that loyalty with the release of XP, and it's been downhill ever since.

Old 08-25-2018, 02:25 AM

1803 now gives me an audible tone and a written notification when I plug or unplug my headphones. Wow....how did I ever do without that?

Old 08-25-2018, 09:45 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,675,571 times
Wait until you click the wrong icon and it tells you that you made a mistake.

Apparently they had so much feedback from users that they couldn't tell if the headphones were plugged that they decided to help.

Old 08-25-2018, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Wait until you click the wrong icon and it tells you that you made a mistake.

Apparently they had so much feedback from users that they couldn't tell if the headphones were plugged that they decided to help.
I suppose I should be just thanking my lucky stars that my computer still boots.

But even at that, it's a quirky, much longer process now. Many more delays with turning circles....as though it's threatening to do something weird and annoying, then finally settles in and allows my use. So far, anyway.

1803 is another step backward in the long, long list of "upgrades" we've suffered.

Old 08-25-2018, 01:18 PM

3,886 posts, read 3,500,151 times
^ except that the updates fix security bugs, enable new hardware and have features many users like. If that's your definition of suffering, I'll take it.

Frankly, it's hard for me to understand you posters who don't want your security bugs fixed. You actually like vulnerability?

Old 08-26-2018, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
^ except that the updates fix security bugs, enable new hardware and have features many users like. If that's your definition of suffering, I'll take it.

Frankly, it's hard for me to understand you posters who don't want your security bugs fixed. You actually like vulnerability?
It is equally hard for me to understand you posters who eat lowest-common-denominator industry dogma with a fork and spoon.

Old 09-08-2018, 02:10 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,492,577 times
I had my first big 1803 problem last night. An update occured, and my laptop keyboard stopped working.

After a few hours of troubleshooting and trying different fixes, I found that a new or updated feature to do with added languages was the culprit. (I plugged in a usb keyboard in the meantime)

I had to add a new language, make it first choice, then return US English to my first choice, and voila, my keyboard turned back on. Settings -> Region & Language -> Add a language

This was a very annoying experience, obviously, I hope it's of some help to somebody else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers