Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2019, 06:11 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,564,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
IBM sold their PC division to Lenovo well over a decade ago. There is no more IBM in a Lenovo desktop or laptop.
OK, well I am going by what I was told. $350 and it's a good computer. I bought it at Best Buy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2019, 06:15 PM

1,065 posts, read 471,986 times
Quote:
IBM sold their PC division to Lenovo well over a decade ago. There is no more IBM in a Lenovo desktop or laptop.
This is true. One thing to note, however:

Many of the ThinkPads (T, X, W, P) are still designed by the same engineers from IBM (now employed by Lenovo, of course). And in the US, these ThinkPads are supported by IBM.

So it wasn't simply a selling of the brand. The engineering team stayed intact.

Old 11-24-2019, 08:27 AM

4,195 posts, read 1,600,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldgorilla View Post
This is true. One thing to note, however:

Many of the ThinkPads (T, X, W, P) are still designed by the same engineers from IBM (now employed by Lenovo, of course). And in the US, these ThinkPads are supported by IBM.

So it wasn't simply a selling of the brand. The engineering team stayed intact.

in 2007 i was trained by an IBM field tech to service Lenovo equipment...the help desk we call to was still IBM people in Atlanta..but yes IBM only retains the server side..Lenovo or "Foxconn" is actually a huge city sized factory in China..

Buying a computer is not like buying a car was years ago..they are made from thousands of many subcontracted parts..when i started there was a system wide batch of leaky capacitors that affected many companies computers lol

Old 11-24-2019, 04:26 PM

21,882 posts, read 25,146,349 times
Quote:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/JHkp27

About $330 before you add Windows, which is $100. There are cheaper sources for Windows on eBay.
But they're pirated versions. If you're going to steal the software, just steal it imo. Don't pay someone else some money for the stolen software rather than just steal it yourself.

Old 11-24-2019, 07:20 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,248,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
But they're pirated versions. If you're going to steal the software, just steal it imo. Don't pay someone else some money for the stolen software rather than just steal it yourself.
The $5 ones are pirated or are volume keys. There are others that do appear legit.

Old 11-24-2019, 07:28 PM

Quote:
The $5 ones are pirated or are volume keys. There are others that do appear legit.
The easiest way to tell is to confirm that it comes in the Retail Microsoft Windows Box Packaging. That is the only packaging that Microsoft allows you to purchase Windows separately, with the exception of direct purchase through Microsoft or select retailers (insight, etc) for download or OEM licenses (which must be bundled with OEM hardware - like a computer purchased from HP, Dell, etc.).

Old 11-24-2019, 07:38 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,210,098 times
Do you have Micro Center near you? I've always found them very helpful. Go during a weekday if you can, as opposed to weekend, and let them know what you are looking for. Their sales people typically know what they are doing and can help you clarify what will work best for you in your price point - but realistically speaking, I think you are going to need to go with a refurb

Old 11-24-2019, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geneyus View Post
I'm looking for a desktop computer, and I really only need the computer (no monitor, etc). It seems like Amazon and a few other places only try to sell you refurbished items. They're sneaky because some listings only have the word refurbished in the description, not the header.

Here's my wish list:
Windows 10
At least 8 GB Ram (more, the better)
Pretty good speed (3.2 Ghz?)
I'd prefer not to spend more than about $300-350

Is this doable? Help me out!
This is $6 more than your high end but has a lot going for it:

https://www.cdw.com/product/hp-prode...gb-256/5525325

Windows 10: Check
8GB of RAM (and upgradeable): Check
Pretty good speed: See Below
Price: $356 once you log in to the site

Additional Pros:
- Reliable Seller
- 3 year on-site Manufacturer Warranty (they come to you to fix, you don't have to ship it out)
- High Quality business build - not cheap consumer build
- Brand New, Not Refurbished
- Includes Windows

Cons:
- Price is slightly above your top range
- No CD-ROM drive built in if you need that (external drives are cheap)
- Not as easily expandable if you want to add gaming video cards, or other specialized hardware

Back to Speed (that I referenced above). I wanted to provide comparison to the options provided:

407% faster and $43 cheaper than this suggestion:

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
I buy refurbished and they are as good as new but out of curiosity, I went looking. I could not find what you are looking for for less than $500. Main issue is processor speed. One over 2GB, they get pricey. Here is one but nowhere near as fast as you want.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/dell-in...?skuId=4639004
40% faster and $61 more than this suggestion:

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvis44102 View Post
believe it or not walmart has a good selection of stuff
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Refurbish...luded/55765992

just watch what generation of cpu you get...this one is 4th generation
27% faster and $84 cheaper than this suggestion (after purchasing Windows and you don't have to build it yourself)

Quote:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/JHkp27

About $330 before you add Windows, which is $100. There are cheaper sources for Windows on eBay.
Each of these computers are different in storage. But only my suggestion and the last two meet your speed requirements.

Old 11-25-2019, 09:49 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,572,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Do you have Micro Center near you? I've always found them very helpful. Go during a weekday if you can, as opposed to weekend, and let them know what you are looking for. Their sales people typically know what they are doing and can help you clarify what will work best for you in your price point - but realistically speaking, I think you are going to need to go with a refurb
The Micro Center refurbished computers are reliable. I would choose a business-class desktop or laptop model so that you have the benefit of reliability from that perspective as well. You can get one for under $100. Since the extended warranty is based on the purchase price, it's very cheap to get a desktop with a 2-year extended warranty.

Old 11-25-2019, 11:53 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,248,009 times
I bet there will be some deals from Dell or other vendors on Friday or Monday. A way to clear out 2019 CPU stock before the next gen are sold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers