Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2018, 11:55 AM

946 posts, read 775,777 times

Advertisements

I've been using a laptop for years in my home. My normal set up is that I run it on Wifi from the router all the time. I also started using a NordVPN a few months ago. I just got sucked into the advertising pretty much.

The cable guy was here the other day because I had some connectivity issues (unrelated). According to him, if I'm using a router and connecting to the internet via Wifi (not ethernet), I'm already connecting via a VPN, and no need for a VPN. So I'm feeling crazy now that I paid for the VPN.

Is this right? Is the VPN basically worthless since I'm using Wifi from the router and not using the ethernet of the computer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2018, 01:26 PM

16,548 posts, read 19,698,509 times
No, that's not at all correct. Not even remotely. It's almost embarrassing how wrong he is.

The #1 advantage of VPN is security. All your internet traffic is encrypted from end to end. This is NOT the case with just 'plain wifi'. Not at all.

How Does a VPN Work?
Here’s how a VPN works for you, the user. You start the VPN client (software) from your VPN service. This software encrypts your data, even before your Internet Service Provider or the coffee shop WiFi provider sees it. The data then goes to the VPN, and from the VPN server to your online destination — anything from your bank website to a video sharing website to a search engine. The online destination sees your data as coming from the VPN server and its location, and not from your computer and your location.

https://thebestvpn.com/what-is-vpn-beginners-guide/

Old 09-25-2018, 01:45 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,915,241 times
Please tell the tech he is a complete moron and needs to go back to school..

@Peregrine has the best answer period..

But for sakes of others getting wrong info,, call the company and tell them they hired a complete moron.

Old 09-25-2018, 03:06 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,248,009 times
Cable techs are amusing if you know what you’re doing. They can be dangerous if you don’t.

Peregrine is correct.

One advantage of you using a VPN is that your ISP (the cable company) only sees encrypted traffic to a server somewhere. They don’t know what you are looking or where your traffic is from.

In addition to privacy, it also gives you the appearance of location independence - I can watch UK Netflix through NordVPN (not all VPNs work this way).

The disadvantage is like taking a flight with a stopover instead of a direct flight. If you are flying between NY and LA it is faster to go directly instead of through Chicago or Dallas. Your internet packets are the same way.

NordVPN is good at home but great when connecting via public WiFi or when outside the US.

Old 09-25-2018, 04:09 PM

946 posts, read 775,777 times
Thanks for all of these remarks. Now I don't feel like a moron. I did pay for 3 years of the VPN.

Old 09-25-2018, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazin65 View Post
Thanks for all of these remarks. Now I don't feel like a moron. I did pay for 3 years of the VPN.
If you like, and decide to renew later, keep an eye out for deals. I think I got 2 years for $30 or close to that.

Old 09-26-2018, 08:51 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,477,098 times
A VPN is like a "go between" between you and the internet. It encrypts all of your traffic and hides your IP address from the rest of the world. So as far as anybody else is concerned you are at the alternate location. You ISP "sees" the traffic but it is encrypted. Some ISP's may frown on this. Mine works fine. I am on Spectrum BTW.

You can in fact set up your router to work with a VPN. This may be what the tech was talking about but they sure don't automatically come like that. There are advantages and disadvantages to this. This would allow all of the people connected via wifi to the router to automatically be on a VPN. This could be a problem though, some sites don't allow VPN traffic. I think Amazon is one from my experience and it doesn't happen all the time.

Setting up a router with NordVPN

Old 09-26-2018, 09:54 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,562,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazin65 View Post
The cable guy was here the other day because I had some connectivity issues (unrelated). According to him, if I'm using a router and connecting to the internet via Wifi (not ethernet), I'm already connecting via a VPN, and no need for a VPN. So I'm feeling crazy now that I paid for the VPN.
More than likely the moron theory is correct, but there is something known as a VPN router. However, I assume you don't have one of those however.

https://www.sabaitechnology.com/vpn-routers/

Old 09-27-2018, 07:54 PM

354 posts, read 281,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Cable techs are amusing if you know what you’re doing. They can be dangerous if you don’t.

Peregrine is correct.

One advantage of you using a VPN is that your ISP (the cable company) only sees encrypted traffic to a server somewhere. They don’t know what you are looking or where your traffic is from.

In addition to privacy, it also gives you the appearance of location independence - I can watch UK Netflix through NordVPN (not all VPNs work this way).

The disadvantage is like taking a flight with a stopover instead of a direct flight. If you are flying between NY and LA it is faster to go directly instead of through Chicago or Dallas. Your internet packets are the same way.

NordVPN is good at home but great when connecting via public WiFi or when outside the US.
+1

I've been paying $8 a month for a VPN ever since I spent a year working outside the US. I had not realized just how much is actually on Netflix depending on what country you are in until then. There's even a search engine called unogs that shows you the entire Netflix catalog and which countries the show/movie is accessible from.

Old 09-28-2018, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happygeek View Post
+1

I've been paying $8 a month for a VPN ever since I spent a year working outside the US. I had not realized just how much is actually on Netflix depending on what country you are in until then. There's even a search engine called unogs that shows you the entire Netflix catalog and which countries the show/movie is accessible from.
A good example is Star Trek Discocery. In the US you need to pay monthly for CBS All Access. In the UK it is available free with Netflix.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers