Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2018, 12:27 PM

1,677 posts, read 2,530,342 times

Advertisements

Presently have a windows 7 laptop purchased in 2012 and loaded Microsoft Office Home and business 2010. I plan to buy a new laptop in early 2019. The Office software I purchased was for up to 2 computers and I only loaded it on my windows 7 laptop, so I believe I can still load the office software on one additional laptop that has Windows 10. The question is should I?

I have Outlook, Word and Excel on my windows 7 laptop and I don't really want to learn new versions of Word or Excel. I would prefer to keep and use the Office 2010 versions.

I know that the Office 2010 software will no longer be supported after 2020, but, I really hate to spend $279 for the Office 2019 version unless there is a good reason to do so. ( I don't want to go the yearly license route for software because I tend to keep my computers for 7 or 8 years.)

As it is I will have to replace other software programs I have been using for 10 - 15 years because they are too old to work with windows 10. So, is it worth it to use the Office 2010 software on a new windows 10 laptop and save $279 or is it better to replace it as well?

I hate setting up a new computer, so, I will probably buy from Staples in store and take advantage of their free 30 day tech support to set it up. First thing to go will be the windows 10 touch screen feature and they will need to set it up with a mouse for left handed operation. I just want to have everything set up at once, so I need to make a decision about the Office 2019 software before I buy the new laptop.

I will be keeping my windows 7 laptop as a backup - as it is still working ok.

Appreciate your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2018, 01:07 PM

6,562 posts, read 11,200,245 times
All of these decisions are fairly personal. Meaning I can give you a bunch of reason to upgrade (or not), and it may not apply to you.

That said - If you are simply using these for occasional personal use - you can try their online version - which is free (live.com). The caveat to this is that, obviously, you can only access it when you are connected. But you can still use your old version regardless. If nothing else, this gives you a way to "test drive" the newer versions. The online version is certainly not the same feel as the desktop version - however, it can still give you an idea of how the features are laid out. Just as a FYI - the change from 2010 to 2016 is fairly dramatic (Actually the big change was with 2013).

In the end - the "good reason to do so" in terms of upgrading should come from you. Certainly new versions will have more features, etc. Then again, are they features that you will use and be worth the price?

Finally - you also have G Suites that gives you competing solutions for less than Microsoft (or free, if you go with the personal version).

There are also other options like LibreOffice.

Old 10-17-2018, 02:20 PM

21,678 posts, read 24,828,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary2014 View Post
Presently have a windows 7 laptop purchased in 2012 and loaded Microsoft Office Home and business 2010. I plan to buy a new laptop in early 2019. The Office software I purchased was for up to 2 computers and I only loaded it on my windows 7 laptop, so I believe I can still load the office software on one additional laptop that has Windows 10. The question is should I?

I have Outlook, Word and Excel on my windows 7 laptop and I don't really want to learn new versions of Word or Excel. I would prefer to keep and use the Office 2010 versions.

I know that the Office 2010 software will no longer be supported after 2020, but, I really hate to spend $279 for the Office 2019 version unless there is a good reason to do so. ( I don't want to go the yearly license route for software because I tend to keep my computers for 7 or 8 years.)

As it is I will have to replace other software programs I have been using for 10 - 15 years because they are too old to work with windows 10. So, is it worth it to use the Office 2010 software on a new windows 10 laptop and save $279 or is it better to replace it as well?

I hate setting up a new computer, so, I will probably buy from Staples in store and take advantage of their free 30 day tech support to set it up. First thing to go will be the windows 10 touch screen feature and they will need to set it up with a mouse for left handed operation. I just want to have everything set up at once, so I need to make a decision about the Office 2019 software before I buy the new laptop.

I will be keeping my windows 7 laptop as a backup - as it is still working ok.

Appreciate your input.
Most of the changes are in collaborative tools with the later additions. Unless you need them, there is nothing essential. I was quite happy with 2010. The only reason I'm not still happily using it is I have Office 365 now. I subscribe for One Drive and 365 is just a freebie. Office 365 is better. I wouldn't pay for it though.

There's not much learning curve. I hop back and forth between 365, which is really just leased 2019, and 2010. Keep 2010 imo.

Old 10-18-2018, 08:09 AM

16,471 posts, read 19,505,415 times
A) Get new laptop.
B) Keep 2010. It will not stop magically working on you, it just won't get security updates. This is not that big a deal for most people. OR get $2019 if you really want the bells and whistles. One cool thing it does that 2010 does not is CONVERT PDF FILES TO WORD.
C) You do NOT need someone to help you set it up. Windows 10 is like 5 clicks on a new PC and you're rolling.

Old 10-22-2018, 09:54 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,342,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary2014 View Post

Dump Microsoft Office entirely. Go with Open Office for free. OpenOffice.org and download it for Windows, Mac or Linux systems. We use it on all the works stations in the office and have for years.

Old 10-23-2018, 07:33 AM

16,471 posts, read 19,505,415 times
I try Open Office every few years. Every few years I am reminded why it sucks.

Old 10-23-2018, 12:26 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,525,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Took the words right out of my mouth.

Old 10-23-2018, 12:30 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,525,315 times
For the mouse you go to control panel/mouse and click on the check box "Switch primary and secondary buttons" to change to a left hand mouse setup.

Once you have version 10 you can come here and get help accessing the control panel if you need it.

There's no reason the move away from Office 2010. Lack of support? Meh. It's not an OS so the "no support" is of minimal concern.

When we upgraded we wanted to keep Office 2003. Nope. MS would not let us install it. Jerks.

Old 10-23-2018, 08:07 PM

674 posts, read 601,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Libre Office, a derivative of Open Office, is actually quite good. I used Excel a good bit, and Calc (the Libre Office spreadsheet) is as good as Excel. And it's free.

Old 10-25-2018, 08:14 AM

1,677 posts, read 2,530,342 times
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I think I will hold off until I do my taxes at the beginning of the year using my present Windows 7 computer. Once that is done I will buy a new laptop (17inch) with windows 10. I need the wider screen due to aging eyesight, needing larger print working with Excel spreadsheets.

I will load my second copy of Microsoft office home and business 2010 on the new computer. This way I will still have Outlook on this new machine as well as Office and Excel. The older I get the less I like having to adapt to newer software when the existing software already meets my needs. As it is I will have to purchase some new software programs, because, my present versions are too old to work on windows 10.

I do like Staples policy of free tech support for 30 days if I buy in store. They will make sure all of my email settings, favorites settings etc. get transferred from my old computer to the new computer. Will also have them install a virus protection program that will allow me to bring the laptop to them to fix if I ever have problems with a virus.

I know many of you think that most of this I could do on my own, but, at my age I don't want to deal with the frustration. Similar to why I take my car to my local mechanic to check over my vehicle before winter comes and do an oil change and put new windshield wipers on my car.

Now, if I had just planned ahead and had children/grandchildren I could have had my own tech support team.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers