Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2018, 02:36 PM

28 posts, read 30,117 times

Advertisements

I am thinking about getting the Acer Spin 5 and I see it has an IPS panel. The acer laptop I have now is LED LCD. Does the IPS panel display dark areas darker than the laptop I have now? I had to return a Samsung Galaxy tablet because the dark areas were displaying darker than on my other devices. It had an an OLED screen. Will the IPS do the same as the OLED screen? It was displaying the dark areas darker than they should be, so dark that I couldn't see details of those dark areas especially in dark scenes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2018, 10:49 AM

295 posts, read 354,285 times
Yes, generally IPS panels are more capable of displaying darker blacks and more accurate color than regular LCD. But you should be able to adjust the brightness to your preference.

Old 10-12-2018, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtvaj125 View Post
Yes, generally IPS panels are more capable of displaying darker blacks and more accurate color than regular LCD. But you should be able to adjust the brightness to your preference.

brightness isn't a specific enough preference that needs to be changed in order to change this, in the HP laptop I had to return due to it being anti-glare screen, there was an option to change gamma from 0%-100%.

Old 10-13-2018, 06:50 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,923,004 times
IPS should be good.

OLED is an emissive display technology, meaning that each pixel emits its own light. To make an area dark, you simply turn off the power. You can get actual black with this method, and remarkable contrast between bright and dark areas. This is one of the main benefits of an OLED screen.

LED LCD screens use a normal LED as a backlight and an LCD panel to control the picture. LCD is an absorptive technology that selectively blocks light. It can never perfectly block the light, so the darkness of the darkest area will be a little bright. The brighter you make the screen, the brighter the darkest black will be. IPS is a kind of LCD panel. It has better contrast, better color reproduction, and much better viewing angles.

Traditional thinking is that the OLED is the best screen in terms of picture. The dark darks you don’t like are probably more accurate. They generally do better in dark rooms where you can appreciate that detail.

Old 10-14-2018, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
IPS should be good.

OLED is an emissive display technology, meaning that each pixel emits its own light. To make an area dark, you simply turn off the power. You can get actual black with this method, and remarkable contrast between bright and dark areas. This is one of the main benefits of an OLED screen.

LED LCD screens use a normal LED as a backlight and an LCD panel to control the picture. LCD is an absorptive technology that selectively blocks light. It can never perfectly block the light, so the darkness of the darkest area will be a little bright. The brighter you make the screen, the brighter the darkest black will be. IPS is a kind of LCD panel. It has better contrast, better color reproduction, and much better viewing angles.

Traditional thinking is that the OLED is the best screen in terms of picture. The dark darks you don’t like are probably more accurate. They generally do better in dark rooms where you can appreciate that detail.

why would OLED be better if you are losing video material which means you are unable to see many details due to the dark areas being darker compared to other devices, I was watching Supergirl, a dark scene, it looked like they were all wearing black on the OLED screen, you couldnt even see the arm separation, I watched it on my other devices and they weren't wearing all black, you could see the wrinkles of their clothes, buttons, arm separation, and other detail I was unable to see on the OLED samsung galaxy tablet screen.

Old 10-15-2018, 06:45 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,923,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RatherUnique2018 View Post
why would OLED be better if you are losing video material which means you are unable to see many details due to the dark areas being darker compared to other devices, I was watching Supergirl, a dark scene, it looked like they were all wearing black on the OLED screen, you couldnt even see the arm separation, I watched it on my other devices and they weren't wearing all black, you could see the wrinkles of their clothes, buttons, arm separation, and other detail I was unable to see on the OLED samsung galaxy tablet screen.
I'm not sure what's wrong with your particular device, but OLED is much better in terms of contrast and accurate reproduction of blacks. I suspect you've either got something wrong with the gamma on your samsung tablet or maybe you just prefer the less accurate reproduction of LCD screens. The other issue is that OLED screens can't ever get as bright. They are generally better in dark rooms than in brightly lit ones. Even traditional LCD screens are pretty awful in bright sunlight, where something like an eInk screen is amazing. I'd say stay away from OLEDs if you don't think they're much better, because they are MUCH more expensive.

As for IPS, I swear by IPS. It is better at color reproduction and has much better viewing angles. It's a kind of LCD, so won't have the same issues you seem to have with OLED screens. I'd definitely recommend looking at some IPS screens in a showroom to make sure you like the screen, as IPS is generally more expensive than the more standard TN type panel you may be used to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers