Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2018, 11:43 PM

3,099 posts, read 2,002,297 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
100% agree with Malloric.. i'd be skeptical of this company not willing to bend at all for you.
Just wanted to provide an update. The local place will rent 1 device with a 3-day minimum... $9+ per day, depending on device. Unsure of other details, like if there are admin fees for opening an acct, but it's a moot point atm.

Haven't heard back from her for the 3rd time & since she's blown me off so many times, as I mentioned last post, I'd not waste my time paying $1 to interview with her, so I'm not renting anything or driving far away. However, because I am professional, if I missed her call & she left VM w/a scheduled interview time, I would call back to tell her I wouldn't be coming. She probably found enough local candidates who can show up without any effort on her part (evident by her not wanting to set up Skype)... or, they could just be better candidates. Either way, I'd end it politely.

I'll be gone from the site for awhile. Just wanted to let others know, in the event they're ever stuck & need a laptop or phone for a few days... such places do exist.

Have a fun summer, All!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2018, 07:29 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,694,332 times
Thanks! We love when people follow up.

Old 07-11-2018, 07:32 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,503,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Typical.Girl View Post
Just wanted to provide an update. The local place will rent 1 device with a 3-day minimum... $9+ per day, depending on device. Unsure of other details, like if there are admin fees for opening an acct, but it's a moot point atm.

Haven't heard back from her for the 3rd time & since she's blown me off so many times, as I mentioned last post, I'd not waste my time paying $1 to interview with her, so I'm not renting anything or driving far away. However, because I am professional, if I missed her call & she left VM w/a scheduled interview time, I would call back to tell her I wouldn't be coming. She probably found enough local candidates who can show up without any effort on her part (evident by her not wanting to set up Skype)... or, they could just be better candidates. Either way, I'd end it politely.

I'll be gone from the site for awhile. Just wanted to let others know, in the event they're ever stuck & need a laptop or phone for a few days... such places do exist.

Have a fun summer, All!
Thanks! That’s a pretty reasonable rental. Good luck on your job search!

Old 07-11-2018, 07:46 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,453,043 times
Isn't Skype the standard for this type of thing I'd think FaceTime would be something people would use on a personal basis, not professional.

Old 07-11-2018, 08:42 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,694,332 times
There really is no standard but no company on earth today in our modern age should ever say "Sorry, we only use this one proprietary method. We cannot accommodate any other!"

Old 07-11-2018, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
There really is no standard but no company on earth today in our modern age should ever say "Sorry, we only use this one proprietary method. We cannot accommodate any other!"
True. Just seems like Skype has this image of being a gold standard for VoIP, the FaceTime thing seemed weird. But I agree if you want a candidate you're going to do what you need to do to interview them.

Old 07-11-2018, 10:25 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,573,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
Isn't Skype the standard for this type of thing I'd think FaceTime would be something people would use on a personal basis, not professional.
+1; but i think webex is becoming the business standard now.

the term skype is becomming a generic. kinda' like how i google things on duckduckgo.

Old 07-11-2018, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
+1; but i think webex is becoming the business standard now.

the term skype is becomming a generic. kinda' like how i google things on duckduckgo.
True

Old 07-11-2018, 11:23 AM

2,360 posts, read 1,914,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
havent tried it. so someone on android(duo) can call someone with ifone(face-time) ? if so then she can hope that duo is on windows-fone as well (or borrow an android device).

i know with hangouts, my ifone friends would have to download hangouts first in order to join a group call.

i find it skeptical that this company is purposefully choosing the most restrictive program with the least features to do something thats fairly trivial.
They would have to download the app but it is apple compatible.
https://www.cnet.com/products/google-duo/

Old 07-11-2018, 12:12 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,573,907 times
^ so isnt skype, webex, tango, .... the problem is that the hiring manager in the op refuses to use anything not made by apple, inc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers