Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2018, 02:11 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,276,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
On the funny side, you can ask you AI-capable automobile to drive you home because you are drinking, instead of typing the whole thing. Typing is just like driving an automobile with a manual transmission, while voice is just "automatic."
Same thing may well be said about thought vs. voice (that is, why bother having to speak when you can just think what you want to have happen), though that may be more like 100 years off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2018, 09:33 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,183,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
Same thing may well be said about thought vs. voice (that is, why bother having to speak when you can just think what you want to have happen), though that may be more like 100 years off.
That's a good point, and something that has been talked about in movies. I have also read somewhere about experiments being conducted with pilot helmets trying to figure to communicate by thought. However, simple commands such as up/down, left/right, etc., are already possible by eye movement.

Old 07-20-2018, 09:37 PM

7,275 posts, read 5,285,135 times
What will average household computer look like in 10 years/ 20 years? (laptops, desktop)

Probably an implant

Or maybe 3D hologram view

VR will be mainstream

Old 07-21-2018, 01:20 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,597,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
That's a good point, and something that has been talked about in movies. I have also read somewhere about experiments being conducted with pilot helmets trying to figure to communicate by thought. However, simple commands such as up/down, left/right, etc., are already possible by eye movement.
I believe they probably have the ability/ technology to do this now. I recall reading about a plan back when the Iraq war was going on, the idea of sending mental images and voices to the jihadi fighters on the ground, of Mohammad himself. This would probably fall under the 'psychological warfare' dept.

Its interesting the movie 'The men that stare at goats' was a comedy, but in the beginning, they admit they have this ability/ technology and much more, the part when a guy was able to stop the beating heart of a goat was not made up, this really did happen! Im sure they have a much better understanding of how to use this kind of thing today too.

Old 07-25-2018, 11:40 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,454,330 times
Unless quantum computing takes off absolutely nothing will change.

Current advances have not been in hardware, they've been in software and the cloud.

Quantum computing will give us a paradigm shift because it will be a true revolution in the logic that goes into the decision making that occurs in computing. Our brains are probably a lot closer to quantum computing than they are bits and bytes. I question whether our brains are even capable of storing everything and if we don't operate under some type of "cloud" from a biological perspective. If you really think about it the way that computers have worked traditionally there is no possible way that we could do what we do with bits and bytes, and the "on" "off" logic; basically the way in which we have designed computers, there is no possible way that the human brain could work in that same way. I am not saying that there will never be any advances in AI, but I am saying that there has to be a better way out there. I doubt that increases in more RAM, more storage, more speed, are going to accomplish anything significant at the end of the day. How does one explain how you can magnify something by a factor of a million and you still don't see pixels? Why are computers limited in this way? With "analog" you take a picture and it is what it is. We can get the resolution in digital, especially when it comes to audio, but it is not worth investing the resources. Instead everything is just "good enough".

As others have stated that way of doing things has gotten us to plateau. Physics is getting in the way of larger batteries for the smartphone, or packing in smaller components. We need a real game changer in display technology, so that a smartphone could last for weeks or months instead of 10 hours. And I would like to see this accomplished with smaller batteries. There has to be some type of breakthrough on the horizon that will make advances in personal computing significant and interesting again.

Old 07-25-2018, 12:44 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,597,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
Unless quantum computing takes off absolutely nothing will change.

Current advances have not been in hardware, they've been in software and the cloud.

Quantum computing will give us a paradigm shift because it will be a true revolution in the logic that goes into the decision making that occurs in computing. Our brains are probably a lot closer to quantum computing than they are bits and bytes. I question whether our brains are even capable of storing everything and if we don't operate under some type of "cloud" from a biological perspective. If you really think about it the way that computers have worked traditionally there is no possible way that we could do what we do with bits and bytes, and the "on" "off" logic; basically the way in which we have designed computers, there is no possible way that the human brain could work in that same way. I am not saying that there will never be any advances in AI, but I am saying that there has to be a better way out there. I doubt that increases in more RAM, more storage, more speed, are going to accomplish anything significant at the end of the day. How does one explain how you can magnify something by a factor of a million and you still don't see pixels? Why are computers limited in this way? With "analog" you take a picture and it is what it is. We can get the resolution in digital, especially when it comes to audio, but it is not worth investing the resources. Instead everything is just "good enough".

As others have stated that way of doing things has gotten us to plateau. Physics is getting in the way of larger batteries for the smartphone, or packing in smaller components. We need a real game changer in display technology, so that a smartphone could last for weeks or months instead of 10 hours. And I would like to see this accomplished with smaller batteries. There has to be some type of breakthrough on the horizon that will make advances in personal computing significant and interesting again.
We are kind of at the point where any huge breakthroughs or truly groundbreaking technology that is great for people,(the general public), but on the other hand, it starts to be a bad thing for Govt/ authority. the more people can do with their computers/ electronic devices, the less control the system has over them, and their ability to exert authority.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers