Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2018, 11:23 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,689,558 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post
We use MAC assigned and 30 day pw changes here at our office. So if somebody try to connect, it wont even let them get a IP if they are not on the MAC approve list. If somebody try to spoof the MAC, they wont get a IP as DHCP is off and they have exact count of devices to IP address, so if somebody manage to get a ip somebody will get a ip conflict and system will port block it till can be fixed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
30 days?!? Wow... that's really lame.
You have to wonder if they had a breach at some point and this is the result.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2018, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post
haha..

howsecureismypassword?

2 quintillion years

I just realized what you did here. LOL!!

Old 08-09-2018, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_RDNC View Post
Use some common sense and compare the two scenarios:

Change PW so often that you find yourself choosing them with patterns that actually make them easier to break.
Change PW so rarely that you feel OK about choosing some phrase is so complex that sounds like a Wookie trying to speak Klingon ... backwards.
A bank where I consulted required frequent password changes. Users would have so many they had used they would write them down.

Post-it on the monitor.
Under the keyboard
In the drawer
And the smartest ones - A post-it on the bottom of the drawer.

Better than 90% find rate in less than 30 seconds.

Didn't help if someone wanted to hack into the system, but anyone that had access to the desk... and some were in customer open areas.

Talking to management about it was like talking to a three year old. Absolutely no comprehension of what we were trying to convey. Someone told me once that one of the upper managers had a teenage boy work on his home computer and he was told by him to do this. He was too stupid to realize that kid is still laughing at him.

The man who owned a company I worked for for 22 years made a major software decision based on talking with someone on a plane.

Switch from Windows XP to Windows NT for all AutoCAD computers. It was an expensive, time consuming, disaster. We weren't allowed to test. Just put it on all AutoCAD computers. Now.

We're talking a few hundred computers, a **** pot full of down time, troubleshooting from Hell, and then removing the NT versions and going back to XP. A few hundred copies of NT sitting in the back room that were not ever going to be used.

And he did not learn from it. He came back from some show in Chicago and started in again. The thing is the man was not stupid. He just acted like he was sometimes.

Old 08-09-2018, 12:30 PM

16,546 posts, read 19,689,232 times
Too many people have no concept of security.

When I started my current job, the elevators ran from 7:30 - 5:30. Our receptionist works from 8:30 - 5.
So the office was basically open to ANYONE from 730-830 and 5-530.
They saw nothing wrong with this. "Well I don't want to deal with an elevator fob all the time!"
Yea.. too bad.

Old 08-09-2018, 12:33 PM

Yikes! Fob that! Fob it now!!

Old 08-10-2018, 01:50 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,914,101 times
I be the baby ducky in it..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axBtzSNir1E

Old 08-12-2018, 02:36 AM

23,171 posts, read 26,189,754 times
One of those ignorant questions.
My router is supplied by Comcast .Can I change password? Do I need to?
I just looked up properties and it's set to private with no sharing of any kind allowed
Memory (laughable word) tells me when setting up, there was a supposedly safe, split way to be a hot spot for other Comcast users, which I declined.

Old 08-12-2018, 03:33 AM

8,918 posts, read 4,643,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
One of those ignorant questions.
My router is supplied by Comcast .Can I change password? Do I need to?
I just looked up properties and it's set to private with no sharing of any kind allowed
Memory (laughable word) tells me when setting up, there was a supposedly safe, split way to be a hot spot for other Comcast users, which I declined.
It is a good question. Your "supplied" router's default password is on the bottom of the router. While this is better than the generic password used by some companies, it isn't completely secure (since it is possible the passwords used by comcast follow a pattern).

I will leave further answers to others here.

Old 08-13-2018, 05:12 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,914,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
It is a good question. Your "supplied" router's default password is on the bottom of the router. While this is better than the generic password used by some companies, it isn't completely secure (since it is possible the passwords used by comcast follow a pattern).

I will leave further answers to others here.
Yep most are easy to break.. for a while they setup with admin and last 4 digit of the mac address. btw is easy to find when your sniffing.

i would change it if it was me. ( im in network security job market, so its natural for me)

Old 08-28-2018, 04:42 AM

6 posts, read 3,789 times
Always choose password with a combination of upper,lower alphabets, digits(0-9) with symbols.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers