Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2018, 06:20 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,697,978 times

Advertisements

If the connection on other devices seems ok, the next time you see speeds slow down on that one device - close all windows. Start task manager (ctrl-alt-del and select task manager) or search on windows bar for task manager. Then select networking tab and check your network usage. If it is high, then some service on your device is utilizing that bandwidth (like google drive/backup).

However, restarting your router shouldn't fix that problem.

A few other things to try:

- There could be local interference near your device. Try moving the working devices near the non-working device. If those other devices stop working, it is local interference. If they continue to work, it is certainly a problem local to that device.

- If applicable, try a wired connection to the router. If the issue goes away, it is local interference (check above) or the wireless adapter (more likely)

- Try a different wireless adapter

- If your router has a limitation on connected devices, it MIGHT be possible that it keeps booting your device off the network. Power down the other devices and see if the problem still happens
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2018, 06:25 AM

935 posts, read 1,648,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
wow, yes Deb I use Drive, mainly to send from these handheld to the home 'base'. so I will not uninstall. I s'pose that I will uninstall Drive tho ?

thanks for that !

Old 05-30-2018, 08:15 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,473,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burr View Post
yes, DSL, and I think it's just the laptop connection.
If this is the case, I would look at just the laptop for now and leave the router for later. I doubt it's the router since your other devices keep working?

1. Turn off bluetooth. I've seen cases where it will interfere with Wifi and cause it to drop connection.

2. Try turning Wifi off and back on from the button on the laptop if it has one. Some laptops don't have this. You could do the same from Windows itself if there is no button. You could also disconnect and reconnect from Windows (not the same as turning off/on Wifi).

3. Update drivers for the Wifi adapter, if available

4. Try changing the channel that your Wifi network is using. If it's set to "Auto" try changing it. If you're other devices are not disconnecting I doubt it's the channel, this is more of a long shot but worth a try if all else fails.

5. If you have a dual band router, try using 5ghz for the laptop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers