Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2018, 06:10 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,914,836 times

Advertisements

btw i change mine every 30 days just because i like security changes. Just wish my work security would stop reminding me every 15 days to change it..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2018, 06:11 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
The algorithm on that password checking site is less than optimal. I entered a password patterned after one I used to use and it said 100 years, but it has less than 36 bits entropy, and as such would be cracked in only a few days, by a professional. I did, however, assess a password my former net admin cracked as being too weak (22 minutes).

It is also possible that the algorithm assumes 1 CPU, whereas professionals today use multiple GPU's for cracking.

All in all, though, unless you are a crypto geek, it is a fairly decent assessment tool.
What site do you recommend we use?

Old 05-29-2018, 06:16 PM

2,189 posts, read 2,605,871 times
cool site

Old 05-30-2018, 05:54 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,699,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
How often should you change the password on your wireless router?
If you are talking about the password you use to access the admin control panel of the router... pretty much never. Especially if you only allow wired connections to access it. But, these days, fewer people have a wired connection to the router. If you are accessing that panel wirelessly, change it yearly. Write down the password and tape it physically to the router. Sure, if someone breaks into your house, they'll have your router password... but is that really a concern at that point?

Quote:
How can you find out if non-authorized people are accessing my wireless router?
Finding someone currently connected isn't too hard. There's a table of connected wireless devices. The information provided isn't always the most useful for a layperson. Sometimes the device name is actually reported - like "Dad's Laptop" or "Samsung Galaxy" or "Playstation 4." A foolproof way is to write down the entries in that table. Then, go ahead and change the key to access your wireless connection (different from the admin control panel password). You might as well do that anyway if you are concerned. Then go to each of the devices you use and update the password on those. Recheck that table on the router. Any difference between the tables is either an intruder or simply a device you forgot to reconnect to your wireless.

Some routers keep access logs which aren't that easy to read. And that's even if the logging capability is there. It might not be.

Quote:
We are currently stuck with DSL since we don't trust nor like our local cable TV provider and don't live in an area with higher speed network access than DSL. That means bandwidth access is limited. Spent my whole morning learning how to access my router on my laptop, changing network name and password, and reconnecting devices back to the network as well as manually disconnecting some devices from the router (like TV and DVD player for example). Our network speed and smart TV devices are just too slow to make them worth the time and effort. Currently the only devices connected are the satellite receiver, laptop, three smart phones, two tablets, and one printer.
That's good - it sounds like you are already doing the right things: updating passwords and checking devices.

When you talk about DSL and low bandwidth, one thing to keep in mind is that the low bandwidth only applies to devices that are accessing the internet. If any device is accessing data storage locally within your own network, the bandwidth will be far higher. Depending on your router, distance, signal strength, etc - you'd be getting 5, 10, 30Mbps. For example, your printer is a non-issue when it comes to bandwidth usage. It isn't accessing the internet at all. So, it isn't using that precious bandwidth from your DSL. If you are streaming something from the internet on your TV, then it IS using your DSL bandwidth. But, if you are streaming something on your TV from say... your PC where you have a digital copy of a movie, you are not using that DSL bandwidth - and the wireless should handle those speeds without too much of a problem.

Old 05-30-2018, 04:07 PM

8,918 posts, read 4,649,221 times
Quote:
The algorithm on that password checking site is less than optimal. I entered a password patterned after one I used to use and it said 100 years, but it has less than 36 bits entropy, and as such would be cracked in only a few days, by a professional. I did, however, assess a password my former net admin cracked as being too weak (22 minutes).

It is also possible that the algorithm assumes 1 CPU, whereas professionals today use multiple GPU's for cracking.

All in all, though, unless you are a crypto geek, it is a fairly decent assessment tool.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fumbling View Post
cool site
I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
What site do you recommend we use?
I was less than clear. I don't know of a better site.

Just for fun, you may want to check this out, though:
https://crackstation.net/

But the algorithm isn't optimized for password cracking, and I know there are professionals who can crack passwords in much less time.

Certainly, if you enter a password and it says it can easily be cracked, it is weak, but it will also, sometimes tell you that your password is strong, when it is not. Consequently, my passwords look somewhat like the ones you use. I avoid sequences that have a recognizable pattern.

I used to evaluate cryptographic algorithms for some rebellious kinds of people, but I am kinda retired from that now.

These are the machines we are up against today.
https://www.blackhillsinfosec.com/bu...80ti-gtx-1070/

Building A Password Cracking Machine With 5 GPU - Ethical Hacking Blog

https://arstechnica.com/information-...rd-in-6-hours/

Old 05-31-2018, 07:13 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,698,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post
btw i change mine every 30 days just because i like security changes. Just wish my work security would stop reminding me every 15 days to change it..
Dude... that's nuts.

Old 05-31-2018, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Dude... that's nuts.
I don't know if he was pulling our leg, or working for my old boss.
(Part of why I quit)

Old 06-01-2018, 12:58 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,914,836 times
Quote:
I don't know if he was pulling our leg, or working for my old boss.
(Part of why I quit)
At work, they force us to change our PC and office products PW every 30 day, and we 15, 10 and 3 day reminders about it.

At home, i change my WIFI password monthly due to the high traffic in our area. I can see about 30 differ SID, 2 are open and some are using less secure method. I have mine not to broadcast but we know sniffers can still see it. So just easy to change once a month.

Old 06-01-2018, 01:36 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,784,322 times
46 NONILLION YEARS here. That's a new word/number I just learned. OK, that's nice but no match for a keylogger.

Old 06-01-2018, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post
At work, they force us to change our PC and office products PW every 30 day, and we 15, 10 and 3 day reminders about it.

At home, i change my WIFI password monthly due to the high traffic in our area. I can see about 30 differ SID, 2 are open and some are using less secure method. I have mine not to broadcast but we know sniffers can still see it. So just easy to change once a month.
Still ridiculously often, but the good news is you will stay in practice

Where I worked, the site engineer decided we should run a maintenance routine quarterly, the HQ changed that to monthly, and my boss, who works next door to the site engineer decided to change that to weekly.

I am thankful that I don't work there any more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers